The movie you just watched

F250

Watched Midnight Cowboy last night. Not the feel good movie of 1969 nor in 2020 either.  Worth a watch.  
Did finally realize where the ending scene from a Seinfeld episode  in which Jerry and Kramer are riding the bus came from. That has been a mystery for years. 

7 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Watched Midnight Cowboy last night. Not the feel good movie of 1969 nor in 2020 either.  Worth a watch.  
Did finally realize where the ending scene from a Seinfeld episode  in which Jerry and Kramer are riding the bus came from. That has been a mystery for years. 

Best theme, and title song ever.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, wutang75 said:

The Wailing is a masterpiece. I saw it when it first came out and I don’t think I completely “got it”. After reading about how great it was several times I gave it another shot. My daughter and I are on an Asian Horror kick and we knocked it our last night. Completely held out attention for the full 2.5 hours and never lets up. One of the few horror movies that really nails the ending as well. Can’t recommend enough.

We have watched over 40 horror movies this year. Maybe I should start a horror movie thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best horror of the decade, imo 

The wife (no pics) and I have started a weekly Friday movie night since quarantine started. We are on a good run, no complaints the past 5 weeks with movies neither of us have seen.  While I concede that we weren’t taking any risks with these movies given prior reviews and awards, it’s refreshing to have a run of movies we both REALLY liked.  In order of enjoyment:

Jojo Rabbit

Parasite

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Knives Out

The Gentlemen

On 4/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, wutang75 said:

The Wailing is a masterpiece. I saw it when it first came out and I don’t think I completely “got it”. After reading about how great it was several times I gave it another shot. My daughter and I are on an Asian Horror kick and we knocked it our last night. Completely held out attention for the full 2.5 hours and never lets up. One of the few horror movies that really nails the ending as well. Can’t recommend enough.

We have watched over 40 horror movies this year. Maybe I should start a horror movie thread?

23 hours ago, Fud said:

Best horror of the decade, imo 

I'm not really sure WTF I just watched.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:44 AM, Sbbruin said:

“The Hurt Locker”  I am surprised it won best picture.  

Here's the competition.  

The Hurt Locker Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier, and Greg Shapiro
Avatar James Cameron and Jon Landau
The Blind Side Gil Netter, Andrew A. Kosove, and Broderick Johnson
District 9 Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham
An Education Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey
Inglourious Basterds Lawrence Bender
Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness, and Gary Magness
A Serious Man Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
Up Jonas Rivera
Up in the Air
  • Like 1

I'm not really sure WTF I just watched.

In a good or bad way? That’s kind of how I felt the first time I watched it. Would love to hear your thoughts - on here or shoot me a PM. I can tell you a couple things that might clear it up a bit.

3 hours ago, wutang75 said:

In a good or bad way? That’s kind of how I felt the first time I watched it. Would love to hear your thoughts - on here or shoot me a PM. I can tell you a couple things that might clear it up a bit.

I did some googling.  Just wasn't 100% on the ending, and WTF was actually going on.

Wow! Just watched 'Cruising' starring Al Pacino, Karen Allen from Indiana Jones and a very young Ed O'Neil in his debut role. Apparently this movie had to be edited down to not receive an X-rating and you can see why. Interesting film. It's free on Vudu. 

Speaking of Pacino, he just turned 80 over the weekend. Hard to believe. 

On 4/24/2020 at 10:16 AM, wutang75 said:

Thanks for the rec, fantastic flick!

Battle Beyond the Stars:  Roger Corman produced Dollar Store attempt to ride the coattails of Star Wars.  John Sayles penned this one and after seeing it you'd never imagine he'd go on to make Lone Star.  James Cameron did the special effects on a shoestring budget.  George Peppard shows up to cash a check while waiting for The A Team to become a thing.  The Millennium Falcon analog looks like a flying set of boobs.  File under "so bad it's good." 

Edited by Continental Op

Original Peter Pan since I hadn't seen it in likely 25 years... then the wife wanted to watch Hook since I'm always saying.. you haven't seen that to classic movies and in return i had never seen it..and it is one of her favorites.

Damnit I'm still not ready to watch robin William movies.. i have to think jack and hook were some of his more favorite roles to play. 

I just bought what  dreams may come also... i have always loved that movie but know I'm likely to bawl when i watch it.. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:36 PM, Radical Larry said:

Beastie Boys Story on Apple TV+. It's fucking fantastic.

[csb]  The fiancee's daughter (no pics of either) attends NYU and lives in the same dorm where Rubin basically started Def Jam and sometimes recorded the Beasties.  Says the dorm room has started to take on a sort of mythical character due to all of the stories.  Gotta give the man credit.  Knew what he wanted to hear and pursued that specific sound/vibe/style.  [/csb]  

In the last two weeks, I’ve convinced my wife to watch:

Sophie’s Choice
The French Connection
Snatch
We’re halfway through Blood Simple.

If you knew my wife’s terrible taste in movies, you’d know why I’m so proud. I came home today and she was watching Green Card. On Apple TV. By choice. She literally sought out Green Card and watched it. And I convinced this person to watch The French Connection.

I will now take a bow.

Life of Crime (2013).  I recently read the Elmore Leonard novel The Switch that this is based on.  It was a pretty faithful adaptation with good acting from Jennifer Aniston, Mos Def, John Hawkes, Isla Fisher, and Will Forte.  It's set in 1978 so the period stuff was fun too.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:53 PM, PRONG HORN said:

I probably enjoyed Up in the Air the most out of these, but realize it's not best picture Oscar winning type movie.

12 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

To Have and Have Not (1944)

dolores+moran+HaveNot.jpeg

Couple of swell dames but to me not up as good as Key Largo and it's stellar supporting cast.

Dolores Moran was no slouch.  Don't think Howard Hawks made out too badly with the revenge affair.

THaHN is good, but not great. Best part is the little butt wiggle from Bacall at the end. KL is a better film all the way around.

Ben Stiller Double Feature on IFC this afternoon...

The Watch -  Good Lord, what a heaping pile of shit that was, VV should've been forced to give back his pay for this one.  

The Heartbreak Kid -  Not a big fan of it, has its moments but also has Michelle Monaghan and Malin Akerman.  Took me a bit to recognize Flo from Progressive as one of the family members to MM's character.