The movie you just watched

F250

Made the wife watch a few oldies the past week or so.  

All The President's Men - She was into it and not playing on her phone the entire movie.  I was proud and impressed.

Barefoot in the Park - I was thinking of The Out-of-towners when I suggested this one, but I figured what the hell.  I don't think I'd ever actually seen it.  It kind of sucked.  Would not recommend.  

The Odd Couple - Lemmon & Mathau are so great in this.  

I let her pick the late night getting too drunk for something deep movie on Saturday.  She picked St Elmo's Fire and since I hadn't seen it in a long time, I figured what the hell.  What the hell?  That movies sucks donkey balls hard.  It probably hit Stillwater OK when I was about 6 months away from graduating college, so I see why I related to it 35 years ago.  Now, I wanted to punch almost every lead character in the face.   A raging asshole, a man child who is intent on destroying his life and anyone in his life, a coke head who's about a month away from turning tricks to support her habit, and an obsessed stalker who seems a bit unstable.   Fucking hell.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

She picked St Elmo's Fire and since I hadn't seen it in a long time, I figured what the hell.  What the hell?  That movies sucks donkey balls hard.

When you think of rock and roll do you think about Elvis or Chuck Berry? Hell no you think about Rob Lowe on the saxophone 

• Like 4

Watched The Defiant Ones last night on TCM.

Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier from 1958.

Nominated for multiple Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor for both Curtis and Poitier and won for Best B&W Cinematography and Original Script. 

A great cast all of the way around and even has Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer in it.

Terrific movie.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Watched The Defiant Ones last night on TCM.

Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier from 1958.

Nominated for multiple Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor for both Curtis and Poitier and won for Best B&W Cinematography and Original Script. 

A great cast all of the way around and even has Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer in it.

Terrific movie.

That movie is greatness on multiple levels. Curtis is batting above his average, Poitier hitting on all 8, script timing (racial strife, yo) and a powerful message. Bang for your buck, this film is hard to beat for it's era.

If you like this one, check out Lilies of the Field. My personal Poitier favorite.

33 minutes ago, RPM said:

That movie is greatness on multiple levels. Curtis is batting above his average, Poitier hitting on all 8, script timing (racial strife, yo) and a powerful message. Bang for your buck, this film is hard to beat for it's era.

If you like this one, check out Lilies of the Field. My personal Poitier favorite.

I love that movie.

Portier won the Best Actor Oscar for that one. The first African American to do so.

I remember buying that 45 RPM of Amen by The Impressions back in 1964 when it was on the charts.

39 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I love that movie.

Portier won the Best Actor Oscar for that one. The first African American to do so.

I remember buying that 45 RPM of Amen by The Impressions back in 1964 when it was on the charts.

That movie affected me in a way I wasn't expecting it.  That film touched my soul.

In anticipation of Tom Hanks Greyhound, I watched Das Boot Directors Cut last night.  Holy shit, had no idea going in that it was 3.5 hours long.  Don't know how much fluff (French Plantation) was added since I had not watched the movie in many years.  Googling submarine movies, this one was #1 on many lists.

18 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

In anticipation of Tom Hanks Greyhound, I watched Das Boot Directors Cut last night.  Holy shit, had no idea going in that it was 3.5 hours long.  Don't know how much fluff (French Plantation) was added since I had not watched the movie in many years.  Googling submarine movies, this one was #1 on many lists.

3-1/2 half hours and not a single boot, either. What a ripoff.

Saw The Man Who Killed Don Quixote the other night.  It's an odd film and not totally in the same way that most Terry Gilliam films are.  The movie starts a bit rough IMO while setting the background for the main action to come.  Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) looked ridiculous at times, but Jonathan Pryce gave an outstanding performance.  It was slightly better than average - 3 stars I guess.  Watchable, but not something I'd recommend anyone go out of their way for unless they are just in the mood for something a bit different.

I watched Blood of Heroes the other day. (on Tubi) 

It was complete bomb back in '89.  I enjoyed it then, and still do, but can see why it was a bomb.  It has all the trappings of Mad Max, but is basically just a simple little sports movie.  The action is subpar, but the cast is impressive, albeit difficult to spell: Rutger Hauer, Delroy Lindo, Joan Chen, Vincent D'Onofrio. Written and directed by David Peoples, who wrote screenplays for Blade Runner, Ladyhawke, Unforgiven, and 12 Monkeys.  Between the cast and dialogue, the characters are more natural and believable than you get out of a typical 80's post-apocalyptic flick.  Not a bad way to kill a couple of hours on a rainy day. It's basically Bull Durham if Nuke was a hot Asian chick and everyone played in bondage gear. 

spacer.png

On 7/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, wutang75 said:

Watched Zombieland 2 and enjoyed it. More importantly I am officially a huge fan of Zoe Deutch and will watch everything she’s in. Helps that her Mom is Leah Thompson.

Also - the post credits with Bill Murray was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw Zombieland 2 a couple of months ago.  Inspired me to go back and rewatch  Everybody Wants Some to see some more Zoey.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just watched Hamilton. For someone that doesn't listen to hip-hop it was a struggle at first, but I began to get accustomed. I get the hype. This was very, very well written and the performances were spectacular. King George and Jefferson were my favorite supporting characters.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Just watched Hamilton. For someone that doesn't listen to hip-hop it was a struggle at first, but I began to get accustomed. I get the hype. This was very, very well written and the performances were spectacular. King George and Jefferson were my favorite supporting characters.

A childhood spent listening to Jay-Z and Notorious B.I.G.served me well here. 

• Like 1