The movie you just watched

F250

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That’s why I gave a big chuckle when, during the credits, they showed a letter the woman wrote where she was talking about the Queen.

Something about the eloquence in British accent when talking like a lower class hooker makes it less improper imho.  Laughed until my sides hurt and learned some new rather proper insults to boot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched The Departed last night for the first time in years.

Great cast, great script, great acting, strong directing.  Thoroughly enjoyed, though I will admit I had forgotten the resolution...

If I did not know it was adapted from a synthesis of several different stories, I would have thought that the resolution in the last 10 minutes was due to a funding or movie length issue.  "Hey, Martin (Scorsese); the movie's already at 2:30 and they money guys are getting a little pinched.  Let's wrap it up."

5 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

"Hey, Martin (Scorsese); the movie's already at 2:30 and they money guys are getting a little pinched.  Let's wrap it up."

Moments later, Killers of the Flower Moon was heard saying..."Hold my beer"

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:00 PM, futureman said:

they’re screening this at the bullock soon.  on IMAX.  never saw it but how does this movie warrant a screening on IMAX?

It doesn't. The movie isn't horrible but it definitely doesn't warrant an IMAX screening.

I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend. I didn't know what it was about until the Polanski and Sharon Tate characters showed up next door.

Damn. This was a really good movie. Tarantino really captured the yuck factor of hippies.

Margaret Qualley was hot but damn she looked like she needed a bath.

e5cdcb5a-5727-4fc8-971c-639013bf16a9_tex

• Hook 'Em 2

Greatest Hits

Really well done movie. It's refreshing to see a movie that isn't made for morons. I've been watching so many Netflix/Prime movies where everything needs to be spelled out with exhaustive expositional dialogue. Hell even theatrical releases to this.

This movie just lets things unfold and lets you figure out what's going on. I'm probably overrating it for this reason. But it was an enjoyable movie. 

Lucy Boynton can act and is easy on the eyes too.

• Like 1

Just watched Another Round on Netflix last night. 

It won Academy for best full feature foreign film in 2020.

Dark comedy staring Mads Mikkelsen about a bunch of middle aged dudes teaching in Copenhagen using alcohol to solve their problems with hilarious consequences.

There is an American version in the works starring Leo DiCaprio, but I don't think it will work as well set on the US.

Nice hidden gem and the womens will like it too...just like Irish Spring.

Has kind of a Full Monty feel about it once it gets rolling.

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing this movie Abigail. 

I hate the fact that the trailers and even the movie poster gives the plot away. The reviewers have said if you didn't know going into it, you would be wondering up until halfway through the movie what the hell's going on. Now granted, the twist is pretty obvious, but it would still be fun to figure out.

It's getting pretty good reviews. 

So if you like horror movies and you don't know a thing about Abigail, I suggest you don't look up the trailer or anything about it and just go see it.

Saw Monkey Man this week and really enjoyed it.  People keep bringing up John Wick, but it has much more on its' mind.  The setting and environment is very unique and not something you see a lot in movies.  It's much more political in nature.  As far as the action, I think it is more similar to something like Atomic Blond.  The action is actually pretty minimal and when it happens, it is much more brutal and personal than Wick.  It's people just trying to survive with whatever is within arm's reach, instead of the Gun Fu of John Wick.

You can see some of the seams of the story since it bounced around so many studios (it's an interesting Hollywood story), but it's a really impressive directing debut from Dev Patel.  These movies are not easy to make. 

On 4/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, austingirl said:

This was super fun. Don't get hung up on the inaccuracies; it's best to just go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is - a Guy Ritchie/Jerry Bruckheimer film.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

we are going to go see this today.

It was fun. A bit silly but, fun. I may just have to go look for the book.

• Hook 'Em 1

It isn't a new movie, but we saw H Is For Happiness (2019) last evening and it was oddball, charming, sad, and hilarious. It reminded me of the Netflix movie, Dumplin,' with Jennifer Anniston in that it takes a serious topic and its effects from the perspective of the child/teen. it's a good watch.

Spoiler

Set in Australia it's about a young girl whose family is grieving the loss of her sister and the estrangement between her father and her uncle over a business deal gone sour. A new boy appears at school and she befriends him as she is trying to 'fix' her broken family.

The two movies share something else but you gotta watch it for that.

Here's a trailer:

Spoiler

Can someone please suggest some old horror movies?

How old? Pre 1980? Can’t miss with any of these I don’t think. Apologies that some are obvious and you’ve probably seen.

The Innocents
Carnival of Souls
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Rosemarys Baby
The Exorcist
The Birds
Psycho
Night of the Living Dead
Don’t Look Now
The Wicker Man (73)
Blood on Satans Claw
Texas Chainsaw
The Omen
Burnt Offerings
The Changling
Carrie
Alice Sweet Alice
The Brood
The Fog
Magic
Alien
Theatre of Blood
Who Can Kill A Child
Jaws
Black Christmas
The Shining
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Halloween
Suspiria
Repulsion
Onibaba
Kwaidan
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/21/2024 at 3:59 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Top 10 all time movie for me, and for my money, Hitchcock's best. Eva is a smoke show in that. Carey Grant at his very best. 

It’s going to be at the theaters in the next few weeks. One of those Fathom Events anniversary showings.

https://www.fathomevents.com/news/fathom-events-warner-bros-celebrate-the-65th-anniversary-of-north-by-northwest-flying-into-theaters-nationwide-on-may-19-and-22/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It’s going to be at the theaters in the next few weeks. One of those Fathom Events anniversary showings.

https://www.fathomevents.com/news/fathom-events-warner-bros-celebrate-the-65th-anniversary-of-north-by-northwest-flying-into-theaters-nationwide-on-may-19-and-22/

Thanks! I did one of those back in 2016. Pretty fun seeing it on the big screen. Might have to do it again. 

11 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Thanks! I did one of those back in 2016. Pretty fun seeing it on the big screen. Might have to do it again. 

I’ve done that a good number of times. Movies like Lawrence of Arabia and the like are much more amazing on a big screen. I’ve even done it for fights, like Fury v Wilder II. Canelo Alvarez has a fight coming up that will be shown on the big screen.

Edited by PittsburghTiger