The movie you just watched

F250

16 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I never liked him because of TWD.

Shia LaBeouf, for all his off the screen and personality negatives, is a fantastic actor; one of the best working right now. I'll die on that hill.

You make a lot of popular takes here that you think are unpopular takes. 

21 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I just watched this last night. I did not like it.

I'm sure plenty of people don't/wouldn't. I wouldn't call it particularly likeable even though I think it's a very well done film - it's pretty artistic and philosophical.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

You make a lot of popular takes here that you think are unpopular takes. 

That's actually pretty refreshing to hear. Until recently I didn't watch a ton of movies, maybe a few a year, and so I guess I had some imposter syndrome about movies and "not getting" why some I thought were weak were thought of collectively as strong. Thanks for the validation that I've got my cinema rifle scoped in around the bullseye!

• Haha 1

Born to Kill (1947) - IMDB Summary - A calculating divorcée risks her chances at wealth and security with a man she doesn't love by getting involved with the hotheaded murderer romancing her foster sister.

I am generally a sucker for stuff like this but I found it incredibly dry.  I feel like we underrate Elisha Cook, Jr.

Edited by Continental Op

3 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Born to Kill (1947) - IMDB Summary - A calculating divorcée risks her chances at wealth and security with a man she doesn't love by getting involved with the hotheaded murderer romancing her foster sister.

I am generally a sucker for stuff like this but I found it incredibly dry.  I feel like we underrate Elisha Cook, Jr.

One of my favorite Tierney movies. Correct on Elisha, multi-talented.

LockedDown. Do not waste your time.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Searchers. A masterpiece in every sense of the word. 

Watched The Searchers last night.  It is an all-time great.  The letter reading and fist-fight scenes crack me up.  For me, John Wayne plays a likeable unlikeable person.  Ward Bond delivers as a minister/captain in the Texas Rangers.

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Watched Battleship.

I only watched because it had Taylor Kitsch and Jesse Plemons in it.

I got to know them a little bit when i worked on FNL for a couple of seasons.

Great guys by the way.

The movie is not good but there are some good FX moments and it is kind of stupid fun.

It is gloriously stupid fun.

The fucking aliens shoot pegs, ffs.

26723972879_c5ea90b008_z.jpg?resize=625,

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 1/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, thrillhammer said:

watched some kind of heaven off ppv over the weekend.  well worth the $6.   blew my mind.  was one of the funniest movies i've seen in a while, and at the same time one of the saddest.  

I haven't watched it yet but I went to a Duke TIP camp with the director. It's both cool seeing him do well and also depressing to wonder what I'm doing with my life. He's very rich and very Jewish, though, so maybe I can temper expectations. 

On 1/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, tantric superman said:

Shoot the Piano Player (1960)

I don't like a lot of Truffaut.  So when I see something of his I haven't seen, I have a pretty low bar.   This had some interesting characters, and a kid named Fido, so I was rooting for it.  Nice little story. 

shootthepianoplayer04-2.jpg?w=1024

Love the scene in this film when the main character and his gf get forced in the car with the two villains. Scene at first is very intense and you have no idea what's gonna happen but it devolves into them being friendly and the three men just bitching about women. 

Throne of Blood (1957) (Kumonosu-jō). 

Allegedly the best rendition of Shakespeare's MacBeth ever done, instead of Scotland with knights, Samurai's in Japan. Watched it because cinephile's and purists rave about it-- hard to enjoy a movie like this unless you are the Wu-Tang Clan I guess.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 1/25/2021 at 9:48 PM, tantric superman said:

Paper Moon (1973)

Sweet little Bogdanovich flick - well done little diversion.  Burton Gilliam's teeth are in fine form.

6560.jpg

Smiley: (knocks at Trixie's door)

Trixie (coyly): "Who iiiiis it?"

Smiley: "Sheik of Araby."

Cracks me up.  Love me some Paper Moon.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

My Irish grandmother always said there was no such thing as a Protestant Irishman. I'd like to hope that watching this film she would have seen just how ridiculously stupid this fight was.

Just because you grandma was right about the Irish doesn't mean anyone needed to fight about it.

• Haha 1