The movie you just watched

F250

I have a ton of movies on my to-watch list that I'm determined to get through this year. Here are some recent ones that I had never seen before.

Whiplash - JK Simmons was incredible in this role, brought back memories of my time in Symphonic Band where I was basically a warm body

Lion - amazing movie, about a 5 year-old in India who gets separated from his family, adopted by a couple from Australia, then goes back to find his family after 25 years

2001- watched this last night and still don't know what to think. Totally didn't get the symbolism at the end with the star child and the astronaut seeing himself as a much older person. Music was really good and pulling off a movie about space in 1968 must have been crazy.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

On 3/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, Parliament said:

Patriot's Day.  Peter Berg is 90% good and 10% bad as a director, and it's all on display here.  Mark Wahlberg is 90% good (don't hate) and 10% bad as a actor, and it's all on display here.  I liked the movie.

As a poster, Parliament is 90% Maybe, 10% Maybe not, and 100% Fuck Yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, After irth said:

I would watch Chloe Grace Moretz sit on a stool and fart for two hours.  

I was watching it with my daughter who commented that they hired some unknown actor for the movie.

I said "That's Chloe Moretz, she has been in a lot of movies." Started naming movies.

My daughter, "you sure know a lot about her. Are you a fan?"

Me: "uhh, khakis."

• Haha 2

On 2/17/2020 at 7:57 AM, CooterBrown said:

My kid made me take her to see Sonic the Hedgehog.  Really not that terrible.  Probably one of the better video game movies.

I watched it the other night, one of those streaming services homepage recommendations you get inundated with, so I said, “Who gives a fuck?” and went for it. I believe it was on Hulu. And I’m not sure how many times in my life I’ve been as surprised by a movie (granted, expectations were low).

I really enjoyed it, appropriate blend of humor, heart, SFX, and even though I played the game many years ago, you didn’t have to know any backstory to get engaged (good thing, because I don’t remember anything about the game other than running fast and collecting coins). 

Carrey chewed the scenery with gusto, Marsden was fine as Sonic’s reluctant partner in crime, and Ben Schwartz voiced the hedgehog with humor and pathos. 

If you have kids and want to watch something with them, this is one you can watch without wanting to shoot yourself in the head. If you’re human, I’ll bet you may even enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I would love for you to explain the 90% good in battleship.

There are exceptions.

Tenet.

Watched on my phone on a Southwest flight. I have a screaming headache.

Nolan peaked at The Prestige.

Edited by Parliament

Finally watched The Proposition, Aussie Western. Very old school movie, I liked it.

I guess this is a new release to Prime, not sure how it ended up on my list, but I tried to watch Love Witch, wtf. Did not get that one.

Also rewatched Coming to America, not sure if I ever really sat through the whole thing, and it was a lot better than I remembered.

Then I watched Life, Eddie Murphy & Martin Lawrence, which somehow I'd never heard of, and it wasn't bad but not that good.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GringoSalado said:

Finally watched The Proposition, Aussie Western. Very old school movie, I liked it.

I guess this is a new release to Prime, not sure how it ended up on my list, but I tried to watch Love Witch, wtf. Did not get that one.

Also rewatched Coming to America, not sure if I ever really sat through the whole thing, and it was a lot better than I remembered.

Then I watched Life, Eddie Murphy & Martin Lawrence, which somehow I'd never heard of, and it wasn't bad but not that good.

Fuck you.

• Haha 1

This is really good:
artworks-spWDdN30UgBAKt0M-KaQSvg-t500x500.jpg
Riz Ahmed is amazing in it.

We watched this earlier as we make our way through all of the oscar nominees. Really well done movie. Good story, great acting, well produced and cut/paced perfectly. No schlock or cheap plot devices. Everything made sense and aligned with the characters. Just a cool film.

Green Book

Rewatched this with my wife and daughter (two different people, Biff T), and thoroughly enjoyed it and sharing the experience with them.  The growth of symbiosis between Doc and Lip, individuals with so little in common, was mighty fine.  Attention to period detail was very well done.  The comeuppance of the surly racist stage hand in Indiana was a very good scene.  Feelgood film based on true events - we need some more of these.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Green Book

Rewatched this with my wife and daughter (two different people, Biff T), and thoroughly enjoyed it and sharing the experience with them.  The growth of symbiosis between Doc and Lip, individuals with so little in common, was mighty fine.  Attention to period detail was very well done.  The comeuppance of the surly racist stage hand in Indiana was a very good scene.  Feelgood film based on true events - we need some more of these.

I haven't seen it yet. But, I had no idea, until recently, that Lip is based on the guy that played Carmine Lupertazzi in the Sopranos. 

Edited by lateshow
  • Like 1

Watched 'Minari'. Good work. Does a great job portraying the immigrant experience....although the local Americans were a little over the top.....but turn about is fair play, I suppose, with stereotypes. Appreciate how it showed the crap work immigrants have to do. Like someone told me a long time ago.....'It doesn't matter what you did before you came here. When you come to America, you go to the back of the line and start all over'.

The trailer to Nomadland looks fantastic. Hitting it next.  

• Fuck You 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, iodeac said:

Whiplash - JK Simmons was incredible in this role, brought back memories of my time in Symphonic Band where I was basically a warm body

I probably still watch this movie about once a year. JK Simmons was next level. As much other stuff as he has done, I still have a hard time seeing him as someone other than Vern Schillinger from Oz. 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, GringoSalado said:

The Proposition is probably the best western since The Unforgiven.  Danny Huston is unbelievable.  

Fun Fact: It was nominated for nothing.  Crash won best picture at the 78th Academy Awards. 

It makes me think a lot about how much transformative film making goes unnoticed. 

• Like 2

The Last Blockbuster: Documentary.

Probably a bunch of nerds on here would like it, but definitely a stupid movie. I thought it would lean in more on the business and financial mechanics and timelines of Blockbusters demise, but it was a bunch of D list celebrities and video store nerds reminiscing about going to Blockbuster as a teen. The creators of this stupid show should have taken a hint and passed on the premise when Quentin Tarantino wouldn't return their call for a 30 second comment about working in a video store.

• Hook 'Em 1