The movie you just watched

F250

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Spielberg made this observant when making Saving Private Ryan. Most soldiers were under 21 but looked 35. Today, we have 25 years olds easily pulling off roles of teens. As a result, he hired mostly Australians as extras since he thought that was the one place where youngsters looked much older than their American peers. Probably due to all the sun damage since birth.

Sun exposure, poor nutrition and eating habits, childhood poverty, and heavy tobacco use.  

Seriously: most of the greatest generation grew up in grinding poverty or low income environments that most of us can’t imagine.  My grandfather was a tenant farmer, which was essentially a white share cropper. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Sun exposure, poor nutrition and eating habits, childhood poverty, and heavy tobacco use.  

Seriously: most of the greatest generation grew up in grinding poverty or low income environments that most of us can’t imagine.  My grandfather was a tenant farmer, which was essentially a white share cropper. 

For whatever reason I had never applied that logic.  Makes sense.  My grandparents did not have hot water in their meager home until 1986.  They grew up without it and never bothered to have it installed.  They were born in 1915 and 1917 respectively.  I remember going to their house to spend the night and my grandmother boiling water on the stove so that I could take a hot bath.  Their house was pier and beam and was poorly insulated.  It would get cold in the bathroom too.  They were some tough folks.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What a cast of actors.

My great aunt's father was Dutch Cota (Robert Mitchum) in the movie.  She was a generous and classy lady.  Her husband (my great uncle by blood) was an ass, but that shit is hereditary.  This movie is not too long for me and is fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2

Union Pacific released in 1939 starring Barbara Stanwyck with Joel McCrea, Brian Donlev and Robert Preston. A railroad agent (McCrea) faces treachery from an old friend (Preston) as he struggles to ensure the completion of the Union Pacific.  Both McCrea and Preston have set their sights on Stanwyck, the Postmistress for the railroad.

It was directed by Cecile B. DeMille so naturally you can expect a big production.  Union Pacific loaned four 1860's period locomotives to the production along with 37 railcars.  The production also laid 6 miles of railroad track which meant they owned their own railroad.  As such, the production company was granted a Regulation Railroad Operating License from the Interstate Commerce Commission.

I enjoyed the movie.  It does seem to get lost when you mention all of the other great movies released, in arguably the greatest movie year ever, 1939.  This movie has it all fake Irish accents, good guys, bad, guys, Indians, and comic relief sidekicks.

Stand By for Action released in 1942 starring Robert Taylor with Charles Laughton, Brian Donlevy and Walter Brennan.  An Ivy League reservist (Taylor) and a bootstrap veteran (Donlevy) save the convoy of an admiral (Laughton) during World War Two.

Though not a comedy this is a light-hearted war film.  It has its light moments rescuing a boatload of women and children.  Plus Laughton pays an affable admiral while trying to be stern and serious has some quite funny lines to say.  A typical hero-in-the-end movie.  It is worth the watch just for Laughton's performance.

Edited by mininghorn88

Sundance. Again. Always great. The scene right before they jump into the water has two all-timers for me.

"Would you make a jump like that you didn't have to?"

"I have to and I'm not gonna"

Followed almost immediately by:

""I can't swim."

"What are you, crazy? The fall'll probably kill ya!"

And right before THOSE two is the:

"Well they could surrender but I wouldn't count on it."

Also some of these (older Westerns) are starting to get weird to think about: this film was made 52 years ago. The events were set about 70 years before it was made. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A Rainy Day in New York (2019)

A terrible, but beautiful, movie.  I guess Allen mails this stuff out because people pay him to do so, but its really disappointing.  The characters are assholes, but worse, they are insufferable.  His writing and direction don't deserve the craftsmen who worked on the movie.  

299d2aad-ab0c-4aa0-86b4-a0b820b6008a?ren

We just had a baby last week and I’m on first watch at night trying to buy 3-4 hours of sleep for my wife before she has to wake up to feed her again. It’s been pretty great actually, I just stay up with my newborn and watch movies every night. Some notables: 

The Third Man (1950): I’d never seen it but during this last year I’ve been trying to check out some older movies. I loved it, great setting. A seedy hotel bar filled with black market dealers and military police in post war Vienna is my shit. Orson Wells gets more renown as a writer/director but I like him as an actor as well.

Skyfall (2012): There is probably a Bond movie thread that discuss this but Skyfall has to be the best Bond right? I hadn’t seen it since theaters and it was great. Great villain, very hot Bond girl although she gets dispatched pretty quickly. 

Hail, Caesar! (2016): I remember liking it more the first time I watched it, this time it felt a little light with some funny parts. Love that setting for a Cohen brothers movie, just wanted more out of it. 

Hard Eight (1996): PT Anderson’s first movie. Definitely feels like a first movie in scope compared to his earlier movies but you can see how he became the director that he did. One incredible Phillip Seymour Hoffman scene. Really enjoyable movie and it made me sad this is the type of movie just doesn’t get made anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

We just had a baby last week and I’m on first watch at night trying to buy 3-4 hours of sleep for my wife before she has to wake up to feed her again. It’s been pretty great actually, I just stay up with my newborn and watch movies every night. Some notables: 

The Third Man (1950): I’d never seen it but during this last year I’ve been trying to check out some older movies. I loved it, great setting. A seedy hotel bar filled with black market dealers and military police in post war Vienna is my shit. Orson Wells gets more renown as a writer/director but I like him as an actor as well.

Skyfall (2012): There is probably a Bond movie thread that discuss this but Skyfall has to be the best Bond right? I hadn’t seen it since theaters and it was great. Great villain, very hot Bond girl although she gets dispatched pretty quickly. 

Hail, Caesar! (2016): I remember liking it more the first time I watched it, this time it felt a little light with some funny parts. Love that setting for a Cohen brothers movie, just wanted more out of it. 

