The movie you just watched

F250

Triple feature over 5 days.

Schindler's List, followed by Inglorious Basterds, and capped off with J. Edgar (with Leo as Hoover).

The transition from Schindler's List to Inglorious Basterds is perfect with the opening Interrogation at the French Farmhouse scene in Inglorious Basterds. The scalping/baseball bat scene was less shocking after SL. And then ending with disturbing story of Hoover and his tentacles makes you realize the depth of evil is boundless.

Time for a little Monty Python I think. 

Edited by washparkhorn

The Taking of Deborah Logan.

A documentary/found footage style (Paranormal Activity) fright flick.  Ostensibly about a lady with Alzheimers.  A little bit iffily acted, but the "cinema verite" style mitigates that.  Got some fun twists in it and a couple of good gore scenes.

It's a cheese ass horror flick, no doubt.  But once that's accepted, a kind of fun watch.

• Like 1

Just popped in to point out that Roland Emmerich is an absolute garbage movie director whose movies are the biggest pieces of shit on the big screen, all of them lame ass campy crap with bad acting.

Just watched fifteen minutes of the remake of Midway before a constant stream of cringeworthy bad dialog, video game graphics, and horrific acting forced us to turn it off. This dipshit also directed 2012, another interesting movie idea ruined by poor directing. He only got away with Independence Day because it was a bit novel at the time and was loaded with A list stars.

Screw that dude.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just popped in to point out that Roland Emmerich is an absolute garbage movie director whose movies are the biggest pieces of shit on the big screen, all of them lame ass campy crap with bad acting.

Just watched fifteen minutes of the remake of Midway before a constant stream of cringeworthy bad dialog, video game graphics, and horrific acting forced us to turn it off. This dipshit also directed 2012, another interesting movie idea ruined by poor directing. He only got away with Independence Day because it was a bit novel at the time and was loaded with A list stars.

Screw that dude.

I have a soft spot for Independence Day. Stargate isn't awful. A lot of Independence Day is actually rehashed from Stargate, though. 

I tried to watch The Patriot the other day. It's basically a shitty rip of Braveheart. I wouldn't fault anyone for enjoying it though.

Past those 3 it's a bunch of dogshit all the way down. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I have a soft spot for Independence Day. Stargate isn't awful. A lot of Independence Day is actually rehashed from Stargate, though. 

I tried to watch The Patriot the other day. It's basically a shitty rip of Braveheart. I wouldn't fault anyone for enjoying it though.

Past those 3 it's a bunch of dogshit all the way down. 

Jaws and ID4 are tied for the best popcorn flics of all time. I'm old enough to have seen the latter in the theater and remember thinking that ID4 felt a lot like Stargate.  It's like how a great deal of Canadian TV that looks like it all comes out of the same studio {Stargate, Mutant X, Sanctuary, Van Helsing}.  

Someone in a Cloak Room this week did not recognize the phrase "3,000 tyrants one mile away."  Like, don't Real Americans need to know certain  things?

33 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

It is not only not the top grossing movie of all time but it is not even in the top 50.

Released on June 11, 1982, by Universal Pictures, E.T. was an immediate blockbuster, surpassing Star Wars to become the highest-grossing film of all time—a record it held for eleven years until Jurassic Park, another Spielberg-directed film, surpassed it in 1993.

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Released on June 11, 1982, by Universal Pictures, E.T. was an immediate blockbuster, surpassing Star Wars to become the highest-grossing film of all time—a record it held for eleven years until Jurassic Park, another Spielberg-directed film, surpassed it in 1993.

Ok but it is now not even in the top 50.

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Screw that dude.

I don't know how anyone could not have a) determined that Midway was going to be laughable and b) once they decided to watch it, enjoy it's laughableness.  (In fairness, I went to walk the dog during the Coral Sea stuff and came back and watched the end.  I thought it was a fine use of wasted time.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Jaws and ID4 are tied for the best popcorn flics of all time. I'm old enough to have seen the latter in the theater and remember thinking that ID4 felt a lot like Stargate.  I

Heh.Old enough to see the "latter" in the theater?  By the time the latter came out, I had more or less sworn off the theater in favor of waiting on netflix.

Saw Jaws at the Colonies North (?) theater in San Antonio - mom dropped me off and gave me some money for popcorn and whathaveyou.

large.jpg?1579297274

Jaws deserves to be the highest grossing picture in American flicks. 

I remember my Dad dropping me off to watch a Disney double feature Herbie Rides Again and The Castaway Cowboy to give him time to bump uglies with a woman that worked in shipping at Texas Instruments. I watched Death Wish and Mr Majestyk instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I remember my Dad dropping me off to watch a Disney double feature Herbie Rides Again and The Castaway Cowboy to give him time to bump uglies with a woman that worked in shipping at Texas Instruments. I watched Death Wish and Mr Majestyk instead.

If you write short stories, this should be a short story. 

I'm picturing your dad as kind of the Robert Loggia dad from An Officer and a Gentlemen.  Except retired and working for Texas Instruments.

ddca93b5d5679a779f887c7c8566890f.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm picturing your dad as kind of the Robert Loggia dad from An Officer and a Gentlemen.  Except retired and working for Texas Instruments.

