The movie you just watched

F250

Someone posted a thread on OBs asking or the best ten movies of the past five years. I figured I'd post my response here as well to either drive discussion or to give others some new movie ideas 

My top fifteen, and then some other movies that I love (from 2016 and on)

1) Hereditary
2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3) The Handmaiden
4) Portrait of a Lady on Fire
5) Get Out
6) Palm Springs
7) Burning
'8) You Were Never Really There
9) Fury Road
10) JoJo Rabbit
11) The Phantom Thread
12) Peanut Butter Falcon
13) Host
14) Parasite
15) The Irishman

Also considered; Under the Shadow, The Empty Man, Tigers are not Afraid

Others (some of these won't be for everyone, so do your due diligence first):

Neon Demon
A Dark Song
Bladerunner 2046
Under the Silver Lake
Climax
The Nightingale
The Standoff at Sparrow Creek
The Vast of Night
Booksmart
Bacurau
Ad Astra
Good Time
The King
The Platform
Dr Sleep
Possessor
The Love Witch
I'm Thinking of Ending Things
Enola Holmes

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

Someone posted a thread on OBs asking or the best ten movies of the past five years. I figured I'd post my response here as well to either drive discussion or to give others some new movie ideas 

1) Hereditary
3) The Handmaiden
5) Get Out
6) Palm Springs
7) Burning
9) Fury Road
10) JoJo Rabbit
11) The Phantom Thread
12) Peanut Butter Falcon
13) Host
14) Parasite
15) The Irishman

Neon Demon
A Dark Song
Bladerunner 2046
Under the Silver Lake
Climax
The Nightingale
The Vast of Night
Booksmart
Bacurau
Ad Astra
Good Time
The King
The Platform
Dr Sleep
Possessor
The Love Witch
Enola Holmes

You want to know how I know you're under 30? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

1) Hereditary
3) The Handmaiden
5) Get Out
6) Palm Springs
7) Burning
9) Fury Road
10) JoJo Rabbit
11) The Phantom Thread
12) Peanut Butter Falcon
13) Host
14) Parasite
15) The Irishman

Neon Demon
A Dark Song
Bladerunner 2046
Under the Silver Lake
Climax
The Nightingale
The Vast of Night
Booksmart
Bacurau
Ad Astra
Good Time
The King
The Platform
Dr Sleep
Possessor
The Love Witch
Enola Holmes

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You want to know how I know you're under 30? 

This. Greyhound is not even mentioned.

• Haha 1

Gertrud (1964)

This was far and away the most exciting scene in the flick.  Because the broad in the painting is in her birthday suit.

images-w1400.jpg?1415811127

I thought Ordet was fantastic and Day of Wrath as well.  But this guy (Carl Theo Dreyer)does move slowly, and the mannerisms can drive you mad.  One learns that the white scandanavian man can take himself a bit too seriously. 

"Dreyer has gone from serenity to senility...Not a film, but a two-hour study of sofas and pianos." - Cinema65

20 hours ago, Fud said:

1) Hereditary
3) The Handmaiden
5) Get Out
6) Palm Springs
7) Burning
9) Fury Road
10) JoJo Rabbit
11) The Phantom Thread
12) Peanut Butter Falcon
13) Host
14) Parasite
15) The Irishman

Neon Demon
A Dark Song
Bladerunner 2046
Under the Silver Lake
Climax
The Nightingale
The Vast of Night
Booksmart
Bacurau
Ad Astra
Good Time
The King
The Platform
Dr Sleep
Possessor
The Love Witch
Enola Holmes

Damn. Can you find a worse 5 year run for movies in the last....ever?

• Haha 1

Watched Lost Highway for the first time since high school, and was surprised that I actually was able to follow along (or at least I think I did; Lynch doesn't explain his movies so we're all doing our own interpretations); Lynch's trilogy of subconscious psychological mindfuck LA movies aren't going to be understood on the first watch. Some of it seems dated in a way that his other movies aren't, and it doesn't mesh as well as Mulholland Drive (I need to rewatch Inland Empire, I've only seen it once and don't remember it well), but I still like it a lot for what it is. However, like most things from Lynch, Kaufman, Noe, Von Trier, etc, you need to know that you're getting into a bizarre movie, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what the deal is. 7.5/10

On a side note, no one can build an unnerving horror scene like Lynch; I wish he'd do a straight forward (relative to his mind-fuck movies) horror before he retires 

Bag of Marbles (2017)

190854_1330118.jpg.1500x843_q95_crop-sma

I enjoyed it, it was a beautiful movie, and that was part of the problem, the settings and the relatively "clean" violence ended up inducing a bit of guilt, in that it was too enjoyable.  That shouldn't make any sense, and has more to do with other Holocaust films, but ultimately, it felt like a jaunt in the French countryside, and you just aren't pulled into the horror...

