The movie you just watched

F250

1917.  Beautifully shot movie and a compelling story line.  Not sure what awards it was up for, but cinematography, costume design, and music score were great.

One thing that I have determined lately is that Game of Thrones used all of the available actors from the UK.  You can't watch a British movie or show without seeing a couple GOT actors.

ETA:  It received numerous accolades, including ten nominations at the 92nd Academy Awards and three wins for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Mixing. It also won Best Motion Picture – Drama and Best Director at the 77th Golden Globe Awards, and won a leading seven awards at the 73rd British Academy Film Awards, including Best Film and Best Direction. It also won the Producers Guild of America Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture, and Mendes won the Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing – Feature Film. It was chosen by both the National Board of Review and the American Film Institute as one of the Top 10 Films of 2019. It was the last film to win the Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing before the award was combined with Best Sound Editing as a single award for Best Sound.

Edited by Jerry Callo

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Hard to tell from that dinky tv

Dewd, that is a 2006 Panasonic plasma that still has beautiful, sharp colors.... better than the whizbang smartass 4k Samsung sumbitch in the living room.

Don’t care if it has a doublewide bezel and weighs 85 pounds. And it is big enough so I can read the closed captions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:40 PM, Continental Op said:

I guess I am alone in thinking Big Sleep > THaHN > Key Largo > Dark Passage as far as Bogart/Bacall collaborations go. 

I celebrated Star Wars Day by watching George Lucas' failed franchise starter Willow.  Swing and a miss.

Yeah, but my god Joanne Whalley was HOT!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

The Hunt for Red October. God damn if that movie doesn't get better every time I watch it.

"Give me a ping Vascili. One ping only, please."

I watched this movie so many times as a kid I broke the VHS tape. Awesome movie. Best Clancy adaptation. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Springfield Rifle with Gary Cooper. In one scene Cooper gives a lookout a mirror and tells him 1 long flash for all clear, several short flashes for trouble. Next scene Cooper sees the short flashes and says "ALL clear, let's go!" Did anybody read the script?

The King of Staten Island

It was actually very good.  

Totally agree with this. It was very very good. I also predict it will not be all that well received (relatively speaking) as it is more story driven and less “here’s a funny rewatchable scene” than other Judd Apatow movies. Thought the cast in particular was great...especially Burr, Tomei, Buscemi, and Davidson (yes, Pete Davidson...which I predicted).

On 6/11/2020 at 4:04 AM, Armybrat said:

Dewd, that is a 2006 Panasonic plasma that still has beautiful, sharp colors.... better than the whizbang smartass 4k Samsung sumbitch in the living room.

Don’t care if it has a doublewide bezel and weighs 85 pounds. And it is big enough so I can read the closed captions.

pretty sure we had the same set and in that era the panasonic plasma (P42TX or whatever) kicked all the competitors asses

• Like 1

Detective Story (1951)

detective-story-md-web.jpg

Loved it.  A filmed play, corny, crazily acted.  Only downside was a bit of a melodramatic ending.  Kirk Douglas is the best at making you want to root for him while he's pushing you away.

Joseph Wiseman was fucking awesome in this flick. (The film is great looking - this is a bit of a rough copy...)

• Like 1

Love film noir and TCM but I have a channel on Suddenlink called Movies and they also show a lot of old noir movies but with commercials so I record them so I can zip past them.

Watched one called The Burglar last night starring Dan Duryea (great noir actor) and Jane Mansfield.

The interesting thing about it was the heist involved a rich lady that had to watch a news report every night at the same time featuring the voice of God....John Facenda (NFL Films) playing himself.

spacer.png 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 4:41 AM, Halohal said:

Memento... Some how the movie was brought up in a conversation and had to watch it again. Infancy genius for Christopher Nolan. Will be waiting for his new release... Tenet.

Great film. In a limited edition DVD set, Nolan provided the original reverse chronological order and a version of the film in chronological order. It was a solid film in chronological order as well. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m watching Bachelor Party right now. Tom Hank’s old lady is a head turner, especially for a redhead. I see that she did not age well.

Yes. There was a brief moment in time where Tawny Kitaen was the hottest woman on the planet. I was there.. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mach 1 said:

Mad Max Fury Road

The movie is absolutely insane.  And I loved every fucking minute of it.

They hit a home run in building, and improving, on the insanity that was 1980's Road Warrior. 

the quintessential "needs to be seen in a movie theater" movie

• Like 1

Man of the West (1958).

Anthony Mann's masterpiece.  I enjoyed it, but I still scratch  my head a bit in regard to Gary Cooper.  Will have to revisit after I see a couple of other Mann flicks which are in the queue.  Hey, that's Jack Lord!  Lee J. Cobb is always fun, but I thought he wasn't given enough dialogue (other than the yelling). Julie London had something going on.

best-film-posters-man-of-the-west-1958-g

91nDdoFrbGL._SL1500_.jpg

3 hours ago, Woland said:

Persona. I’ll mull on it for a few days before watching it again.

I've always thought the stills of Persona were much easier to take than the actual movie, which I barely made through, and I think cheated a bit.

(This whole coronavirus thing has made me want to watch Seventh Seal again.  I remember thinking it was pretty cool 35 years ago....)

DoD5SlisIFjKyi0zucupnwj2B3ADGy_large.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Love film noir and TCM but I have a channel on Suddenlink called Movies and they also show a lot of old noir movies but with commercials

Movies! is a great channel. We lost it in the DFW area temporarily while Channel 27's tower is being worked on. Think it's supposed to be back next month.

Ad Astra -

I think it's better on the small screen. There is a lot packed into the monologues. Taking in all the visuals on the big screen was more difficult - as I recall now. It's a solid film by a good director. His first film was Little Odessa with Tim Roth. He has been blessed with skilled actors. 

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Ad Astra -

I think it's better on the small screen. There is a lot packed into the monologues. Taking in all the visuals on the big screen was more difficult - as I recall now. It's a solid film by a good director. His first film was Little Odessa with Tim Roth. He has been blessed with skilled actors. 

I struggled with this in the theater. Some great visuals but I had too many problems with the story. Too easy to poke holes in it. I never understand that these extremely big budget films don't have someone during each phase that can tell the director that something doesn't make sense.

Also if you introduce Moon pirates, you gotta spend more time on them. If you don't want to do that, leave them out.

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Ad Astra -

Little Odessa is a severely underrated film. Tim Roth is good in everything. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I struggled with this in the theater. Some great visuals but I had too many problems with the story. Too easy to poke holes in it. I never understand that these extremely big budget films don't have someone during each phase that can tell the director that something doesn't make sense.

Also if you introduce Moon pirates, you gotta spend more time on them. If you don't want to do that, leave them out.

Moon Pirates/Terrorists were used as part of the hero's arc and, yes, that could be a stand-alone story/film. Spoilers in spoiler below.

👕

Spoiler

I see them as part of the reason the father wanted to leave humanity behind and search for intelligent life. McDonald's and terrorists on the moon; animal experimentation in space outside of territorial jurisdiction of those on Earth; and a space command enabling the exploitation of space are all reasons why the father may have chosen to abandon his son in search of his vision of intelligence. His altruism in pursuit of science did not justify his abandonment of his family and the murder of the crew who tried to stop him. The son was able to see the reasons why the dad left. But at the end of the hero's arc, he rejected his father's absurd vision of humanity - preferring the richness of social connectivity to the isolation of space. 

He was a hero on his return because he saved the earth. He rejected the sins of his father.