The movie you just watched

F250

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Well, if you're forced to watch another, maybe it should be the Devil's Backbone, which may be a bit more straightforward.  I don't remember it, other than I think I liked it, and the reviews make it look like it may not insist upon itself as much as Shape and Pan.

Final caveat.  I don't root for Mexico to beat the US in soccer, but I root for Mexican directors to win movie awards.  I'm pretty forgiving of movies by Mexicans.

Interesting about your bias giving Mexican directors a longer leash; I give them a shorter leash in these genres because of the bar set by Latin American authors in fantasy; Hernandez, Borges, Garcia Marquez who invented Magical Realism and Roberto Boleno’s “tragic” realism. There is too good a foundation built to serve Pan’s Labrynth and expect it to satisfy unless you are 14 years old.

I’ll pass on Devils backbone; if I’m going to watch a Mexican directed movie next it will be The Revenant because I still haven’t seen not and Inarritu has earned it (I have seen Birman like 6 times; one of my faves.)

28 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Borges, Garcia Marquez who invented Magical Realism and Roberto Boleno’s “tragic” realism. There is too good a foundation built to serve Pan’s Labrynth and expect it to satisfy unless you are 14 years old.

I’ll pass on Devils backbone; if I’m going to watch a Mexican directed movie next it will be The Revenant because I still haven’t seen not and Inarritu has earned it (I have seen Birman like 6 times; one of my faves.)

Borges and Garcia Marquez would love Pan's Labyrinth.  And Garcia Marquez would be the first to say that Pan isn't magical realism.

As long as your ignoring recs, you should see Inarritu's Amores Perros as well.

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

The Revenant is one of the most overrated movies of all time.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty much agreed.  I remember the thread at TOS was just a bukkakefest and I came in and was like "wut."

tenor.gif?itemid=4868055

• Haha 1

Dang, you guys are harsh.  While movies like Amores Perros and Birdman do some really interesting things and hold you spellbound, I found it helpful to look at The Revenant as simply a movie about bears and Indians and horses dropping into trees and how Montana might have been harsh back then.  (At least that's what the first incredible scene kind of hinted at.)  It's no more serious than Last of the Mohicans, except you trade the love interest for Tom Hardy in what is really kind of a comic role.

Whether or not its "off the real story" doesn't really matter if you don't know what the "real story" is - advantage of not doing enough reading. 

And if you resent it just because it won best picture, I don't have a problem with someone saying Spotlight, Big Short, or Fury Road should have won, but it wasn't shocking. (I thought Fury Road had a bigger wow factor but Revenant was damn beautiful and impressive and pretty easy to appreciate if you aren't resentful of where it ranks.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

I could see why someone doesn’t like the revenant, maybe for the story and because it’s a little over-acted. But it’s worth seeing just for the spectacle and for the music.

Watched Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels yesterday. I hadn’t seen it in awhile and had forgotten some of the details. It’s not as tight as Snatch (huh huh) but it’s still damn entertaining. Also I want to have a Three Card Brag poker night.

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

And if you resent it just because it won best picture, I don't have a problem with someone saying Spotlight, Big Short, or Fury Road should have won, but it wasn't shocking. (I thought Fury Road had a bigger wow factor but Revenant was damn beautiful and impressive and pretty easy to appreciate if you aren't resentful of where it ranks.) 

Am I misunderstanding you here?  Spotlight won. 

Ok, inbound longcat posts. I made a resolution in early 2020 to watch more movies (at the expense of watching TV). I was really enjoying watching movies frequently, and then 2020 kicked into gear with the lockdown and I got laid off, loan behold I actually had a lead on movies versus days of the year that had elapsed. That became a dare to see if i could watch a movie per day of 2020. Which, I did. There are some movies that I had seen bits and pieces of before, but these are all movies I had never "seen" before that I watched in 2020.

