The movie you just watched

F250

"Little Caesar" released in 1930 starring Edward G. Robinson along with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Stanley Fields.  An early gangster movie.  The "dicks" in this movie crack me up as they play tough with the gangsters.  First time to watch this one.  Enjoyed it.

"The Maltese Falcon" released in 1941 starring Humphrey Bogart with Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet.  An all-time classic. A repeat watch for me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

"The Maltese Falcon" released in 1941 starring Humphrey Bogart with Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet.  An all-time classic. A repeat watch for me.

And evidently a source of inspiration for John Kricfalusi, creator of "Ren and Stimpy." In one of the classic cartoons, an irate Ren, upon learning that Stimpy had given away $37 million, did a dead-on Peter Lorre chastising Sidney Greensteet for the falcon switcheroo, saying, "Yew-w-w-w FAT, BLOATED EEEEDIOT!"

• Hook 'Em 1

"Out of the Fog" released in 1941 starring John Garfield and Ida Lupino with Thomas Mitchell, John Qualen and Eddie Albert. A tailor (Mitchell) and a cook (Qualen) plot to kill a Brooklyn racketeer (Garfield) demanding protection money for their boat.  Naturally the female lead (Lupino), who is the daughter of the tailor, falls for the racketeer but ultimately sees the light and goes back to Albert, the steady boyfriend.  Nice, quick movie running just under 1:30 hours.  A crime movie with a bit of humor.  Enjoyed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:24 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Anna

Luc Besson's latest film.  It was awesome.  Highly recommend if you like hot women and action. 

Had to wait awhile because Cinemax had an exclusive.  It's now available for rent on prime. 

Anna was decent, although I think a few other femme fatale/female lead action films were better over the past decade; Atomic Blonde, Hannah, Haywire, and maybe Salt and Red Sparrow. I will say that the one that sucked was Ava; can’t believe such a good cast and genre was wasted in that garbage film 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, satyanash said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's legitimately incredible - a spy movie that doesn't rely on cheap action, fist/gunfights, car chases, etc. but rather on excellent dialogue, acting, and a great story.

Any recommendations for similar movies?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+spy+gone+north&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS785US785&oq=the+spy+gone+north&aqs=chrome..69i57j46j0l8.4885j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Anna was decent, although I think a few other femme fatale/female lead action films were better over the past decade; Atomic Blonde, Hannah, Haywire, and maybe Salt and Red Sparrow. I will say that the one that sucked was Ava; can’t believe such a good cast and genre was wasted in that garbage film 

I have only seen atomic blonde and red sparrow

I liked Anna better than those two, but I'm a Besson fan.  The 5th Element is like my favorite movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I have only seen atomic blonde and red sparrow

I liked Anna better than those two, but I'm a Besson fan.  The 5th Element is like my favorite movie. 

Atomic Blonde was a fucking cracker for me. 10/10

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m tired of watching “kids” movies with our 11 and 8 year old kids so we’re trying out more popular movies with them without much questionable content (like a lot of sex, drugs, etc) that are fast paced and easy to understand. We enjoyed The Mummy during snowmagedden. We watch the movie Flight of the Phoenix with Dennis Quaid last night and the kids really liked it. Any other ideas for movies that fit this description?

4 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m tired of watching “kids” movies with our 11 and 8 year old kids so we’re trying out more popular movies with them without much questionable content (like a lot of sex, drugs, etc) that are fast paced and easy to understand. We enjoyed The Mummy during snowmagedden. We watch the movie Flight of the Phoenix with Dennis Quaid last night and the kids really liked it. Any other ideas for movies that fit this description?

When I was about their age I loved “The Man From Snowy River”.  

• Like 1

A Serbian Film. It’s a heartwarming story about a father who gets a better job to provide for his family. After a series of misadventures, the family is together in the end.
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:03 PM, C-Man said:

Just finished Nomadland. Pretty sure my wife hated it. I thought it was fantastic.

I watched it on Saturday night with my wife and daughter (no pics).  It was a great movie, but certainly not enjoyable.  My wife didn't like it because it was depressing, but admitted that the story was told well and McDormand did an incredible job.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I watched it on Saturday night with my wife and daughter (no pics).  It was a great movie, but certainly not enjoyable.  My wife didn't like it because it was depressing, but admitted that the story was told well and McDormand did an incredible job.

That was her complaint. She thought it was a downer of a movie. (I love my wife to death but she doesn't get very deep when it comes to movies. Give her a dumb rom-com every day of the week but she's looking for entertainment, not art/literature.) She didn't like the way it ended. I told her Fern was simply starting the process over again and would likely see everybody in the next year of moving around the country. The cinematography was beautiful too. It's not a movie you'll probably watch again -- if ever -- but it was good iMO.

That was her complaint. She thought it was a downer of a movie. (I love my wife to death but she doesn't get very deep when it comes to movies. Give her a dumb rom-com every day of the week but she's looking for entertainment, not art/literature.) She didn't like the way it ended. I told her Fern was simply starting the process over again and would likely see everybody in the next year of moving around the country. The cinematography was beautiful too. It's not a movie you'll probably watch again -- if ever -- but it was good iMO.

Wait, you are married to my wife? Kinky.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:37 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m tired of watching “kids” movies with our 11 and 8 year old kids so we’re trying out more popular movies with them without much questionable content (like a lot of sex, drugs, etc) that are fast paced and easy to understand.

Smokey and the Bandit.

• Like 1