The movie you just watched

F250

The Maggie (1954)

I loved this odd little flick.  It's been in my netflix queue for about five years.  I put it in after watching Sweet Smell of Success because I wanted to see a couple more of Alexander Mackendrick's flicks.  I had no idea that after Sweet Smell Mackendrick really didn't have much success. 

This thing is awesome if you want to be transported to Scotland for 90 mins.  It's a weird cross between one of John Ford's british isles movies and Local Hero.  Or something like one of Powell and Pressberger's early stuff.  Just low key and thoughtful and funny and British as hell.  It's an "Ealing Comedy" -- I think this British studio cranked out a bunch of these little comedies post WWII.

The_Maggie_original_poster.jpg

maggie-the-1954-001-men-on-the-street-00

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I need more movies in the vein of Hell or High Water, Wind River, There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, etc.

You want to watch a few episodes of Longmire.

@Patricio Swayze It just hit me. Old Henry is exactly what you're looking for.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I need more movies in the vein of Hell or High Water, Wind River, There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, etc.

In descending amount of bullets

Wild Bunch

Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

One False Move

Red Rock West

Bad Day at Black Rock

(I don't have much memory of Red Rock so I may be way off on that.)

Watched The Lost Daughter (on Netflix) and The Humans (on Showtime) over the weekend.

The Lost Daughter is Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut, based on a 2006 novel. I think classified as a psychological thriller (though that may be a bit misleading), it explores the tensions that seem inherent in motherhood (I would assume). I thought it was really, really excellent. Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley were phenomenal. Some of the "omens" were a bit heavy handed, and I just can't really buy Dakota Johnson, but overall a great watch.

The Humans is a bit like a horror movie without the blood and guts. I thought it worked well overall and is worth a watch. Gave me flashbacks of the first time my parents visited my crappy apartment in nyc many years ago.   

9 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The Lost Daughter is Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut, based on a 2006 novel. I think classified as a psychological thriller (though that may be a bit misleading), it explores the tensions that seem inherent in motherhood (I would assume). I thought it was really, really excellent. Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley were phenomenal. Some of the "omens" were a bit heavy handed, and I just can't really buy Dakota Johnson, but overall a great watch.

I;ll buy Dakota, and put her in the beach chair next to me for the duration of my Greek vacation.

I'll accept that the acting was excellent. Buckley is always good and so is Colman, but it was an actors' movie and it was great that Maggie got her say, but on the whole it was a beating.

Good job, A for effort, etc.  Kudos all around.  But not memorable and not worth spending the unpleasant time with this unpleasant lot.

Monster Hunter.  Milla Jovovich, Tony Jaa, Ron Perlman.  As far as movies based upon video games go, it had above average acting, fight choreography and special effects.  The monsters looked real enough.  The plot was fairly ridiculous but overall it was mildly entertaining.  

Body of Lies - Ridley Scott CIA/terrorist story with fat Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio.

This felt like 2/3rds of a movie. When it ends, it's kind of at the point of a normal 2nd act when the protagonist is at his low point.  It was weird that the entire 3rd act was compressed into about a 20 second action scene.  The capture of the terrorist leader is off screen and mentioned in a single line of dialog. Very weird. 

However, that 2/3rds of a movie isn't bad. DiCaprio is solid as a quickly disillusioned CIA operative.  Crowe is a complete cunt as his handler.  Mark Strong is the best in his role as the Jordanian Head of Intelligence. I kinda would've rather seen a movie based on that character.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, ernest_t_bass said:

Took the kids to watch Sing 2.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  Much better than the first one.  

We rented Sing 2 ($24.99, Amazon Prime) and everyone loved it.

Weve seen Sing 1 at least 20 times (perfect movie to put on the TV on long car rides because the sound track as well) and so it was much anticipated in our household.

So while we loved it, we also loved the first one which it sounds like you guys didn’t.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, Nonbryan said:

I just watched the Rescue on Disney plus Nat Geo. It's a documentary about the rescue of the Thai boys soccer team that was caught in that flooded cave system.  Highly recommend.

Yeah that was really good.

They wisely barely mentioned Elon's harebrained submarine scheme and completely left out his accusation of pedophilia.

Taxi Driver.
I honestly never noticed the last scene when Travis looks up into his mirror.  Holy shit.  After I saw that I went on line and read all the interpretations.
Good stuff.

One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Unsure how many times I have seen it. Watched the 25th anniversary theatrical release at the now closed Greenway Plaza cinema.

I am glad they never did a sequel like some had discussed. I always assumed Travis backslides and ultimately gets killed (likely by the cops or some other government law enforcement agency).

8 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Bad Day at Black Rock was just on TCM. What a cast.

They wouldn’t even try to pull off Spencer Tracy’s slow burn anymore. If there was a reboot the lead would kill everybody in the first 15 minutes 

That cast was crazy good, yet Tracy stole every scene.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

We watched Darkest Hour last night. I really liked it. Plus, I really like The Lovely Lily James.

Oldman is fantastic at character work and this may be his best.

• Hook 'Em 2