The movie you just watched

F250

Making my way through Korean cinema, my 4 favorites.

The Man From Nowhere - Just saw this last night and loved it. Could not recommend this more if you like action thrillers.
I Saw the Devil - A lot of people prefer this to TMFN but I think I liked TMFN more. Both are great, this one is more horror and has some crazy shit to sit through.
The Wailing - One of the best horror movies I’ve see, period.
Train to Busan - Great action horror, recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:56 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I’m binging the Jurassic Park franchise. I’m through all except the latest one. So far I rank them thusly:

Jurassic Park

Jurassic World

JP 3

JP 2

pretty sure there were no sequels to jurassic park. it was an absolutely spectacular movie that wrapped up nicely and neatly with a serene helicopter ride away from the island. and that was it.  end of story. 

On 11/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, wutang75 said:

Making my way through Korean cinema, my 4 favorites.

The Man From Nowhere - Just saw this last night and loved it. Could not recommend this more if you like action thrillers.
I Saw the Devil - A lot of people prefer this to TMFN but I think I liked TMFN more. Both are great, this one is more horror and has some crazy shit to sit through.
The Wailing - One of the best horror movies I’ve see, period.
Train to Busan - Great action horror, recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

funny.  I posted about all of these in the korean movies thread.  literally the only four I watched.  loved them all.  I Saw the Devil was some unbelievable shit.  

12 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

The first Joe Dirt had a pretty decent soundtrack.

Both are good. My tastes lean towards Dazed and Confused.

Dazed and Confused:
01. “Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo” – Rick Derringer
02. “Slow Ride” – Foghat
03. “School’s Out” – Alice Cooper
04. “Jim Dandy” – Black Oak Arkansas
05. “Tush” – ZZ Top
06. “Love Hurts” – Nazareth
07. “Stranglehold” – Ted Nugent
08. “Cherry Bomb” – The Runaways
09. “Fox on the Run” – Sweet
10. “Low Rider” – War
11. “Tuesday’s Gone” – Lynyrd Skynyrd
12. “Highway Star” – Deep Purple
13. “Rock and Roll All Nite” – KISS
14. “Paranoid” – Black Sabbath

Even More Dazed and Confused Tracklist:

01. “Free Ride” – Edgar Winter Group
02. “No More Mr. Nice Guy” – Alice Cooper
03. “Livin’ in the USA” – The Steve Miller Band
04. “Never Been Any Reason” – Head East
05. “Why Can’t We Be Friends?” – War
06. “Summer Breeze” – Seals and Crofts
07. “Right Place, Wrong Time” – Dr. John
08. “Balinese” – ZZ Top
09. “Lord Have Mercy On My Soul” – Black Oak Arkansas
10. “I Just Want to Make Love to You” – Foghat
11. “Show Me the Way” – Peter Frampton
12. “Do You Feel Like We Do” – Peter Frampton

Joe Dirt:

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd 
Ramblin' Gamblin' Man - Bob Seger 
I Was Made for Dancin' - Leif Garrett 
Listen to the Music - The Doobie Brothers 
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive 
When I'm with You - Sheriff 
Think I'm in Love -  Eddie Money 
Pick Me Up When I Fall - (I don't know if this one is accurate) Waddy Wachtel 

Atomic Dog - George Clinton 
China Grove - The Doobie Brothers 
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh 
Funk #49 - James Gang 
That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd 
Shambala - Three Dog Night 
I Just Want to Make Love to You - Foghat 
My Maria - B.W. Stevenson 

Hold on Loosely -  38 Special 
Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band 
Hold Your Head Up - Aster Argent 
Who Do You Love - George Thorogood & The Destroyers 
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood & The Destroyers 
Roller - April Wine 
Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy 
Can I Get a Witness - Marvin Gaye 
Italian Gangsters - Waddy Wachtel

Burnin' for You - Blue Öyster Cult (as Blue Oyster Cult) 
Walk on Water - Eddie Money 
If You Want My Love  - Cheap Trick 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Made in 1943 (in color).  I must have read good things about it months ago when I put it on my Netflix disc queue.  When I started watching, I had a hell of a time figuring out what was going on .  The dialog happened in turbo speed.  I almost turned it off because WTF is happening?  But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did.  The movie slowed down a bit and everything started to make sense.  The movie has some very rewarding/satisfying moments throughout.  The ending was sweet as well.  They don't make movies like this any more.

The movie tells the tale of a British soldier through life's travails and numerous wars.  It's not a war movie though.  No combat footage.  It's more about the human experience (growing old, love, friendships, career, etc.).

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Made in 1943 (in color).  I must have read good things about it months ago when I put it on my Netflix disc queue.  When I started watching, I had a hell of a time figuring out what was going on .  The dialog happened in turbo speed.  I almost turned it off because WTF is happening?  But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did.  The movie slowed down a bit and everything started to make sense.  The movie has some very rewarding/satisfying moments throughout.  The ending was sweet as well.  They don't make movies like this any more.

The movie tells the tale of a British soldier through life's travails and numerous wars.  It's not a war movie though.  No combat footage.  It's more about the human experience (growing old, love, friendships, career, etc.).

I haven't seen every one of these but Powell and Pressburger were pretty damn good during the 40s.  The flicks after Blimp were pretty low key and then Black Narcissus and Red Shoes are two of the prettiest big technicolorish movies ever made.

