The movie you just watched

F250

Recently rewatched Yesterday with my Lennonphile adult daughter.  Thoroughly enjoyed it again, especially watching her enjoy it.  At "the" moment, she was rendered mute and wide-eyed, then had some tears.  A good film can do that for you.  If you enjoyed the Beatles and the positive effect they had on music and humankind, this is a good way to spend a little screen time.  Good cast, good editing, excellent musical performances with admittedly superior material to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 2

you shut your face. 

It’s mostly Lindsey Crouse and her two patients. They’re fucking AWFUL. Mantegna and his team are all good. Wm. Macy drops in for a scene (I’m only half way through the movie) and sticks out as a good actor. Really, it’s Crouse and she’s so stilted it’s almost distracting. Almost. Mamet and his great story help cover it up though.

3 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

It’s mostly Lindsey Crouse and her two patients. They’re fucking AWFUL. Mantegna and his team are all good. Wm. Macy drops in for a scene (I’m only half way through the movie) and sticks out as a good actor. Really, it’s Crouse and she’s so stilted it’s almost distracting. Almost. Mamet and his great story help cover it up though.

mamet has never been strong with women characters. prob would’ve been a better movie with a better director and mamet’s script. 

crouse wasn’t great, and in later movies, rebecca pidgeon filled that role. also not great.

oh, you’re a bad pony and i’m not going to bet on you. 

mamet has never been strong with women characters. prob would’ve been a better movie with a better director and mamet’s script. 
crouse wasn’t great, and in later movies, rebecca pidgeon filled that role. also not great.
oh, you’re a bad pony and i’m not going to bet on you. 

Mamet and Sorkin are likely more fun to watch how their shut unfolds on the screen rather than having to enjoy their company at a dinner party.

They remind me of each other that way. Likely insufferable talented assholes.

Pidgeon and Crouse would never have gotten any work anywhere else.

44 minutes ago, huge said:

Mamet and Sorkin are likely more fun to watch how their shut unfolds on the screen rather than having to enjoy their company at a dinner party.

They remind me of each other that way. Likely insufferable talented assholes.

Pidgeon and Crouse would never have gotten any work anywhere else.

because you’re such a fucking delight. 

Watched a couple of oldies with my son because he had not seen them yet.

Highlander.  Dumb.  Cheesy.  Horrible sword fight choreography.  Why do I enjoy it in spite of it's flaws?  Kergen scenes rock.

Wargames.  How about a nice game of chess? Ferris Beuller practice run for Matthew Broderick.  I delighted in explaining some of the ancient technology featured in the movie like acoustic coupling modems and public pay phones.  Flaws in the movie are pronounced, but forgivable.  Still an enjoyable flick.

"Keep the Powder Dry" released in 1945 starring Lana Turner with Laraine Day and Susan Peters.  A debutante, a serviceman's bride and a girl from a military family joins the WAC's.  A typical War time feel good flick.  Turner and Day are lookers.

"Slightly Dangerous" released in 1943 starring Lana Turner with Robert Young and Walter Brennan. A former boss of a small town soda jerk finds her posing as a New York heiress and falls in love with her.  A nice rom-com from back in the day.  Did I already say that Turner is a looker?

"Crossfire" released in 1947 this mystery/crime movie stars three Roberts (Young, Mitchum and Ryan).  Wonder if something like that has happened again where the main stars all have the same first name? A GI (Mitchum) helps a pipe-smoking detective (Young) trap an anti-Semitic soldier (Ryan) for murder.

The Lost Girls - starring Amy Ryan (The Office, Gone Baby Gone), Gabriel Byrne.  Based on a true story - Girl goes missing, ends up uncovering the work of a serial killer(s).  The main arc is around the police and their handling of the cases and their interactions with the surviving family members.  Overall, I though it was a good movie.  Depressing material though.

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nomadland. I loved it. I have a feeling not many here will, but maybe I am prejudice.

It’s on Hulu.

I loved it.

Had friends in Houston who watched it and were like god damnit, we basically lived this last week. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

The Lost Girls - starring Amy Ryan (The Office, Gone Baby Gone), Gabriel Byrne.  Based on a true story - Girl goes missing, ends up uncovering the work of a serial killer(s).  The main arc is around the police and their handling of the cases and their interactions with the surviving family members.  Overall, I though it was a good movie.  Depressing material though.

I feel like Gabriel Byrne plays the same role in every film

On 2/20/2021 at 1:19 AM, tx 3 putt said:

i liked it, really good movie 

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

• Hook 'Em 1