The movie you just watched

F250

• 2 weeks later...

No Time to Die. 

Never read anything about the movie, so I had no expectations.  Action scenes were well done, scenery (especially Italy) was gorgeous.  I enjoyed the "Did she betray me or did she not?" quandry that Bond struggled with.  Those are the nice things I have to say about the movie.  The movie had a super glaring plot hole that ruined it for me.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.   

Thought a big disappointment.  Didn’t think Brad did anything deserving of winning Best Supporting Actor as it was Brad just doing Brad, nothing more.  Think Tarantino plucked this movie off the vine way before it was ripe.

Bride & Prejudice (2004)

If you’re in the mood for a Jane Austen inspired Bollywood musical rom-com, this movie is for you! Worth it just for the lead actress’s eyes. They sucked me in and I had to watch the entire movie.

Broadcast News

Still holds up, but showing it’s age. I had such a crush on HH after seeing this in ‘87. I’d never heard of her before that.

• Drool 1

The Man in the White Suit (1951)

Another Ealing studio flick directed by Alexander Mackendrick and staring Alec Guinness, who looked old even when he was young.  Very odd slice of history, I liked it but so very British.

the-man-in-the-white-suit.gif

Following a common Ealing Studios theme of the "common man" against the Establishment, satirises interplay of innovator (our hero), against entrenched interests -- trade unions and wealthy mill owners. Fearing loss of income, via reduced need for their labour on the one hand, and resources on the other, that would predictably result from his revolutionary new (white) textile, they conspire his downfall.[3]

Captains Courageous. In my Top 10. Spencer Tracy was a helluva actor and he had a helluva supporting cast. Lionel Barrymore, Melvyn Douglas, John Carradine, Mickey Rooney and Freddie Bartholomew. It was so well made that the B footage was used as stock for sea movies and shorts years after.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 5

A Hero (2021)  (Not to be confused with Summer Lovers.)

I really like this guy's plodding movies, because I really have trouble keeping up with the Iranian characters motivations, which creates some interesting mystery and conflicts.  I had a bit more trouble with this than I have Farhadi's previous movies back to "A Separation", because the lead character was just a bit too inscrutable. 

But quality if you can handle the pace..

220117_r39714.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

A Hero (2021)  (Not to be confused with Summer Lovers.)

I really like this guy's plodding movies, because I really have trouble keeping up with the Iranian characters motivations, which creates some interesting mystery and conflicts.  I had a bit more trouble with this than I have Farhadi's previous movies back to "A Separation", because the lead character was just a bit too inscrutable. 

But quality if you can handle the pace..

220117_r39714.jpg

Loved this movie. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:29 PM, NTVTXN said:

impressive GIF
So, I just watched this for the frost time. 
Can someone please explain it to me?

I want to understand it. 

Watch it again. Then a 3rd time. You should start to get it by then. 

Anyone that says they understood it on a first viewing is lying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Punished myself with 2 more of liam neeson geriatric hero tropes, The Marksman and Cold Pursuit. 

bob odenkirks Nobody was very fun brainless action movie. 

the counselor (2013) is either a great movie that was terribly produced, or a terrible movie with a great a great cast. Cant figure. And whats with javier bardems hair lmao. 

rewatched Dune. Fucking spectacular movie and the sound engineering might be even better. First time i saw it was on a laptop and now on my home theater and its amazing. 

An oddball little film on Prime called Arkansas.  Directed by and starring Clark Duke, with whom some may be familiar.

Kind of a noir crime flick comedy with unconventional characters.  Intriguing cast with Vince Vaughn, Michael K. Williams RIP, about 15 minutes of Malkovich, and Brolin's daughter.  Oh, and Liam Hemsworth.

Not sure what I thought about it or would recommend it, but it did provoke me to obtain a copy of the novel on which it was based.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, mr. sunshine said:

The Counselor. Never watched it before but it was released in 2013 and roundly slammed by critics as I recall which was disappointing because I think that Ridley Scott fellow is a pretty darned good director. It’s on the Starz rotation now. Not without some redeeming qualities but gotdamn even a decade ago Cameron Diaz looked like 12 miles of bad road 

It's a guilty pleasure of mine.  I thought it was terribad the first time I saw it after looking forward to it for months.

But, I have watched it numerous times since just because it has a ton of great scenes/vignettes.