Crimson Tide.  I thought for a long time this was just another forgettable sub movie, and I was wrong.  The nuances of Hackman v Washington are very deep.  Neither guy was right and neither guy was wrong.  But outside of that, Washington wasn't a very good XO.  Didn't "mold" himself to his captain.  If they never got that order to fire, they still woulda conflicted.

Fort Apache

There was nothing interesting on so I dove into the dvr and way down deep was Fort Apache. No doubt why I had it on keep. This is one of those very few perfect films. Everyone gives stellar performances, including the location. BTW, Shirley Temple was 17 and her new husband John Agar (in his debut) was 24.

8326891.gif

Edited by RPM

15 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Shanghai Express (1932)   This really was a pretty movie - gorgeous lighting and cool tracking shots.  Simple plot but it was very captivating and Marlene Dietrich was throwing down a vibe.  I need to watch some other Josef von Sternberg flicks.

EF0KtRwUUAAcvzc?format=jpg&name=900x900

That was a fantastic movie.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Fort Apache

There was nothing interesting on so I dove into the dvr and way down deep was Fort Apache. No doubt why I had it on keep. This is one of those very few perfect films. Everyone gives stellar performances, including the location. BTW, Shirley Temple was 17 and her new husband John Agar (in his debut) was 24.

8326891.gif

Since we've taken a John Agar detour, I just wanted to clarify he was a real piece of shit. Rode her skirt into prime acting roles, beat the fuck out of her when he was drunk and cheated on her. He was quickly relegated to Poverty Row films.

Kes (1969)

Ever since I saw "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" I wanted to see some more Ken Loach, and I think I finally got around to seeing this.  This reminded me of an after school special made by really moody people.  The flick starts out with some sweet little music and you say to yourself - Furk, this is not going to turnout well.  It's like a Hallmark Movie's evil twin.   "Kitchen sink realism."

IdealFamiliarHellbender-max-1mb.gif

But it really works, even though you can't understand a word these South Yorkshire blokes say.  The school scenes are fantastic and over the top.  

51Mi0crIkYL._SX425_.jpg 

The Velvet Vampire.  A hippie couple meets a pretty lady at an art gallery and agree to go to her desert estate for the weekend within five minutes of meeting her.   She watches them bang through a one way mirror while holding a skull and vampire hijinks ensure.  Not good, even on the "Roger Corman produced this" scale but there's lots of boobs.  

On 2/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, Continental Op said:

If you're blowing through the early Hitchcock stuff on Criterion, go with 39 Steps next if you haven't seen it.

The 39 Steps - 1935 

2jsGvFmN8GvcK82SeP32fOu0YpUx1i_large.jpg

Life would be so great if everyone just agreed to do everything half-assed.  "I'll handcuff you two together and then I'll walk away.  Don't scootch out of the car and runaway, because then I won't be able to find you."

Hitchcock is funny as hell, and this one was funny as hell.  I've still yet to fall head over heals for a Htichcock flick.  I think Shadow of a Doubt gave me the biggest smiles so far. 

Just watched "Easy Living" starring Victor Mature released in 1949.  It also stars Lizabeth Scott and Lucille Ball. In this drama Mature is a football star that is trying to hang on despite having a heart condition.  His wife is constantly nagging him.  She likes the fame and fortune but does not like the potential of life without all that comes with the glory.  Lucille Ball is the team secretary that has a crush on him.  It shows old football which is always a bonus for me.

The scene that kills me is towards the end of the movie he slaps his wife pretty hard.  He tells her that she deserved it and she acknowledges that she does as well.  Of course they embrace and live happily ever after.

First Cow

A refreshing, very well done period piece set in Oregon in the nineteenth century.  Sedately paced and an exquisite job of creating atmosphere with a cast of mostly unknowns.  Lots of candlelit interiors and gurgling river scenes.  An unlikely pair of characters drives the plot.  Strongly recommend.

image.jpeg.ac56d2892c942f51fbdb1bef70a51fa9.jpeg

On 11/4/2020 at 1:36 AM, futureman said:

funny.  I posted about all of these in the korean movies thread.  literally the only four I watched.  loved them all.  I Saw the Devil was some unbelievable shit.  

Love S Korean movies. I'll have to find and bump that thread 

I’m sure in this many pages it’s been mentioned already, so FUIAP but....

”Tread” about a small town outsider who had a grudge against the longtime power base in his town and exacted his pound of flesh in dramatic fashion.

[SPOILER BELOW]

I thought the documentary maker did a great job of guiding down the path of “Oh, this is a solid dude who got fucked over” in the beginning, but then “Oh, this dude is batshit paranoid crazy” toward the end

Tigers Are Not Afraid- Really interesting movie that borrows heavily (probably too much) from my favorite movie, Pan's Labyrinth. If it were a little more polished and if it throttled down a tad on a certain aspect, it'd be a 10. I think it's only streamable on the Shudder channel. Short runtime at around 83 minutes. 8.5/10.

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

The saddest movie ever made.  Quality but Jesus it was depressing.  Old couple loses house and none of the grown kids want to take them.

"Why don't you watch happier movies?", asks my wife.  "Why don't you watch one of my Hallmark Christmas movies?"

We both smile fake Hallmark smiles back at each other.

4002ea8c-74f4-41e0-a69d-708d72015db3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1