The movie you just watched

F250

On 1/8/2021 at 10:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m watching Eyes Wide Shut for the first time. Patiently waiting for it to get super f***ed up, because Kubrick. 

edit: That didn’t take long. 

I say this from a place of love. 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies.   

I’m pulling my rep of Eyes Wide Shut. WTH did I just watch? Tom Cruise goes to an ORGY and fails to f*** anything. Kubrick has waxed philosophically on some of the deepest, primal questions that mankind has ever asked themselves, and his final film tackles infidelity/ trust in which neither partner is truly unfaithful. 

Kubrick goes from demanding 90 takes from Jack Nicholson in The Shining to it’s been a great run, good bye world! Here’s a movie where nothing really happens. And oh yeah, suck on Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman working on their martial issues in real time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 1/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I say this from a place of love. 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies.   

I’m pulling my rep of Eyes Wide Shut. WTH did I just watch? Tom Cruise goes to an ORGY and fails to f*** anything. Kubrick has waxed philosophically on some of the deepest, primal questions that mankind has ever asked themselves, and his final film tackles infidelity/ trust in which neither partner is truly unfaithful. 

Kubrick goes from demanding 90 takes from Jack Nicholson in The Shining to it’s been a great run, good bye world! Here’s a movie where nothing really happens. And oh yeah, suck on Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman working on their martial issues in real time. 

I love 2001 and Eyes Wide and Shining are worth a look and great, respectively, but not sure what your point is, given that Kubrick has done so many other great movies.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:24 AM, tx 3 putt said:

King of Staten Island - not a bad watch. I’m guessing Davidson is a huge douche in real life 

He is. He's a shitty stand-up and his last special opened by talking a bunch of shit about Louis C.K. I was a little embarrassed for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

White Heat (1949) with James Cagney, Edmond O'Brien and Virginia Mayo.  

It is a prison/gangster movie with Cagney playing the bad guy in an over-the-top fashion.  Edmond is a federal agent posing as a thug to infiltrate psychopathic hoodlum Cody Jarrett's gang of thieves while in prison.

A lot of these movies are ridiculous in some fashion but I always enjoy them for that.

Saboteur (1942) Directed by Alfred Hitchcock.  It stars Robert Cummins as the innocent man foiling the Cops/Feds as he chases the true saboteur (Norman Lloyd) across the US in order to catch him to prove his innocence.  Along the way he hooks up with the easy-on-the-eyes Priscilla Lane.  Naturally she questions him but ultimately falls in love with him.

Hitchcock wanted bigger names to do this flick but none were either available or wanted to do the movie so he went with the second, third or fourth options.

I really enjoy old movies despite their hokeyness, plot gaps, regarded situations, and over-the-top performances.  It is hard to beat an old black and white film.

• Hook 'Em 1

Revisited Hereditary.  It's very well done and I noticed a few things I missed the first time I saw it, mainly

Spoiler

the fact that when they do the day to night shot transition after Peter gets home from school after he knocks himself out all of the naked cultists are standing outside the house in the night shot.  Pretty creepy.

3 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Revisited Hereditary.  It's very well done and I noticed a few things I missed the first time I saw it, mainly

Hide contents

the fact that when they do the day to night shot transition after Peter gets home from school after he knocks himself out all of the naked cultists are standing outside the house in the night shot.  Pretty creepy.

that whole movie is creepy as fuck.  it lingers in my mind long enough to not require a 2nd watch

A Serious Man. It was okay; enjoyed it well enough, but my sense is that you have to be a Jew to truly appreciate it entirely as this felt like the Coen's love letter to the American Jew (and, as a few reviewers noted, is the type of film you have the liberty to make when you win Academy Awards).

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 1/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Go Pokes said:

My parents took me to Blazing Saddles when I was 10.  You win.  

February of 1974 is when Blazing Saddles was released. My dad took my older sister and older brother, and myself, to the movie theater across the river and told the lady in the old outside ticket booth to "let them in" because he and my mother were going to dinner at the restaurant across the street. I was eight. I guess they couldn't get a babysitter on short notice. They ate a quick dinner and stayed at the restaurant and watched for us to come out of the theater.

Watching it now, seen it several times.

Out of the Furnace.

Bale, Dafoe, Harrelson, Affleck the younger.

Kind of an incomplete story, and in total a dissatisfying film, but full of pretty good scenes.  Set in a dying mill town, which always intrigues me.  Also, implicates the Ramapo hill people in SW NJ, which I didn't know was kind of a lawless backwater originally inhabited by Ramapo Indians and "halfbreeds," but has attracted a general-purpose lawless crowd.

Harrelson does a heel turn, which he is really pretty good at.  He exudes non-specific menace.

