The movie you just watched

F250

i finally watched There Will Be Blood, and once again, i just don't get it- "it" being the hype that surrounds the movie. i thought it was fine. DDL was great, Dano was great, the cinematography was dope, but that's about it for me. the story was "meh", and it's not a movie that i would rush to watch again. i guess i'm just one of those people who doesn't "get" a lot of movies.

i went to youtube afterward and watched "TWBB: Explained", but all that stuff about symbolism, and the use of fire, and religion, and all that junk- it never crosses my mind as i'm watching a movie, and it doesn't do anything to enhance the movie when i find out about it later on. again, it was a fine movie, but i didn't see what made it so special in so many people's eyes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Red Notice.  It was boring.  Just a bunch of disparate parts that didn’t work. Ryan Reynolds was quippy. The Rock was big and Arnoldy. Gal Gadot was stylish and absurdly hot. 

Well produced, plot was linear and made sense.  It was just boring. This is the kind of buddy crime move the 90s did so well. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

"Apocalypse Now Redux." Some of the extra scenes are great, but most (not all) are mediocre detours that detract from the original released version. For instance, I'm grateful for the additional scene of Mr. Clean's funeral and the Chief presenting the boat flag to Captain Willard; however, after the novelty of the following scenes from the French plantation wore off, I find them boring and I'm ready to move on.

Funny, I watched it a couple of days ago as well. Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite movies ever since high school. I was actually going to make a thread about Redux and thought I would search first.
  • Hook 'Em 1

i went to youtube afterward and watched "TWBB: Explained", but all that stuff about symbolism, and the use of fire, and religion, and all that junk- it never crosses my mind as i'm watching a movie, and it doesn't do anything to enhance the movie when i find out about it later on.

I bet you hated The Natural then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Came You was pretty well done as one of those "person finds meaning in their own life while helping someone die" movies.   Good work by the two leads, the lead from Sex Ed, and the little warrior princess from GOT.  It didn't bite off too much and came off as pretty realistic.

Ever wish you could get a do-over?  How your life could be different if you had some nearly infinite mulligans?  About Time is a quirky little movie that gets into that.  Rachel McAdams does a good job fitting into a basically Brit cast.  It's more like a fairy tale come true, but it's a nice escape piece.

The Holiday was a Hallmark Movie on steroids, except this one actually implied that some of the characters had sex outside the marriage bed and that is  ok.   I guess there will always be a place for movies that allow us to escape into a world where we are the select few who have all the looks, the charm and great jobs, charming friends and kids, etc (you know, an average surlyite that only bangs 10s).  It was ok, but trite in too many places.  

Now Derka at the bar is a friend of mine
He gets me my drinks for free
And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke
But there's some place that he'd rather be
He says, "Underdog, I believe this is killing me"
As the smile ran away from his face
"Well, I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place"
  • Like 1

Never Let Me Go- interesting premise, gorgeously shot, and great Mulligan, but the story itself and other performances never drew me in enough to really like it. Was hoping for a little more since Alex Garland wrote the screenplay. 6.5/10 

Die Hard 2.  It is viewed as a pale shadow of it's predecessor, and rightly so.  This is a garbage movie.

But I'll suggest that DH2 ushered in the "90's over the top action movie" genre.  Without DW2, we wouldn't have most of Jean Claud Van Dam or Sylvester Stallone's movies.  A world without Demolition Man is a world I don't wanna live in.

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

Die Hard 2.  It is viewed as a pale shadow of it's predecessor, and rightly so.  This is a garbage movie.

But I'll suggest that DH2 ushered in the "90's over the top action movie" genre.  Without DW2, we wouldn't have most of Jean Claud Van Dam or Sylvester Stallone's movies.  A world without Demolition Man is a world I don't wanna live in.

Wait, Die Harder is garbage but Demolition Man has redeeming qualities?

People often start "underappreciated" threads here, but I put these guys on the top as to not enough people seeing more of their very unique flicks. 

