The movie you just watched

F250

Memento.  Now in my sixth day with Covid (even with 2Xshots and booster), I went back to watch the excellent performances by Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Joe Pantoliano.   Was just as amazed/confused until the end as the first time I watched it but appreciate the outstanding work by Christopher Nolan in writing and directing this remarkable film. 

Nightmare Alley on tcm noir night. Theres a remake so I’ll hide my comments. 

Spoiler

What a great and almost perfect movie with three great women roles The mentalist and psychologist were really good. The wife was good but a little inconsistent. Tyrone Power put himself out there. Depressing as fuck but that’s the story the writer wrote. His life was interesting too with his ex wife marrying cs Lewis. 

Spoiler

The Courier

It’s on Amazon Prime now. Benedict Cumberbatch plays an English salesman smuggling nuclear missile secrets out of the Soviet Union.

At first he was just going along for the ride but develops a friendship with the Soviet spy. Great set piece and excellent acting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Tender Bar

Amazon Prime Video

Set in 1970s Long Island, 9-year-old JR Maguire and his mother Dorothy move back in with his grandparents following the dissolution of her relationship with his father. There, he forms a bond with his Uncle Charlie, the owner of a local bar. Charlie acts as a surrogate father to JR and encourages him in his pursuit of becoming a successful writer. Charlie's mother is determined that he will go to Yale or Harvard and become a lawyer.

Clooney directs and Ben Affleck plays Uncle Charlie. Based on the memoir of the same name by JR Moehringer.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

12 Mighty Orphans.  On Amazon Prime.  Story of Coach Rusty Russell and his fielding the first football team at the Masonic Home for Orphans in Ft Worth in 1938.   

It won't win many awards, but it's got a good cast and is well done.  Definitely worth the time.

It's on Starz right now. Great little low budget indie with an excellent cast. We used to play Masonic Home in HS. Beat them 97-0 once. We were punting on 2nd Down.

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

Saw the newest Scream today in theaters. It was alright. Matrix Resurrection levels of self-awareness, kind of annoying.

Yeah, but that's kind of been Scream's thing since the first one.

Spoilers below (including who the bad guy is)

Spoiler

The actress who played Ghostface Amber must like getting set on fire in films.  Same actress who played the Manson chick who got torched by Leonardo DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I recognized her the entire time but couldn't put my finger on where.  Literally once she was lit on fire and started shrieking it all came back to me.

Edited by Tom

Watched a noir film on Saturday night (Noir Alley) I had never seen bedore called The Mob (1951) and it was teriffic.

Starred Broderick Crawford in the lead role and he was great.

Also had Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Neville Brand and Matt Crowley. 

A really good film and I highly recommend it if you like noir.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, Nonbryan said:

I just watched the Rescue on Disney plus Nat Geo. It's a documentary about the rescue of the Thai boys soccer team that was caught in that flooded cave system.  Highly recommend.

"Remember the Thai Teens", now streaming on Disney+.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Watched a noir film on Saturday night (Noir Alley) I had never seen bedore called The Mob (1951) and it was teriffic.

As an old, I grew up watching Broderick Crawford in Highway Patrol and was a fan from the beginning. I will definitely check this out based on the lineup of stars listed.  Thanks for the review.

The Counselor. Never watched it before but it was released in 2013 and roundly slammed by critics as I recall which was disappointing because I think that Ridley Scott fellow is a pretty darned good director. It’s on the Starz rotation now. Not without some redeeming qualities but gotdamn even a decade ago Cameron Diaz looked like 12 miles of bad road 

Back to the Future 3.  Not as good as 1 and 2, but a fine movie just the same.  Doc Brown stayed in 1885, and was presumably arrested for stealing that locomotive at gunpoint.  And rightly so.  You can't do that.

All for a chick.  Undefeated

Edited by Parliament

Rewatched Triangle this weekend. 4th time of watching it. Still as trippy as the first viewing.

There are some really great articles out there about this movie - the connections to Greek Mythology, all the hidden meanings and symbols throughout the movie, etc. I highly recommend doing a Google search and reading some of this stuff, you will no doubt find some stuff you didn’t catch. Obviously you’ve seen it 4 times, you are as intrigued by it as I was.

I think one of the coolest things about the movie is that even though it can be extremely deep and complex, it doesn’t do it in a pretentious way, it’s just a good horror flick at face value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Just watched it. Great noir flick.

7 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

The Counselor. Never watched it before but it was released in 2013 and roundly slammed by critics as I recall which was disappointing because I think that Ridley Scott fellow is a pretty darned good director. It’s on the Starz rotation now. Not without some redeeming qualities but gotdamn even a decade ago Cameron Diaz looked like 12 miles of bad road 

Lot's of great memories watching this shitshow while sitting beside my sister in the theatre.  And for the life of me, the only redeeming quality this waste of time presented is when the damn thing ended.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, Tom said:

Yeah, but that's kind of been Scream's thing since the first one.

Spoilers below (including who the bad guy is)

Hide contents

The actress who played Ghostface Amber must like getting set on fire in films.  Same actress who played the Manson chick who got torched by Leonardo DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I recognized her the entire time but couldn't put my finger on where.  Literally once she was lit on fire and started shrieking it all came back to me.

damn, i knew i recognized her!

i enjoyed the new movie.  i thought it was definitely better than scream 3 and scream 4.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Last night we watched this. I remember having gone to the theater with my dad to see it when it came out. I still enjoyed it.

For a split second there I thought you were talking about "Where Eagles Dare" (which I saw with my dad, I think), and I was taken aback at your lack of enthusiasm.