Based on the discussion recently about the shortness of Outsiders cast members (probably on the recruiting board, I can’t remember), I watched The Outsiders on Tubi. Amazing cast, if you were a teen girl in the 80s. Hadn’t seen it since probably early 90s. Pretty good stuff. 
Diane Lane was smoke 

Edited by Lhorn

On 4/21/2021 at 12:38 PM, mininghorn88 said:

The Old Man and the Sea with Spencer Tracy.  First time to watch and I have never read the book either. Clueless going into the movie.  Am I supposed to enjoy the film?

I enjoy Hemingway, but never really got that story. Maybe should be in Things I’m Embarrassed to Admit. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I enjoy Hemingway, but never really got that story. Maybe should be in Things I’m Embarrassed to Admit. 

The Old Man and the Sea is the story that hooked me on Hemingway. His description of the cup of coffee the old man had before he went fishing is impossible to describe. Genius is as close as I can come. The struggle to get home and the shark. I didn't understand it when I first read it, but it consumed me.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This was pretty gotdam entertaining:

ExtraOrdinary.jpeg?format=1500w

Yeah, I reviewed that one a few days ago.

I just finished watching Guns Akimbo.  If you enjoy fast paced rides with over the top violence, some bad language and insane antagonists, this movie is right up your alley.  Has a really on point soundtrack as well.  There was a moment where I reflected on the meta joke about the movie making fun of people enjoying violence for entertainment as I was laughing out loud at the violence on screen.  Well done.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople- what is Taika Waititi really good at? The answer is, making movies I adore. He’s now 4/4 for me. That includes What We Do in the Shadows, Thor Ragnorak, Jojo Rabbit, and the one I just watched, Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Streaming on Hulu. 7.5/10

On a site note, I feel like I’ve seen a lot of good Australian and New Zealand movies recently 

On 4/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, mininghorn88 said:

The Old Man and the Sea with Spencer Tracy.  First time to watch and I have never read the book either. Clueless going into the movie.  Am I supposed to enjoy the film?

Eet starts there the old man, and his job is to catch the feesh, so he get in the boht, to try and catch feesh.

Saw he catch the feesh, but the feesh is very strong, so the old man, cannot reel in the feesh.

So then he fight the feesh. Some more. And he finally catch the feesh.

He catches the feesh so, then he can make money?

No, because on the way home, the sharks come and eat the feesh. And so, he no make money.

9 hours ago, Fud said:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople- what is Taika Waititi really good at? The answer is, making movies I adore. He’s now 4/4 for me. That includes What We Do in the Shadows, Thor Ragnorak, Jojo Rabbit, and the one I just watched, Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Streaming on Hulu. 7.5/10

Boy needs to be next on your list.  

Eagle vs Shark was too cringey for me to enjoy.

I’ve been trying to rip through a few of the Oscars movies I haven’t seen. 

Pieces of a Woman - Opening 30 minutes or so were fucking intense. The remainder of the movie was pretty much a complete mess, particularly the comical court room scene in the end. Just awful writing.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - I found myself liking this much more than I expected. Boseman and Viola Davis were both very good, and I enjoyed how they kept the staging like the play.

One Night in Miami - snooze fest, but it did remind me that I need to watch When We Were Kings for the 100th time soon.

My Octopus Teacher - smoke a J and fire this one up. 

The Cranes Are Flying (1957)

the-cranes-are-flying-poster.jpg?w=438&h

This was a really nice surprise.  Allegedly the first "post Stalin", Russian New Wave movie, I thought it was really terrific.  Just a simple little war story but with some really cool camerawork and terrific acting.  

This Tatiana Samoilova was throwing down a vibe, too.

3a1bc053-4947-4701-8603-2826d17edb51.__C

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:49 PM, Lhorn said:

It really was, top to bottom.  Like I said I hadn’t seen the movie in decades. I had forgotten Tom Cruise and Rob Lowe were in the movie.   

Also ...

Flea

Tom Waits

Leif Garrett

S.E. Hinton

Cam Neely (President of the Boston Bruins, also played Sea Bass)

Sofia Coppola

1 hour ago, drifter379 said:

I really enjoyed Fury. GI combat was one of my favorite comics growing up and my favorite issues featured the Haunted Tank. Fury reminded me of those old comics.

The combat tactics depicted are entirely wrong; beyond laughable.  But it has good characters and acting.  I watch it every time it's on TV.

Edited by Parliament

On 4/23/2021 at 11:31 PM, Fud said:

On a site note, I feel like I’ve seen a lot of good Australian and New Zealand movies recently 

Seconded. Sam Neill continues to be the man. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Vision Quest

Just watched again for the millionth time.

Do Frats in 2021 get a lot of mileage out of calling Beta Theta Pi's "Beta Males"? I'm just asking because your username and I am so far removed by time from the 40 acres that was my first thought and then secondly remembered the fraternity existed.

Inside (the 2007 French movie, not the American remake)- holy fuck. Gnarliest thriller I’ve seen since... audition? Not for the faint of heart. Less than an hour and a half runtime. Slight ding for bad f/x. 8.5/10

I finally saw Nomadland.  The cinematography was beautiful but other than that it didn't do much for me other than get across a lot of melancholy and wistfulness.  I don't know, I just think a best a picture/best director winner should try to do more.