Close, except he was a truck driver. Cotton Hill was based on him. Or so I suspect.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Ok but it is now not even in the top 50.

Frankly, it’s to believe it was the highest grossing movie of all time.

And I will fully own my sentence was fucked up, I am unsure what the fuck happened.

Edited by Incredulity

DVR'd American Hustle recently just for the hell of it and it was pretty damn good once you get past Christian Bale's insistence on reproducing his character's ridiculous comb over hair, with which he was always messing.  It had a nice Goodfellas vibe without so much blood and brains being splattered everywhere.  Great soundtrack, from Duke Ellington to Steely Dan.  Amy Adams was very good but looked wan and strung out while Jennifer Lawrence was just entering her prime and nailed the ditzy blonde bimbo wife role.  Louis C.K. was beautiful as a put upon mid level FBI agent.  Cons conning the FBI and each other about pumping $$ into Atlantic City and the FBI in the age of cocaine.  

It's worth watching to see Robert De Niro, who absolutely kills his cameo role - fuhgeddaboutit!

Edited by Bama Llama

So once in a while I browse around a bit on the Netflix DVD catalogue and add a bunch of movies to the queue.  My queue is around 40 movies deep more or less most of the time.  This means that when I get a Netflix DVD in the mail, I often don't remember what it's about or why I put it in my queue over a month or two ago.

I recently watched a sci-fi flick called Aniara.  Plot premise is that giant space ship supposed to transport people from a dying Earth to a new colony on Mars has a problem and goes off course.   It's the kind of sci-fi premise that I generally enjoy.  So many possibilities to explore with the story.

Well, this film is really difficult to summarize.  First of all, it is a German film with English subtitles.  It definitely was not a Hollywood production.  That's not to slight the production values - that's to say it didn't follow any of the typical Hollywood formulas.

There was a machine on the spaceship that could read minds and project dreamscape realities into the mind (think Star Trek holodeck) and I thought that was going to lead the plot in certain directions, but it didn't.  There were other times in the movie when I thought that I had figured out the rest of the story.  i was wrong almost every time.  I did guess one plot element correct.

The movie starts a bit slow, so might be just the thing if you are battling insomnia.  Then there is the huge and surreal sex orgy party with lots of naked people (definitely not family friendly for children).  Then the plot starts to develop a bit more.  The ending was not Hollywood, but I felt was very satisfying reward for staying awake through the slow beginning.  That's the best I can do without giving too much away that would ruin the ending should you decide to give it a go.

Just watched Lucy in the Sky - Natalie Portman as a Texan bred astronaut who preferred space to Earth.

Very little space, but what there is beautiful. Hamm was the wrong actor for the love interest. Cheeseball in this one. He was much better in Clint Eastwood's "Richard Jewell." But he is only part of the story.

Overall it's good and worth a watch. It is surreal in spots.  Ellen Burnstyn as her West Texas Mom provided the backbone for the character. Natalie is a talented actor.

11 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Watching True Grit (original) for the nth time on the "GRIT" channel.  They censored the word "China-Man" and something else in the bed conversation.  Not very gritty imo.

To be fair, neither John Wayne or Henry Hathaway have raised any objections.

13 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Watching True Grit (original) for the nth time on the "GRIT" channel.  They censored the word "China-Man" and something else in the bed conversation.  Not very gritty imo.

Gun to my head, this is my favorite Western. John Wayne’s best performance, and Kim Darby is perfect as Mattie. 

Glen Campbell is also great. And it kicked off Robert Duvall’s career as a cowboy/consigliere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, tantric superman said:

Heh.Old enough to see the "latter" in the theater?  By the time the latter came out, I had more or less sworn off the theater in favor of waiting on netflix.

Saw Jaws at the Colonies North (?) theater in San Antonio - mom dropped me off and gave me some money for popcorn and whathaveyou.

large.jpg?1579297274

Smokey and the Bandit deserves to be the highest grossing picture in American flicks. 

fify

Oh, by the way, Honeyland (2019).  Saw it a week or so ago.  Can't really recommend, but it's a pretty powerfully depressing flick. Really a simple tale about how we fuck up humans can't handle the most obvious and beneficial stewardship of the planet.  Heartbreaking in a "what's the fucking point" kind of way. 

Honeyland_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

22 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just watched Harriet.  Thought it was really good.  It should be required viewing for high school kids in this country so they can get a realistic view of slavery and and also to learn about one of the strongest people this country has ever seen.  

Lolwut? That flick was total dogshit and completely inaccurate. 

So she had magical powers or some shit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/culture/2019/10/harriet-movie-historical-accuracy-fact-fiction.amp

On 7/18/2020 at 9:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Big Chill. Imagine the St Elmos Fire crew 15 years later with real writers and a director. 

Loved that movie so much in college and decided after my last HS zoom chat that I needed to watch it again to see if it meant more.  

Tonight, watched Moana.  Hate on me if you want, but holy shit, that was great. Disney fucked themselves out of an Oscar by releasing that and Zootopia in the same year. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Loved that movie so much in college and decided after my last HS zoom chat that I needed to watch it again to see if it meant more.  

Tonight, watched Moana.  Hate on me if you want, but holy shit, that was great. Disney fucked themselves out of an Oscar by releasing that and Zootopia in the same year. 

Moana is terrific. Zootopia is not.