The movie you just watched

F250

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Warrior- this movie has every cliche you can think of, some of the mma stuff is silly, and is 20 minutes too long. But it’s also great. Gary Busey is tremendous in this movie. 7.5/10

Listening to the rewatchables for this, and Russillo and Simmons have this as a top ten sports movie ever

Huh

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Warrior- this movie has every cliche you can think of, some of the mma stuff is silly, and is 20 minutes too long. But it’s also great. Gary Busey is tremendous in this movie. 7.5/10

Good movie, love the camera work before the brothers enter the ring for their fight. 

Starting my horror movie watching a week early 

The Exorcist III- I'd heard that this was a really good bad horror movie, and wow, what the fuck did I just watch? They really went for it here, and there's a lot of terrible and a lot of greatness mixed together to make a beautiful mess. The antagonist's performance makes me wonder if Heath Ledger watched it in preparation for the Joker. There's stuff that Hereditary and Twin Peaks borrowed from (Twin Peaks technically aired before this did, but the dream sequence looked like the 2nd floor gas station scene from Fire Walk With Me). There's snappy film noir/buddy cop dialogue that I've never seen in a horror movie. Some of the acting was bad, some of the cutting was nonsensical. The good was a 9, the bad was a 3, so I'll average and round up to a 6.5/10

Thesis- a very well made Spanish dark thriller (I think it's more thriller than horror) that might be the first movie to tackle the snuff film topic. 8.5/10

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting my horror movie watching a week early 
The Exorcist III- I'd heard that this was a really good bad horror movie, and wow, what the fuck did I just watch? They really went for it here, and there's a lot of terrible and a lot of greatness mixed together to make a beautiful mess. The antagonist's performance makes me wonder if Heath Ledger watched it in preparation for the Joker. There's stuff that Hereditary and Twin Peaks borrowed from (Twin Peaks technically aired before this did, but the dream sequence looked like the 2nd floor gas station scene from Fire Walk With Me). There's snappy film noir/buddy cop dialogue that I've never seen in a horror movie. Some of the acting was bad, some of the cutting was nonsensical. The good was a 9, the bad was a 3, so I'll average and round up to a 6.5/10
Thesis- a very well made Spanish dark thriller (I think it's more thriller than horror) that might be the first movie to tackle the snuff film topic. 8.5/10

Somewhere mixed in The Exorcist 3 is one of the most compelling and terrifying horror movies ever. It’s in there somewhere. They were on to something for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They ruined it by throwing in that garbage exorcism at the end.  It's a far cry from the original but I think it stands on its own fairly well, and of course one of the great jump scares in movie history.  

Always get a kick out of knowing that William Peter Blatty was first known as a comedy writer before hitting it big with The Exorcist. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

Beckett, and Kate. Both very generic, derivative international thriller + assassin action movie.

Beckett has A.Vikander and J David Washington weirdly just limping the entire movie.  A little dull. 

Kate has M Liz Winstead kicking ass in Japan. Well choreographed. More kinetic and a better popcorn watch. 

Malignant

WTF did I just watch. This movie is crazy bonkers nutso. James Wan it seems intentionally set out to make a trashy horror movie but man is it fun. I was laughing my ass off the entire time. If you ever wondered what would happen if a good director intentionally set out to make a bad film, this is it and it was enjoyable. 

This should be considered comedy, not horror. It was so much fun to watch

Edited by ajax
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:58 PM, Fud said:

The antagonist's performance makes me wonder if Heath Ledger watched it in preparation for the Joker.

Haven't seen it - but I did observe recently that Ledger began to nail aspects of that character in Lords of Dogtown. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bottle Rocket is so, so Texas.

Wes has had a great and varied career. Not sure you'd guess where he was from outside of that first one, though. 

I love Wes, but I wouldn’t say that he has a had varied career when most of his movies are the same movie 

21 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Eastern Promises. I’ve seen it more than once and kind of dig it although the knife assault on naked Viggo makes my junk feel sympathetically vulnerable.

Hey no gay jokes here 

I saw this movie once many years ago and remember really thinking it was dark and awesome and from time to time I think to myself "I should watch that again" but never end up doing it. 

10 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Eastern Promises. I’ve seen it more than once and kind of dig it although the knife assault on naked Viggo makes my junk feel sympathetically vulnerable.

Hey no gay jokes here 

image.gif.6cc027eaf60e6a074eea42874fb9fc44.gif

You’d probably enjoy Women in Love with Oliver Reed/Alan Bates.  

On 10/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, ajax said:

Malignant

WTF did I just watch. This movie is crazy bonkers nutso. James Wan it seems intentionally set out to make a trashy horror movie but man is it fun. I was laughing my ass off the entire time. If you ever wondered what would happen if a good director intentionally set out to make a bad film, this is it and it was enjoyable. 

Agreed.  I liked it. 

On 10/6/2021 at 1:21 PM, ajax said:

Malignant

I don’t know- wanted to like it but it was so cheesy… especially the “reveal” when they’re watching the vhs tapes. Almost turned it off at that point.

23 hours ago, Underdog said:

Always thought Poltergeist was overrated but watched a good part of it the other day and it’s pretty damn good, Craig T kills it.  

I missed freshmen orientation because I smoked a joint and went to see Poltergeist. Had an opportunity to make up for it the next day but smoked a joint and went to see Poltergeist again 

• Hook 'Em 1

Boss Baby: Family Business (July, 2021)

Very meh, which was a bummer because I've come to really love the Netflix original series Boss Baby Back in Business (4 seasons). The original movie I thought was good and the show is an excellent treatment with some fun B-school concepts and ideas creatively explored at a high level. It's a super fun series to watch with young kids.

So I was excited for this and it was really bad. I feel like for the bad guy (Goldblum), the director watched Thor Ragnorak and said, let's just do a baby version of that guy and the plot wasn't really that great.

Also, we've come to grow and love some of the canon characters (Jimbo, Stacy, triplets, etc.) and to see them get 1 or 2 seconds of explanation was super disappointing, because the new boss baby (Tina) sucked as a leader/field manager/CEO/whatever.

That's probably 200 more words and thoughts about this movie than anyone cares to read or think, but I thought I'd share.

• Fuck You 1

more Medieval age movies:  The Lion in Winter (1968).

nicely shot and produced.  starts off cracking smart and sharp-witted.... which i thought would resolve decisively... but turns out just to be a prolonged family drama.  still enjoyable, and makes the War Lord look like a high school production.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Devil's Advocate.

Damned entertaining film.

Although you can quibble with Pacino gobbling scenery, and actors, and the entire theater at the end, it is a rare talent that can pull that off, as schlocky as it may have been.

Schlocky is a good word for it. I remember loving this movie when I was a teenager and had a teenagers mind, so it's probably pretty cringe with the benefit of a little bit of life experience and wisdom. That's how those things usually go for me-- the Ayn Rand books out front told me, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

"This Is The End" (2013)

I think I liked this decently when I was too young or impressionable to know any better... but wow if this isn't one of the worst, most self-aggrandizing pieces of shit ever produced. 

Everyone involved in this should be embarrassed, frankly. It's a whore-piece meant to elevate everyone in its standing within a vacuous, agent-fee driven douchefuckscape that was/is Hollywood.

There are of course singular actors in this one that I like and may or may not stand by in the future - but overall this film needs to be ignored and chastised for what it is, that being one of the biggest pieces of flaming dogshit ever conceived by these assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1