The movie you just watched

F250

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

He was a fucking idiot.  He had zero business being out there.  I live about 40ish miles from where the magic bus used to be.  The state removed it recently, but it won't stop other fucking idiots trying to get out to where it used to be...more Darwin Awards will be handed out.  Ma Nature gives zero fucks.

About how far is it from the road to the bus? 

Yeah I don’t know why being an ill prepared hiker would make anyone internationally famous. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

About how far is it from the road to the bus? 

Yeah I don’t know why being an ill prepared hiker would make anyone internationally famous. 

It's about 19 miles from the bus to the trailhead at Eightmile Lake.  The Parks Highway is, as you can guess, eight miles further.  You can drive to Eightmile with a 4WD pickup or SUV.  It's a popular party spot.  The road goes to complete shit after Eightmile.  It's a tough slog in the summertime.  Most locals only use the trail in the Winter for dog sledding or snow machining.  There are a few traplines out that way, which once again are winter time activities.  The biggest obstacles are the two rivers you have to cross to get out there, the Savage and the Teklanika.  In the winter, the rivers are frozen and you can cross them.  In the summer, they are vicious and dumbasses drown trying to get out to where the other dumbass starved.  It's fucking beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I've always been particularly surprised by folks who didn't appreciate boyhood.  I'm putting it on age.  Linklater is one year older than me, and I thought boyhood was just amazing in that I related to every character at every age in a way that I was their age at the instant i was viewing the movie.  I thought it was a mean feat and deserving of Best Picture. Maybe you have to be at least as old at Patricia and Ethan to really get it. 

I thought Whiplash was fun.  I saw that it was on Prime or HBO recently, and I fast forwarded to the first time conductor was mean to him, and then the final concert, because the rest was just kind of tedious and surly the second time around. 

I liked Boyhood but it hit a little too close to home for me. I couldn't really remove myself and evaluate it objectively.

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I couldn't stand Boyhood. Lost on a dolt like me, I guess. I thought it was boring and lame.

There are a lot of movies, many of which are Oscar noms, that I appreciate for being important and well made, but that just don't interest or entertain me, and I've learned to mostly pass on those movies, although I'll catch one every once in awhile and be reminded that watching those movies typically feels like homework. And then I try to stick to action, mystery, crime, fucked up, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and sometimes dark comedy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

He was a fucking idiot.  He had zero business being out there.  I live about 40ish miles from where the magic bus used to be.  The state removed it recently, but it won't stop other fucking idiots trying to get out to where it used to be...more Darwin Awards will be handed out.  Ma Nature gives zero fucks.

Not only was he a fool, he was a selfish ass who didn't think about anyone but himself, which is very clear in the book.  And now there's a whole generation of other selfish idiots who idolize him and go risk their own lives and impose grief on their families. 

9 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

It's about 19 miles from the bus to the trailhead at Eightmile Lake.  The Parks Highway is, as you can guess, eight miles further.  You can drive to Eightmile with a 4WD pickup or SUV.  It's a popular party spot.  The road goes to complete shit after Eightmile.  It's a tough slog in the summertime.  Most locals only use the trail in the Winter for dog sledding or snow machining.  There are a few traplines out that way, which once again are winter time activities.  The biggest obstacles are the two rivers you have to cross to get out there, the Savage and the Teklanika.  In the winter, the rivers are frozen and you can cross them.  In the summer, they are vicious and dumbasses drown trying to get out to where the other dumbass starved.  It's fucking beyond me.

username checks out.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

There are a lot of movies, many of which are Oscar noms, that I appreciate for being important and well made, but that just don't interest or entertain me, and I've learned to mostly pass on those movies, although I'll catch one every once in awhile and be reminded that watching those movies typically feels like homework. And then I try to stick to action, mystery, crime, fucked up, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and sometimes dark comedy. 

I like the way this is stated. The question is that at what point does "appreciation" stop being "interesting".   

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Not only was he a fool, he was a selfish ass who didn't think about anyone but himself, which is very clear in the book.  And now there's a whole generation of other selfish idiots who idolize him and go risk their own lives and impose grief on their families. 

Darwin wins

Our Friend, Casey Affleck, Jason Segel, Dakota Johnson. Based on a true story, an article by Matt Teague in Esquire magazine, about terminal illness and friendship.

Not exactly sure why I clicked on this one, I'm not a particular fan of the cast or the general premise (death). I guess I was drawn to the "selfless but troubled friend" angle (Segel). I thought it was maybe a bit long but well done otherwise. Good movie.

"Conan O'Brian Can't Stop", streaming on Amazon Prime.

