The movie you just watched

F250

On 6/4/2020 at 1:41 PM, Ths71 said:

a68b47edb87bba130920a0adbc5a506f.jpg

Just showed up on Amazon Prime. Revisionist history but great fun. Richard Mulligan from Soap as a demented Custer is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loved this movie. Another good one is a man called horse.

• Like 2

Just fired up Big Lights, Big City. Michael J. Fox, Phoebe Cates, and Kiefer Sutherland. I think movies about the 80's are better than movies from the 80's, 
Edit: I bailed. Sexy Beast is a much better choice. Mr. French's second best movie. Maybe Ben Kingsley's best role.

Sexy Beast. One of my favorite opening scenes ever.

(RIP Dave Greenfield. Keyboard player for The Stranglers who died last week.)

U may be interested in  dog town and z-boys with Sean penn narrating

Yes. liked the Doc better than the movie. Makes me want to find old Bruce Brown Docs. Endless Summer. On Any Sunday.

• Like 1

not movie, but my wife is watching this show sweet magnolia, and i keep turning my head because the lead actress looks like Best Value Brand amy adams.  not just appearance but her speech and mannerism is almost identical

maxresdefault.jpg

2012+Summer+TCA+Tour+Day+4+YXLculRJoFtx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Dr No.

This is my 5th or whatever attempt at trying to watch the entire Bond series.  It's terribly campy.

From Russia with love ...should've watched it earlier.  Possibly the best of all I've seen so far.

• Like 1

Synechdoche, New York

I didn't know anything about it other than that it was written and directed by Charlie Kaufman and had a good cast starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. That sounded promising. 

Hoffman did a great job, you get lost in his character. But his character isn't sympathetic or compelling in any way. None of the characters in the story are. It's just a slow, tedious self-indulgent slog on Kaufman's part. I'll give him credit, I could never conceive of writing a story like that. He's certainly creative. (Wow! Look at him write!) But the story isn't interesting, there is no great truth revealed, not even a meaningful minor one.

There were some interesting visuals, some heavy-handed symbolism (like the girl who rents a house that is on fire), and gratuitous surrealism. I laughed a few times. I wasn't always sure I was supposed to be laughing at the time. I kept waiting for a payoff that never came. If you haven't seen it, don't waste your time. 

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Well shit, any Bond lover could have told you that.

FRWL and Thunderball are Connery's best IMO.

Hard to believe the first 2 movies were from the same director.  It's like the difference between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope

I'm turning into a big softee. 

Hoosiers today.  It gets me every time, but when Shooter's son told him he loved him.  Goddamnit.

Then I'm cooking dinner, and an Officer and a Gentleman is on. Gere and his "I got nowhere else to go!" scene. Goddamnit.  Then his friends throw him some support. Goddamnit.

• Like 1

The Wrong Missy. Typical Happy Madison production. If you like those actors and most things Sandler, then you’ll like this as well. Even if you’re not a fan, it still has some entertaining moments.

Only 90s mins, and you can either watch intently or have it on while you’re working and still catch what’s going on. Lauren Lapkus does a superb job and pulls off the crazy, cringe-y, try anything, IDGAF, but very lovable gf quite well. Would, and would love to party with that girl. I’d recommend it to the HM fans and anyone who’s run out of stuff to watch and just wants something entertaining and easy to follow.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 6/6/2020 at 8:02 PM, Iceman said:
Uncut Gems.

sucks major ass.  Holy furk.

Yeah, Sandler did a great job, but that character was just so unlikable.

He was like a hip Joey Knish( John Turturro in Rounders)...without the street smarts.

11 minutes ago, Iceman said:

He was like a hip Joey Knish( John Turturro in Rounders)...without the street smarts.

Except there was something calming about Knish when he spoke.  Nothing in that moving was calming.  I won't say it's the worst movie I've ever sat through, but it was easily the least enjoyable experience.  

• Like 1

Uncut Gems was a great movie and the best depiction of what actual, stupid, degenerate gambling looks like. If you’ve never been on the edge of your seat because all your money is riding on the under of a 20 point blow out with 2:00 left in the 4th quarter you’ve never lived. 

• Like 2

Was bored tonight and looked for something on Netflix.  Saw Observe and Report there and thought I'd give it a try.  I honestly have no idea why I watched it all the way through.  There was nothing compelling about it.  Then near the end, there was a scene that really hit me, though not in the way the it was intended.  There is a scene near the end where a person faces off against ~20 cops defiantly.  After a short bit, the person gets subdued and then camera pans out as person gets kicked all over and hit with batons.  There are no repercussion or follow up to this event.  Given current events it really struck me how this movie was an example of Hollywood normalizing the idea of police brutality.

Nighthawks 

Stallone, Billy Dee Williams, Rutgers Hauer, Lindsay Wagner.

Fresh from mounting a devastating bomb attack in London, an international terrorist arrives in New York and remains intent upon wreaking further bloody havoc. His preparation is clinical and thorough but he overlooks one thing - the grit and steely determination of one New York cop.

18 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Uncut Gems was a great movie and the best depiction of what actual, stupid, degenerate gambling looks like. If you’ve never been on the edge of your seat because all your money is riding on the under of a 20 point blow out with 2:00 left in the 4th quarter you’ve never lived. 

Mississippi Grind.

Damned near a B movie, but the depiction of degenerate gambling is spot on.

Insidious. Fucking awful. It was bad enough to get some good laughs out of though. I never watch horror films unless they are rated extremely well - but I was at the mercy of a group decision on this one.

Patrick Wilson is embarrassingly terrible. The characters are only slightly less trite than the dialogue (where basically every line is predictable). The plot is hilariously dumb. 

Horror movies just suck in general. And their audience scores are never reliable because most of the people that watch them are teenagers, morons or both.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Are Rio Bravo and El Dorado the same movie? John Wayne is the lead in both. Howard Hawks directed both. Alcoholic sheriff in his over head in both films.

Special thanks to Robert Mitchum for making men’s suede boots cool. Pulling them off you son of a bitch. Rest In Peace. 

Add Rio Lobo to these two. Essentially the same movie. 

On 6/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, Mach 1 said:

I'm turning into a big softee. 

Hoosiers today.  It gets me every time, but when Shooter's son told him he loved him.  Goddamnit.

Me too.  "Son, kick their butt." always gets me.  And the "I'll make it" scene is one of the best in sports movie history.