Spoiler

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Spoiler

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I was talking about how The Dead Don't Die was a big disappointment for me in a year where i watched a lot of movies, and @Buzzrock was asking for a top 10. In no way a ranking of best movies, but ones that I thought about a lot or that I really enjoyed or at any rate pulled into a list when I was thinking about the movies were

image.thumb.png.b69fc61261f1505b8f105d82c58ec6b1.png

21 Jump Street seems like a particularly stupid inclusion but I was totally taken off guard by how funny of a dumb movie that was. same with Tucker & Dale vs Evil

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:
  Reveal hidden contents

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I was talking about how The Dead Don't Die was a big disappointment for me in a year where i watched a lot of movies, and @Buzzrock was asking for a top 10. In no way a ranking of best movies, but ones that I thought about a lot or that I really enjoyed or at any rate pulled into a list when I was thinking about the movies were

image.thumb.png.b69fc61261f1505b8f105d82c58ec6b1.png

21 Jump Street seems like a particularly stupid inclusion but I was totally taken off guard by how funny of a dumb movie that was. same with Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Nice list. I think my favorites from those are PBF, WWDitS, and JoJo. 

The WWDitS series on FX is hilarious. 

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Nice list. I think my favorites from those are PBF, WWDitS, and JoJo. 

The WWDitS series on FX is hilarious. 

that's the one TV show I watched in 2020.  We did a quick road trip scouting out some places we thought we'd want to relocate to and I ripped through it. I may like the show better than the movie, it's great.

I had the Florida Project #1, I think I thought about that movie more than any other. Just sad poverty cycle stuff. Anyone who liked Uncut Gems should watch Good Time. Same directors, same type of manic thriller.

• Like 1

After recently finishing Matthew McConaughey audio book Greenlights, I decided to go back and watch a couple of his movies that I haven't seen in a while.  (side note, True Detective Season 1 is my all time favorite movie or anything, with Interstellar almost tied).

Last night I watched Mud with my wife and 11yo son.  Lot's of good lessons in there.

After they went to bed I watched Killer Joe.  That movie is straight up fucked up.  I recommend watching it alone due to multiple unbelievably uncomfortable scenes.  Holy shit.

I don't care much for Redford but, the visuals were pretty amazing. Plus, I am always amazed when I see people ski. I can't ski to save my life and these folks are crazy. Gene Hackman is the coach, before he moved to Hickory, Indiana.

The fellow, Karl Michael Vogler, who played the French ski maker, Machet, was also in some cool movies:

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

Hail, Caesar! and, at the risk of sounding like some guy who doesn't like anything, this one was a rare (and big) miss by the Coen Brothers. Super thin and trivial, not very funny, not saying anything with the more parodic scenes or over the top characters, just a quirky movie that I'd have been just as fine off never having seen.

In the discussion two pages back folks were arguing about The Revenant and that has inspired me to finally watch Spotlight next.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, tantric superman said:

I didn't remember who won.  (I guess I assumed all the "overrated" talk was because Revenant must of won....)

DiCaprio finally won his Oscar. Iñarritu won director as well, I beleive. It did not win BP.

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Hail, Caesar! and, at the risk of sounding like some guy who doesn't like anything, this one was a rare (and big) miss by the Coen Brothers. Super thin and trivial, not very funny, not saying anything with the more parodic scenes or over the top characters, just a quirky movie that I'd have been just as fine off never having seen.

Would that it were so simple.

All I can do when you write a movie blurb is to respond with a mirthless chuckle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Would that it were so simple.

All I can do when you write a movie blurb is to respond with a mirthless chuckle.

I thought it was funny because Hail Caesar is known for being unliked and one of if not their weakest film(s). 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, Elvis said:

After recently finishing Matthew McConaughey audio book Greenlights, I decided to go back and watch a couple of his movies that I haven't seen in a while.  (side note, True Detective Season 1 is my all time favorite movie or anything, with Interstellar almost tied).

Last night I watched Mud with my wife and 11yo son.  Lot's of good lessons in there.

After they went to bed I watched Killer Joe.  That movie is straight up fucked up.  I recommend watching it alone due to multiple unbelievably uncomfortable scenes.  Holy shit.

Killer Joe rules.  You'll never look at "K Fry C" or whatever the hell they called it the same ever again! 

Watched The Falcon and the Snowman.  Definitely a relic of its time both in terms of subject matter and the overall aesthetic but worth watching. 

Edited by Continental Op

Just watched Monty Python's the "Holy Grail" and the "Life of Brian".  It was the first time for me to watch them in 30 years or so.  I laughed out loud.  Certainly not comedy for everyone but it works for me.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who get MP and the Holy Grail and duds.
  • Hook 'Em 1