Hard Eight (1996): PT Anderson’s first movie. Definitely feels like a first movie in scope compared to his earlier movies but you can see how he became the director that he did. One incredible Phillip Seymour Hoffman scene. Really enjoyable movie and it made me sad this is the type of movie just doesn’t get made anymore. 

Btw, I saw too late that I have a typo or used the wrong word in about every other sentence but considering the amount of sleep I’m running on if the post is halfway comprehensible I’m counting it as a win. 

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Is it too much to ask for a spoiler here, dude? 

13 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Is it too much to ask for a spoiler here, dude? 

Not sure if you are serious about spoiling a minor plot point in a movie that came out 9 years ago and has made a billion dollars but apologies, here you go:

Spoiler

She is very hot:

image.thumb.jpeg.3bce2fb65c31fefca8e59ec8e47c0bd1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/11/2021 at 5:17 AM, Bama Llama said:

In A League of their Own when the Jon Lovitz character is pressing the farmgirl milkmaid to join up, and he shows her with arithmetic how much more $ she would make playing ball, and she still is uncertain, into the uncomfortable silence he says, as if speaking to a moron, "And that would be MORE, wouldn't it?!", I always lose it.  Fucking cracks me up.

tenor (15).gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Since Covid started, I've been going through the AFI yearly top 10 lists back to 2010, and have now knocked out every one that I had a remote interest in seeing.  Arrival was the most recent watch.   Good movie, but my major takeaway is that Amy Adams has a helluvan agent, because she has gotten so many strong, varied roles.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Hard to compare against movies 60 years old, but you can definitely make the case that it's the best, yeah.  It's a great movie despite having a plot rife with holes, that's a knockoff of TDK.  Mendes's cinematography, dialogue and score make none of that matter.

• Hook 'Em 2

Those Who Wish Me Dead- some good performers are trying really hard in this garbage movie, but they’re unable to redeem it. First chink in the armor of Taylor Sheridan; this was really bad. 3/10

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The 300 sequel. More of the same but with Eva Green’s perfect titties on full display.

<-- makes "mmnnnggh" sound like Peter Boyle as the Monster in Young Frankenstein, running his tongue over his upper lip, cuts his eyes at the viewer.  Eva Green, si!

20 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

At some point 99lb Angelina Jolie is going to get tired to beating up guys twice her size.

Her newest was getting plugged somewhere and I had to stop and think whether she's actually ever been in a good movie. 

5 Came Back on Netflix.

3 part doc on Hollywood directors John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, William Wyler and George Stevens, who gave up there careers to join the military and chronicle WW2. 

Their stories are told by Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro and Spielberg.

Amazing story.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/14/2021 at 2:07 AM, ztejas said:

Sundance. Again. Always great. The scene right before they jump into the water has two all-timers for me.

"Would you make a jump like that you didn't have to?"

"I have to and I'm not gonna"

Followed almost immediately by:

""I can't swim."

"What are you, crazy? The fall'll probably kill ya!"

And right before THOSE two is the:

"Well they could surrender but I wouldn't count on it."

Also some of these (older Westerns) are starting to get weird to think about: this film was made 52 years ago. The events were set about 70 years before it was made. 

What happened to the old bank?  It was beautiful. 
People kept robbing it. 
Small price to pay for beauty. 

and…

What’s the secret to your success?

Prayer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

What happened to the old bank?  It was beautiful. 
People kept robbing it. 
Small price to pay for beauty. 

and…

What’s the secret to your success?

Prayer. 

Man I could talk about this movie all night. It's so lighthearted and funny and charming and yet at its core the story it tells is an extremely dark one. 

Because really, if you boil it down, it's about two men constantly in fear, constantly behind the 8 ball, never able to find peace or a moment's rest - ultimately dying before their time soaked in their own blood. 

I know it's an overused adjective but Shakespeareian is a good one for this film. 

Edited by ztejas

On 5/16/2021 at 6:21 AM, Fud said:

Animal Kingdom- solid crime drama about how a small Australian crime family reacts as the law stars closing in. Some great performances in this one, including Ben Mendelssohn. 6.5/10

The name of the movie is hardwired into my brain as:

On 5/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

What a cast of actors.

Growing up reading about D Day and watching this movie, while I'm sure others (in the film) participated in the war, Richard Todd, who portrayed Major John Howard (in charge of the glider troops that took Pegasus (Caen Canal) Bridge) was actually a young Lieutenant in the British Airborne on that night and parachuted in after Howard had secured the bridge. Him and his follow on forces of the British 6th Airborne helped secure the left flank of the invasion. He met up and actually worked for/with Howard in fending off German counterattacks. 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:21 AM, Bama Llama said:

Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins, with Alan Alda, Sally Kellerman, Mackenzie Phillips, Harry Dean Stanton, Charles Martin Smith, Alex Rocco.  Mid 70s how to cope with hard times road movie, well worth the trip.

Alan Alda my senile ass - Alan Arkin.  Jesus, how quickly the confusing years arrive.  

13 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Growing up reading about D Day and watching this movie, while I'm sure others (in the film) participated in the war, Richard Todd, who portrayed Major John Howard (in charge of the glider troops that took Pegasus (Caen Canal) Bridge) was actually a young Lieutenant in the British Airborne on that night and parachuted in after Howard had secured the bridge. Him and his follow on forces of the British 6th Airborne helped secure the left flank of the invasion. He met up and actually worked for/with Howard in fending off German counterattacks. 

That's pretty damned cool.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, Parliament said:

Flight.  Some say that Denzel Washington is overrated and he plays pretty much the same character in every movie. They're wrong.  In this one he nails the part of the asshole you feel real sympathy for.

Yeah somehow we had never seen this.  Watched it last night and thought it was great.