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I felt the same way watching this as I did when I read The Great Gatsby. I hated everyone. There was only one somewhat sympathetic character and that was the one played by the Chloe gal. Everyone else needed punched.

Really bought into Metropolitan, Last Days of Disco and Barcelona - Whit Stillman's first three features.  I think the issue is more about the way the director portrays folks and the fact that they are over the top preppies.  I hated all these folks until I really liked all of them.  If memory serves, Last Days did have the least accessible characters.   My wife couldn't deal with the mannered dialogue of the flicks but I loved them.  The trio are pretty unique.  They remind me a bit of the first couple of Hal Hartley flicks with their mannered dialogue. 

In the VHS of Metropolitan that I first saw, it was released with a short film called something like "The Importance of Being Frank", which was really great.  Can't find it anywhere online.

3 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

White Boy Rick (2018)

Solid gangsta movie with lots of "holy shit, that sucks for that dude".  Matt McCaunoughy, Rory Cochrane and and a not fatastically offputting Jennifer Jason Leigh are part of the really good cast.  Worth a watch.

White_Boy_Rick.jpg

Didn't know this existed.  I saw the documentary by the same or a similar name.  Gonna have to check it out.

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Why?

Shitty, depressing, deflating story that the acting and photography couldn't overcome (Re:  The Lighthouse).

Sometimes when the photography is so good you can smell the land or the people or the food.  This was that good, but the smells were rotten fish, urine and halitosis.

Kept wanting his twin brother to be dropped off by helicopter to save the day.

dc14649af6f9bc2d8cb5914a2d9c4f5ec92e2841

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

In the VHS of Metropolitan that I first saw, it was released with a short film called something like "The Importance of Being Frank", which was really great.  Can't find it anywhere online.

I guess I was more open minded in my youth.  This is still pretty good, and interesting that it is Greg Mattola's (Adventurland/Superbad) first short film.

Boy I really loved The Tender Bar, although deep down it was way too cute.

Made me feel REALLY old.  Party because I grew up with all of that music, and partly because that was exactly my college era, with a three person dorm room and no computers unless you went to the computer center.

There once was a time when coming of age movies were about planning.  Now they are about reminiscing, and avoiding regret.  Gather your damn rosebuds.

Although that was the wrong college ride.

8602.jpg

On 2/7/2022 at 5:12 PM, Sleep off ugly said:

I just rewatched Free Guy (the Ryan Reynold movie).

I love this film. Without reservations. It is kind and beautiful and sweet. It’s also ridiculous and Hollywood to the core. I may have had allergies during certain scenes. If you are looking for a family friendly movie I highly suggest it.

I'm going to try and see this soon, but I've always been a Reynolds fan (okay, he's right about Green Lantern but I'm not always watching for plot so who cares). Also a Dan Stevens fan (I maybe, just maybe have a  'type' --are you listening Daniel Craig?) and finally watched Eurovision: Fire Saga last week and Stevens really did an excellent job of villain who is not a villain. Ferrell poking fun at corporatism was a bonus.

We grab a subscription for a couple of months in the winter when we have more time and watch all the movies we can, so thanks for pointing out a potential good one.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Really bought into Metropolitan, Last Days of Disco and Barcelona - Whit Stillman's first three features.  I think the issue is more about the way the director portrays folks and the fact that they are over the top preppies.  I hated all these folks until I really liked all of them.  If memory serves, Last Days did have the least accessible characters.   My wife couldn't deal with the mannered dialogue of the flicks but I loved them.  The trio are pretty unique.  They remind me a bit of the first couple of Hal Hartley flicks with their mannered dialogue. 

I saw a bit of Metropolitan. I tried twice but, couldn't watch the whole thing. I thought it was dreadful. I think what I saw was worse that Last Days of Disco.

34 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I saw a bit of Metropolitan. I tried twice but, couldn't watch the whole thing. I thought it was dreadful. I think what I saw was worse that Last Days of Disco.

Yep, if you don't buy into the stylized, "untrue" dialogue, it's all over for any of these movies.  I kinda liked the "real" and goofy motivations of the young characters, once you got past all the weird mannerisms, but I guess I had a high tolerance for suffering through the characters' words and actions.

The last scene, credits of Last Days of Disco encapsulates all of this.  It is dreadful, but given all the shit you've just watched, and what disco means to some people, it's a perfect ending IF you've bought into the whole premise. (Very well could be an age thing too, because I've always thought disco was fucking awesome.)

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob
  • Hook 'Em 1