The movie you just watched

F250

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The Gentlemen.   Great performance by Hugh Grant.  McConnaughey was so so. 

That one is on my list to watch but rewatched The Power of The Dog last night. It may be an unpopular opinion in this thread, but that movie and the actors within is alright. A lot going on.

I think Kirsten Dunst deserved her nomination (Oscar for best supporting female), although I certainly don't fault the winner, the competition was fierce and any one of the female nominees in that category gave stellar performances.

We've been working our way through various award winners on Netflix (after TCMs 31 days of Oscar), and its been fun watching and rewatching films both new and old.

I also thought the Gentlemen was a decent flick.   

Watched the Power Project the other day.   Promising idea but it kind of fell flat with the expected predictable ending.

Just finished Operation Mincemeat.   Entertaining telling about a true deception the Allies played on the Germans during WWII.  Could have done without the dumbass made up love triangle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cross-posting from another thread, but watched MEN last night. It is…something. I overall “liked it”, although some parts didn’t really work for me. I would suggest seeing it once in a theater.

Jesse Buckley can do no wrong.

Alex Garland had a lot of shit kicking around in his head about men/masculinity and it’s interaction with/impact on women.

Spider-man Homecoming and Spider-man Far From Home, in anticipation of finally getting around to watching the latest one with the children. They didn't seem to age as well as I thought on a second viewing, a little boring and lame. Especially the Mysterio villain and storyline. Homecoming was much better.

27 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Spider-man Homecoming and Spider-man Far From Home, in anticipation of finally getting around to watching the latest one with the children. They didn't seem to age as well as I thought on a second viewing, a little boring and lame. Especially the Mysterio villain and storyline. Homecoming was much better.

While the Maguire trilogy is often used as the bar, I still give my vote to The Amazing series (Garfield) as having been under-rated for years. TASM and its sequel has things wrong with it that were not entirely the fault of the director and cast, but what they got right was really pretty good. I'm only a quasi-fan of franchise films, they seem to use up all the oxygen in the room when a less is more would've perhaps been more prudent. But it's a business and not one that I'd be good at, I'm sure. Not much of a fan of the current Spiderman (Holland) reiteration either but I understand the desire to have the ensemble Avenger type movies. At least with No Way Home, the writers brought in the older cast and villains to liven things up a bit.

The scene in The Offer where Redford came up got me wondering what film he did after Butch Cassidy.  Turns out it's Downhill Racer.  Boy, what a boring piece of crap.  I guess back in 1969, beautiful people in a beautiful setting was all it took to get a movie greenlit.   While looking it up, I stumbled on Bronson's The Mechanic.  Hoping for better results with this one.  

19 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Turns out it's Downhill Racer.  Boy, what a boring piece of crap.  I guess back in 1969, beautiful people in a beautiful setting was all it took to get a movie greenlit.

Yeah, there weren't a lot of explosions and gunfights.

Yeah, there weren't a lot of explosions and gunfights.

Are you taking a shot at me saying if a movie doesn’t have explosions or gunfights, I’m too stupid to grasp the point of the film? If so, that’s not very nice and 100% inaccurate. This is smack dab in the middle of my favorite era of movies. I get it. This movie didn’t have it. There wasn’t much of anything. Characters were surface level at best. Redford’s characters was supposed to be an arrogant hotshot who rubbed his teammates the wrong way. I didn’t see him that way. His teammates must have been overly sensitive pussies. And it turned out he was correct and he was better than them. So they should STFU. All know is I had to pause it to go to lunch and I thought I’d seen maybe 1/4 of the movie. Turns out I’d seen 2/3 of it. It was boring and pointless. And the skiing was average at best. Redford was cool though.

I don’t know. If you have any wisdom to impart to me on why this is a good film, I’d love to hear it. Also, The Mechanic was pretty bad too.

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

Are you taking a shot at me saying if a movie doesn’t have explosions or gunfights, I’m too stupid to grasp the point of the film? If so, that’s not very nice and 100% inaccurate.

I was comparing it to Butch & Sundance. It does have a guy slamming into a stone bridge full speed, so it has that going for it.

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

John and the Hole (2021)

I'll admit, I was kinda into the style, but what the fucking fuck?  Didn't understand a bit of it, and after googling it, still don't.john-and-the-hole-movie-review-2021.jpeg

I haven't seen it yet--it was done by one of the writers for Birdman, correct?

On 1/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, TwiceHorn said:

But Boiler Room is not about Wall Street.  Margin Call is alright. Id say that it was over cast or underperformed its cast. Not sure why you would even compare them. 

Just saw this on Netflix for first time. I thought it was good but agree it felt a bit underwhelming based on the cast. Mainly Paul Bettany seemed cheesy. I think it was the writing and dialogue.

Jerrmy Irons and Tucci were good but Kevin Spacey killed it. He’s such a good actor, it really is a shame he’s just a horrible person and abuser in real life.

Also seemed like a topical movie with us heading into a recession soon. Have to get reacquainted with that mindset.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Margin Call is an excellent movie.  Perhaps you'd like it better if it had a talking raccoon. 

I thought it was good. It wasn’t excellent. The dialogue and some of the writing was very amateur at times. I will say it was an excellent directorial debut, though, for a first crack at writing and directing something. Kevin Spacey was excellent. Not sure that Bradley Cooper would have added anything to the movie though given it’s structural limitations, so I disagree with your raccoon comment.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Margin Call is an excellent movie.  Perhaps you'd like it better if it had a talking raccoon. 

I should have seen that you said Gone Girl was an excellent movie and you’ve seen it many, many times and think it’s a great rewatch before taking your reply serious enough to respond to. This is on me, my fault, I’ll take ownership of this mistake.

Just watched 12 Monkeys again last night.

Had not seen it in twenty years. Very good film and very "Brazil'ish" thanks to Terry Gilliam.

I highly recommend you watch it again if you have not seen it in a while.

Brad Pitt was outstanding in it and was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Also one of Bruce Willis' best performances.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Hustle (2022)

Trifling, but I enjoyed it. 

Who doesn't like Adam Sandler?

I was listening to the Big Picture yesterday and they did a Top 5 Sandler episode. It’s surprisingly hard. 

Non negotiable for me are Punch Drunk Love and Billy Madison. Then I’d probably go Uncut Gems, Happy Gilmore and Wedding Singer, but tough leaving off Meyerowitz stores, and 10 year old me is pissed at leaving off Waterboy and Big Daddy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Just watched 12 Monkeys again last night.

Had not seen it in twenty years. Very good film and very "Brazil'ish" thanks to Terry Gilliam.

I highly recommend you watch it again if you have not seen it in a while.

Brad Pitt was outstanding in it and was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Also one of Bruce Willis' best performances.

I’ve seen it more recently than that but probably about a decade ago. I still have the DVD. Brazil too. I last watched Brazil during the quarantine. Such a classic.