The movie you just watched

F250

Miracle - story of USA's Olympic hockey team (comprised of amateur college players) beating Russia in the 1980 winter Olympics.

I was 12 years old when this winter Olympics played out.  I remember watching the USA-Russia hockey game live on TV.  I didn't know shit about hockey, but that didn't matter.  The game was amazing.

Somehow, the topic came up in conversation and my youngest son didn't know the story/history, so I found the movie on Netflix and watched it again with him.  Kurt Russell did a good job in the lead role.  The movie did a good job of mixing in enough historical/political references without dwelling on it to much to provide context for the game.  My son enjoyed the movie and didn't get the typical ADHD red ass to play with his phone or whatever - the movie held his attention.  I nearly teared up a few times at the end of the movie as it evoked my childhood memories of the event.  Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I enjoyed it.  I was like 8 when this happened, so I don't remember it . 

I remember it, but it was many, many beers ago so details are shall we say... fuzzy. The media was pretty quick to turn on him. I do remember clearly when this film was released there was huge blowback on Eastwood for the portrayals of the AJC reporter and the FBI. He was blamed for trying to make a political statement and character assassination of the reporter. She died in 2001 and was unable to defend herself to the portrayal of screwing people for stories, which is a huge professional ethics violation. The FBI Agent is an imaginary character, so they are accusing her of sleeping with an imaginary guy? This movie does to her what they say she did to Jewell. Makes shit up.

It was a flop that didn't cover the cost of production. Take everything as mostly fiction based on an actual event.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, mr. sunshine said:

The Favourite. Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz competing to see who could eat out Queen Anne’s putrid, festering box out for supremacy. Yet it somehow works 

I recommend checking out the rest of the Yorgos Lanthimos catalog if "Yet it somehow works" is a draw for you.  

I don’t get what Once We Were Brothers is trying to say. Robbie Robertson is a genius, Levon is their brother, but pretty much a dick? It does a good job of telling Robbie’s origin story and how The Band started, but they kicked it into warp speed after Big Pink. Robbie moves to Malibu, Bob Dylan plays bass, clips from The Last Waltz, doc over. 

To the victor goes the spoils, but I’d like to hear Levon’s side of things. Robbie dominates every conversation. 

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Richard Jewell.

I'm glad you guys downplayed it -- I wasn't expecting much, but I enjoyed it.

The "getting a cookie" scene hit close to home.

Really good movie. Downplayed because of the FBI/current politics involved. The Feds railroaded Jewell and destroyed his life. Kathy Bates is awesome, Rockwell just keeps being great, and Hauser kills it. 

The Informer (1935)

The Informer (1935) - Rotten Tomatoes

Important early/mid Ford. I've never been a big fan of Victor McLaglen -- I prefer a more affable Irish drunk -- and this movie tended to be a bit loud, but you do see, especially in some of the group scenes (the trial, for instance) Ford's real strengths.  The extra in the disc included a discussion of how important the film was from a camera standpoint -- I didn't quite grasp that while I was watching.

A few years later, in Stagecoach, you see how Ford gets the chemistry of his group down perfectly.

(Plus, man, Ford did a lot of pictures.  I think I've seen a bunch but I have a whole lot more to go....)    

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Aliens. The action and cgi practical effects hold up today. Cameron's universe is very well laid out. Paxton's role as comic relief in a gritty, serious movie is unwanted and distracting.

Yeah it's still good. It doesn't hold up as well as Alien which imo looks better than any sci fi from before 1980 and I wouldn't say it's close. But it's a solid action flick and fleshes out Sigourneys character a bit more.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Well, I thought Dogtooth was unwatchable, and may or may not go back to it.

Lobster was watchable. 

And then there is The Killing of a Sacred Deer.  Not a good suggestion for family night. 

Saw Greta Gerwig's Little Women for family night.  This is the first Little Women version that I watched all the way through.  Best parts of the evening were exclamations of hey, it's the guy from Matewan.  He's been in a thousand things since Matewan, but he'll always be the from Matewan.  Aand then  someone interjected Better Call Saul when the father showed up.  It was entertaining fare--Saorise Ronan (sp) is always good in the movies I've seen, albeit that's Gerwig's prior movie and was it, Brooklyn.  

Bullitt - Steve McQueen is Mr. Cool in this pic.  Amazed that Peter Yates is the director. Better chase:  Mustang v. Charger or ten speed v. Cinzano Semi?  Lovely shots of SF and a few nice McQueen moments, but I prefer other McQueen movies like The Getaway and his ensemble movies.    

• Like 1

Yeah it's still good. It doesn't hold up as well as Alien which imo looks better than any sci fi from before 1980 and I wouldn't say it's close. But it's a solid action flick and fleshes out Sigourneys character a bit more.

Watch the directors cut. It really gives Ripley the motivation for saving Newt.

Spoiler...her daughter died in the 50 years she was adrift in space.

A random bit of trivia is that they only had the budget to build two aliens so you never actually see more than two at once.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:21 PM, dogbreath said:

Bullitt - Steve McQueen is Mr. Cool in this pic.

Between TCM and Starz in the last week I’ve rewatched Bullitt, the Thomas Crown Affair, the Great Escape, Papillon, the Getaway and Tom Horn.  There used to be a coolest MFer thread either here or on the shag and I went with Otis Redding but I can see plugging McQueen in the #1 spot, despite being portrayed as a wuss in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

Between TCM and Starz in the last week I’ve rewatched Bullitt, the Thomas Crown Affair, the Great Escape, Papillon, the Getaway and Tom Horn.  There used to be a coolest MFer thread either here or on the shag and I went with Otis Redding but I can see plugging McQueen in the #1 spot, despite being portrayed as a wuss in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

I didn’t think they portrayed him as a wuss.... loved that scene