Gives you a look inside his tour after whatever happened to him with NBC happened.  If you don't like Conan this may not be for you, but it shows you what happens to a guy that goes on the road night after night.  He's totally energetic onstage and wiped out offstage.  Everybody wants just five minutes with him, or a photo, or something signed.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

"Conan O'Brian Can't Stop", streaming on Amazon Prime.

Gives you a look inside his tour after whatever happened to him with NBC happened.  If you don't like Conan this may not be for you, but it shows you what happens to a guy that goes on the road night after night.  He's totally energetic onstage and wiped out offstage.  Everybody wants just five minutes with him, or a photo, or something signed.

If you're not a Conan fan, you might be after watching this. Excellent doc and one hard working dude.

On 3/30/2021 at 11:56 PM, tantric superman said:

I thought Whiplash was fun.  I saw that it was on Prime or HBO recently, and I fast forwarded to the first time conductor was mean to him, and then the final concert, because the rest was just kind of tedious and surly the second time around. 

Would you say that it’s....not quite your tempo?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2021 at 1:42 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Dredd.

Carl Urban, Lena Headey

Over the top ultra violent. Great effects.

Probably one of the only movies during the 3D craze that used it right, and I’m not sure anyone saw it in the theater. It’s a shame, because it’s a damn good hard R popcorn movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Oh, it's a play, isn't it?

I guess it would have been cool to see this as a play, if you didn't know what to expect.

I thought the film of the play insisted upon itself. 

(Wife referred to the movie as "Ma Rainey".  Would not say the full title even with prodding.  "It's a pretty depressing movie about a sweaty lady.")

Grizzly II: Revenge

Such a horrible, weird fucking movie. Looks like it was done in 1983 but not released so they went back and intertwined 2020 shit into an 83 film and released it....probably under the main selling point it has Charlie Sheen, George Clooney, and Laura Dern in it*

Movie is like 8% on RT lol. That may be too high.

Its like 70 mins long and 20 mins of it is some weird fake concert footage.

Spoiler for *

they all literally die within 3 mins of movie starting lmao

98e4bf191a1ed5bc40964a30b25c80e2.jpg

I've heard a few people mention "Shithouse" and I caught it on Showtime the other day.  I really enjoyed it.  It's nothing new, a story of a college freshman figuring it out, but it is smart and surprising and feels authentic.  Definitely a cut above similar type movies.

I read about it later and the main actor, who also wrote and directed it is from Dallas.   He's in his mid-20's, which is really impressive.  Jay Duplass saw a short he made and shepherded the movie through the process.  It also won the SXSW Grand Jury Prize for Narrative Feature, so it has some legitimacy.  

I wish it had a better name.  I think that really hurts it getting a wider audience and has very little to do with the actual movie.

Extra Ordinary.

Made in Ireland.  Accents weren't too bad.  I could follow the dialogue without subtitles.  Stars Will Forte and a bunch of Irish actors.

It at times charming, quaint, gross, rude, bizarre and hilarious.  I give it a solid 3 stars.  Don't expect cinematic brilliance.  The plot is also fairly predictable.  Doesn't matter though because it's a fun ride.  Also, perhaps one of the best endings to a movie I've seen in a very long time.  I was entertained.  The less you know about the plot the more you will enjoy it.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, Scraps said:

Grizzly II: Revenge

Such a horrible, weird fucking movie. Looks like it was done in 1983 but not released so they went back and intertwined 2020 shit into an 83 film and released it....probably under the main selling point it has Charlie Sheen, George Clooney, and Laura Dern in it*

Movie is like 8% on RT lol. That may be too high.

Its like 70 mins long and 20 mins of it is some weird fake concert footage.

Spoiler for *

Reveal hidden contents

they all literally die within 3 mins of movie starting lmao

98e4bf191a1ed5bc40964a30b25c80e2.jpg

having to suffer charlie sheen and laura dern for 70 minutes is a big No Thank You

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

having to suffer charlie sheen and laura dern for 70 minutes is a big No Thank You

I hear you 52-80, but try Laura, Robert Duvall and Diane Ladd in Rambling Rose, a brilliant surprise of a small film.  Duvall has several epic lines and delivers them as only he can.  Laura was made for her role.  Diane is a zany, bohemian metaphysician.  I'd watch this one every day if I could get away with it.

"That girl strikes like a cobra!"

Men at Work - Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez bro flick. Haven't watched this in 20 years or so but it holds up for a lightweight, scatterbrain comedy. Go in with low expectations and you will be entertained.

• Hook 'Em 1