Reminds me a little of Winter's Bone because of the cultural elements, but not as good a film.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 1/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, Continental Op said:

Reveal hidden contents

Really good film. Says a lot about human social behavior and how our society functions in general. I found it as thought-provoking as I did scary. 

Pan’s Labyrinth. Oy, what a waste of time that was. Really mediocre, cannot for the live of me understand why people like it, and then I remember this was the shape of water director and remember he’s the worst. How can such attempts at fantasy be so uninteresting? Even bad fantasy films are interesting.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Pan’s Labyrinth. Oy, what a waste of time that was. Really mediocre, cannot for the live of me understand why people like it, and then I remember this was the shape of water director and remember he’s the worst. How can such attempts at fantasy be so uninteresting? Even bad fantasy films are interesting.

I think you underrate both Pan's Labyrinth and a Serious Man pretty significantly, especially Pan's.  I wasn't a huge fan of Shape of Water, but mostly because it didn't come close to doing what Pan's Labyrinth did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I think you underrate both Pan's Labyrinth and a Serious Man pretty significantly, especially Pan's.  I wasn't a huge fan of Shape of Water, but mostly because it didn't come close to doing what Pan's Labyrinth did.

I can agree about A Serious Man. I could see how one would fall in love with that film.

pan’s was boring to me and the female leads, all three, were unintentionally unlikeable and the villain is a bad cliche. The fantastical elements, from a technical or cinematography perspective were fine, but as part of the story it felt as if it was half baked. Either go all in with cool fever dream or saccharine it up with fantasy cheese in the wheel house of a teenager. I’m curious your take on what was special about this film because I was left thinking it was boring, uninteresting in the fantasy elements, and never got out of 2nd gear.

22 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

pan’s was boring to me and the female leads, all three, were unintentionally unlikeable and the villain is a bad cliche. The fantastical elements, from a technical or cinematography perspective were fine, but as part of the story it felt as if it was half baked. Either go all in with cool fever dream or saccharine it up with fantasy cheese in the wheel house of a teenager. I’m curious your take on what was special about this film because I was left thinking it was boring, uninteresting in the fantasy elements, and never got out of 2nd gear.

I was kind of taken in by the Spanish Civil War angle as well as the links to "Spirit of the Beehive".  With those backdrops I kind of gave in to the fantasy aspects of the film (child's perspective) and just though he took a risk and it worked perfectly.

The "not out of 2nd gear" is an interesting take -- it certainly didn't have a big ending and that is part of why I liked it. I didn't see it at all as half baked - I think Del Toro baked it just as much as he wanted. 

Watching it now, seen it several times.
Out of the Furnace.
Bale, Dafoe, Harrelson, Affleck the younger.
Kind of an incomplete story, and in total a dissatisfying film, but full of pretty good scenes.  Set in a dying mill town, which always intrigues me.  Also, implicates the Ramapo hill people in SW NJ, which I didn't know was kind of a lawless backwater originally inhabited by Ramapo Indians and "halfbreeds," but has attracted a general-purpose lawless crowd.
Harrelson does a heel turn, which he is really pretty good at.  He exudes non-specific menace.
Reminds me a little of Winter's Bone because of the cultural elements, but not as good a film.

I watched it the other day too (watched it in the theater and maybe twice since). This is about the most accurate description I have seen of the movie. Although I don’t think it is as bad as most people think. I guess mostly because of the general mood of the film.

16 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I was kind of taken in by the Spanish Civil War angle as well as the links to "Spirit of the Beehive".  With those backdrops I kind of gave in to the fantasy aspects of the film (child's perspective) and just though he took a risk and it worked perfectly.

The "not out of 2nd gear" is an interesting take -- it certainly didn't have a big ending and that is part of why I liked it. I didn't see it at all as half baked - I think Del Toro baked it just as much as he wanted. 

Then a Del Toro cake is something on the menu to avoid for my tastes, is what I’ve come to find. Fool me once (Shape of Water) shame on you; fool me twice (this movie) it’s my own fault.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:47 PM, Buzzrock said:

I like Chris Stuckmann’s YouTube movie reviews and I’m working through his best of 2020. One of his honorable mentions is Hunter Hunter. If you like suspense/thrillers like Silence of the Lambs or Seven you’ll like it.

Watched it last night thanks to you guys. 

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Then a Del Toro cake is something on the menu to avoid for my tastes, is what I’ve come to find. Fool me once (Shape of Water) shame on you; fool me twice (this movie) it’s my own fault.

Well, if you're forced to watch another, maybe it should be the Devil's Backbone, which may be a bit more straightforward.  I don't remember it, other than I think I liked it, and the reviews make it look like it may not insist upon itself as much as Shape and Pan.

Final caveat.  I don't root for Mexico to beat the US in soccer, but I root for Mexican directors to win movie awards.  I'm pretty forgiving of movies by Mexicans.