. The British film-making partnership of Michael Powell (1905–1990) and Emeric Pressburger (1902–1988)—together often known as The Archers, the name of their production company—made a series of influential films in the 1940s and 1950s. Their collaborations—24 films between 1939 and 1972—were mainly derived from original stories by Pressburger with the script written by both Pressburger and Powell. Powell did most of the directing while Pressburger did most of the work of the producer and also assisted with the editing, especially the way the music was used. Unusually, the pair shared a writer-director-producer credit for most of their films. The best-known of these are The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943), A Canterbury Tale (1944), I Know Where I'm Going! (1945), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Black Narcissus (1947), The Red Shoes (1948), and The Tales of Hoffmann (1951). 

Greenland. 

Guy and his wife and diabetic young son race against time and an "Extinction level" earth strike by a 9-mile-wide comet fragment.  They roll helter-skelter by land from Atlanta to Lexington (KY) to Canada, trying to make it to special survival bunker in Greenland.  SFX and CGI very well done but not overdone.  Aberrant, aggressive behavior of humans fighting for survival al too predictable.  Pretty engaging for a Thanksgiving DVR save.  Scott Glenn aces his supporting role as the wife's crusty old dad.  Gerard Butler's Scots brogue distracts at times but the viewer identifies with his quandaries, which are many. 

On 11/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, Bateshorn said:

Red Notice.  It was boring.  Just a bunch of disparate parts that didn’t work. Ryan Reynolds was quippy. The Rock was big and Arnoldy. Gal Gadot was stylish and absurdly hot. 

Well produced, plot was linear and made sense.  It was just boring. This is the kind of buddy crime move the 90s did so well. 

I saw this last week. Enjoyed it, it was just standard popcorn fair. Was it high cinema? Not at all, it was watch pretty colors and turn off brain.

Watched Spencer this weekend.

Holy shit, did it suck. Just wallowing in misery for two hours with nothing remotely happening. My wife is into the royal family and she came out of the movie hating Princess Di. So, at least it was effective if that was the goal. Really not sure what the goal was, because again, it really sucked.

My favorite part was after two hours of showing how she is miserable and in a prison, she hops in the car with her two sons (you know, including the future king of England) and went to KFC and ate it under Tower Bridge. No one followed her or kept an eye on her. Very much a prison.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I saw this last week. Enjoyed it, it was just standard popcorn fair. Was it high cinema? Not at all, it was watch pretty colors and turn off brain.

Absolutely yes.  It just asked me to turn off the brain a little too much, given the talent involved.  I wanted it to rise up a bit and charm me, but it just refused to. It also refused to be bad. 

Perfect movie to put on and fuck around on your phone, and only remember half the McGuffin chase after.

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Absolutely yes.  It just asked me to turn off the brain a little too much, given the talent involved.  I wanted it to rise up a bit and charm me, but it just refused to. It also refused to be bad. 

Perfect movie to put on and fuck around on your phone, and only remember half the McGuffin chase after.

Plus Russ “tres comas” Hanneman as a asphyxiophile Russian oligarch was pretty funny. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am watching Thor: Ragnorak right now.  There are some seriously laugh out loud moments in this movie.  The humor is fucking fantastic.  And it felt like everyone enjoyed making it.  

One of the best comedies of the last 20 years. I know it’s a Marvel movie, but it’s really a comedy disguised as a Marvel movie. It’s fucking hilarious. Taika Waititi is great. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Sixteen Candles, while getting Christmas stuff out of the attic for the wifey...had to stop and watch a good part of it..so good,  I wonder whatever happened to the stud Jake, seemed like a poor man's Matt Dillon.  Anthony Michael Hall was great.  Cant beat a John Hughes movie to take me back to the 80's.  Pretty in Pink, About Last Night, B-Club et al

• Like 1

The Cabin in the Woods

Watched it for the first time this weekend. 

• Clever
  • Stupid
  • Interesting
  • Original
  • Funny
  • Thrilling

And best of all: Exactly 90 minutes. The perfect length for a clever, stupid, interesting, original, funny, and thrilling movie. 

15 hours ago, ajax said:

Promising Young Woman

Anyone else disappointed by that ending?

Yes.  We had a thread on it a while back.  There was general agreement that everyone was dissatisfied with the ending of an otherwise excellent movie (other than the Surly guys who only fuck 10s and couldn’t get into Carey Mulligan)

Watched Shang Chi last night and really enjoyed it.  Good humor, good action.  Plus a Wong and Abomination appearance!!!