The movie you just watched

F250

"The Public Enemy" released in 1931.  A classic gangster flick starring James Cagney with James Woods and a brief appearance by Jean Harlow.  Two hoodlums rise up from the poverty-stricken slum life to become petty thieves, bootleggers and cold-blooded killers.  An early gangster movie that helped cement Cagney in these types of roles.  Enjoyed it.

"Destination Tokyo" released in 1943.  A War era propaganda film typical of the time.  It stars Cary Grant supported by John Garfield and, for comic relief, Alan Hale. A submarine captain handles Tokyo Bay, depth charges, a lodged bomb and a crewman's rushed appendectomy.

First time to see both of these films.  Did not dissapoint.

• Like 1

I apologize if this has been posted.  I searched but didn't see anything.  The Butterfly Effect is one of my favorite movies.  It's been showing on my free Dish movie channels lately.  But the version they're showing isn't the version I like.  When it came out on DVD, it had the theater version on one side and the director's cut on the other side.  I prefer the director's cut.

Spoiler

In the director's cut, Ashton Kutcher strangles himself with his umbilical cord in his mother's womb when he's at his wits end of trying to fix everything.  When he visited his father in the mental hospital, his father told him he never should have been born.  All the other characters go on to lead productive lives the same as the theatrical version.  The DVD notes said this version didn't sit well with test audiences.  

Anybody who has seen both versions, which do you prefer?

Some of them did in the early 2000's.  Likely before they came out with dual layer DVDs and could fit everything on one side.  A single layer one sided DVD had 4.7gb of data and a DL had 8.5gb.  Those gb are according to wikipedia.  My memory is fuzzy on the size limits.  DL DVDs came out in late 2003 according to wikipedia.

Edited by retsevlys

10 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

"The Public Enemy" released in 1931.  A classic gangster flick starring James Cagney with James Woods and a brief appearance by Jean Harlow.  Two hoodlums rise up from the poverty-stricken slum life to become petty thieves, bootleggers and cold-blooded killers.  An early gangster movie that helped cement Cagney in these types of roles.  Enjoyed it.

"Destination Tokyo" released in 1943.  A War era propaganda film typical of the time.  It stars Cary Grant supported by John Garfield and, for comic relief, Alan Hale. A submarine captain handles Tokyo Bay, depth charges, a lodged bomb and a crewman's rushed appendectomy.

First time to see both of these films.  Did not dissapoint.

Quite the double feature. 

Just watched Lady Bird. Legitimately one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, and I’ve watched Godzilla: Tokyo SOS before. The main character is so poor and relatable that she goes to a fucking private high school and does nothing but try and fit in with the other douchey rich kids the whole time. But she’s super free spirited and independent mind you. The mom is just a miserable cunt of a character as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YChang said:

Interesting opinion... loved everything about Lady Bird. The story, cinematography, acting... lol 

I liked Lady Bird lots too although not everything.  Always want to strangle that punk Chalamet in everything he's in.  Will hate him even more after watching Dune because he is not Special Agent Dale Cooper.

• Haha 1

Sullivan's Travels (1941)
This is the first Preston Sturges picture I have been into.  It really goes off into a number of different tones - romantic comedy to terror to a really interesting negro church scene.  And good god Veronica Lake in a robe.

j9175114-1-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&aut

Ultimately, it felt like a really daring movie, although you had to give it some leeway due to being 80 years old.

The Secretary of the NAACP, Walter White, wrote to Sturges:

I want to congratulate and thank you for the church sequence in Sullivan's Travels. This is one of the most moving scenes I have seen in a moving picture for a long time. But I am particularly grateful to you, as are a number of my friends, both white and colored, for the dignified and decent treatment of Negroes in this scene. I was in Hollywood recently and am to return there soon for conferences with production heads, writers, directors, and actors and actresses in an effort to induce broader and more decent picturization of the Negro instead of limiting him to menial or comic roles. The sequence in Sullivan's Travels is a step in that direction and I want you to know how grateful we are.[4]

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, Beau Vine said:

Wow, this is about the biggest critic-audience divergence I can remember seeing.

image.png.6765092e5f3ed81c2341810147604643.png

I'd like to search for largest opposite margin (critically panned, audience favorites)

On 2/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, tbone_ said:

I thought 3 Burials was good.

One of my favorites, but mostly due to a local bias. I thought the subject matter and portrayal were genuine. I don't know why I would compare, but I like it better than No Country for Old Men.

I'd never seen That Thing You Do, meh.  5.5/10

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I'd never seen That Thing You Do, meh.  5.5/10

One of my all time favorites. You're probably too young to appreciate all the nostalgia packed into that film. You should watch the extended version. It's fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched and thoroughly enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood with my dear bride last night.  She had resisted watching or even reading about this film because previous QT work grossed her out.  I persuaded her to watch it but didn't give anything away.  She loved it, LOVED it.  I graduated from high school in 1969 and she in 1971.  Tarantino absolutely captured and cloned the vibe of 1969 - music, style, the bizarro world circus, men's and women's hair adventures, media before streaming, chain smoking.  The reimagined history "happy" ending.  If only, if only.  In any case, we enjoyed it very much.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

One of my all time favorites. You're probably too young to appreciate all the nostalgia packed into that film. You should watch the extended version. It's fantastic.

Note:  It's one of the very few films me and my wife both enjoyed.  I liked the extended version, but more from the standpoint of seeing how people edit movies.  Wife hated the extended version -- actually kind of pissed her off because she thought some  of the back story hurt the front story.  You probably know what I'm talking about , RPM. 

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Wife hated the extended version -- actually kind of pissed her off because she thought some  of the back story hurt the front story.  You probably know what I'm talking about , RPM. 

It's almost like a completely different story. (Mr White, I had no idea.) But you are right on the way people edit films.

RE: QT and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, SIAP but I really liked that movie, especially the ending scenes. I'm kind of QT bi-polar, I seem to either be put to sleep by them (Kill Bill) or weirdly fascinated (Reservoir Dogs).

Not sure if I posted but recently watched Django Unchained. Great premise but I literally fell asleep around Act 3, and fast forwarded through to see how it ended. So I have no soul then.

7 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

RE: QT and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, SIAP but I really liked that movie, especially the ending scenes. I'm kind of QT bi-polar, I seem to either be put to sleep by them (Kill Bill) or weirdly fascinated (Reservoir Dogs).

Not sure if I posted but recently watched Django Unchained. Great premise but I literally fell asleep around Act 3, and fast forwarded through to see how it ended. So I have no soul then.

Maybe you just have an issue with falling asleep during movies.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I'd like to search for largest opposite margin (critically panned, audience favorites)

On 2/27/2021 at 9:51 AM, Beau Vine said:

Wow, this is about the biggest critic-audience divergence I can remember seeing.

image.png.6765092e5f3ed81c2341810147604643.png

Here are some that I can find

The Souvenir- 89% vs 36%

The Last Jedi- 90% vs 42%

It Comes at Night- 88% vs 43%

Hail, Caesar!- 85% vs 44%

Spy Kids- 93% vs 46%

The Assistant- 92% vs 25%

I'm Your Woman- 81% vs 48%

Da Five Bloods- 92% vs 53%

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nomadland- typical well made Oscar-bait movie that didn't entertain me but appreciated how well it was made. 7/10

Tumbbad- really bizarre Indian fantasy horror movie that was pretty good if you can get past some of the b-movie fx. 6.5/10