The movie you just watched

F250

Siege of Jadotville on Netflix. Great story about Irish UN troops in the Congo in 1963 holding out against a large army of mercenaries. The heroism was downplayed for political reasons.

Very, very solid movie. 

I also sped through The Last Jedi which is an unwatchable piece of shit where every line of serious dialogue is presented like new bits of profound wisdom from GOD HIMSELF. Overdone music. I've never been a big fan of the series, but had this movie been presented as a stand alone without a built in audience, it would have tanked. I took 30 minutes to watch the whole movie. It's Walking Dead bad.

• Like 2

Attended a marathon of summer camp-themed horror movies at Alamo yesterday:

Sleepaway Camp 2 - The original is a classic.  This one is not. 

Madman - Thoroughly adequate. 

Twisted Nightmare - Convoluted nonsense

Gimmie an F - Not a horror movie but captures pretty much every other random 80s bit into one movie - sports movie, camp movie, underdog team making good movie, ribald sex comedy.  Tough to sit through.  

The Burning - An underappreciated classic. 

40 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Watching Jurassic Park right now and the first scene with Newman is in San Jose, Costa Rica. They’re on the beach. If I can’t trust you to get your geography right, how can I trust your dinosaur science?!?!

nobodycares.gif

But yeah, Wong fucked up by inserting amphibian DNA to bridge gaps, which allowed for mutations. Thus, male and baby dinos. Life finds a way.

The Snowman.

felt like I was taking crazy pills because there were numerous jumps in the story that made it very odd and disjointed.

then I read a review on the web and they said the director “ran out of time” and couldn’t film the whole screenplay.  Makes sense.  Waste of a good cast.

• Like 1

Couple more notes from Jurassic Park...

1. Only Goldblum could pull of a leather coat in the tropics.

2. I still want to murder the kids.

3. The first time we see dinosaurs, the effects are much worse than the rest of the movie. 

4. Did this movie start the mumbling phenomenon? Holy fuck, I had the volume way up and heard about half the dialog.

Equalizer 2.  Was hoping for a Man on Fire type Denzel, but didn't make that happen.  Played a BAMF but the story was uneven and dragged in several places.  Will be worth a view on Netflix or Cable shortly.

Jeremiah Johnson.  Sheer greatness.  Although I am not as old as Armybrat, I saw this movie in the theater.  I have seen it probably 50 more times since then.  And I have it on blueray.  And I don't care -- I will watch it if/when it anytime it comes on TV.

"You've come far, pilgrim."

"Feels like far."

"Were it worth the trouble?"

"Hah?  What trouble?"

Last King of Scotland.

Dude slayed everything.  Amin towards his adversaries and the Doc towards all pussy.

Still love Amin at the end of the Mercedes scene,  zero regard for Doc's life, just wants to address his own paranoid concerns.

Watched Isle of Dogs. Really dug it, but I’m a pretty big Wes fan. I love the little bit parts that he adds. Tulsa Swinton as the Oracle was great.

After that I couldn’t resist and had to rewatch Grand Budapest Hotel. Ralph Fiennes is fabulous in that role. Stern, unapologetic, but genuinely cares for his charges. Great character.

16 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The Snowman.

felt like I was taking crazy pills because there were numerous jumps in the story that made it very odd and disjointed.

then I read a review on the web and they said the director “ran out of time” and couldn’t film the whole screenplay.  Makes sense.  Waste of a good cast.

Dude, I watched this on Saturday with the gf and can't totally figure out what we watched. I wasn't expecting it to be great but it was the HBO Saturday Night Premiere so I thought it would be worth my time.

It felt like a bunch of scenes just mashed together. Val Kilmer is in it but they dub over his voice and the editing is so bad it's laughable. Chloe Sevigny was in it but I'm not totally sure why. Same with JK Simmons. There's some off the wall scenes too. Fassbender says he's going to investigate this cabin. The next scene is him standing on the roof of the cabin. Why would that be the first thing you do? Why wouldn't you go inside first? Here's the dialogue over a key piece of evidence:

• "Can I keep this?"
  • "No."
  • "Can I keep this?"
  • "Sure."

His partner basically just smiles and makes 'fuck me' eyes to him and everyone else and seems to be her sole purpose. There are actual snowmen in this movie too. It was just so weird. 

On 7/20/2018 at 9:57 PM, Mo Horn said:

Blade Runner 2049. Bizarre to say the least. Probably didn't help that i had several drinks and had a good buzz on. 

I've never seen the original Blade Runner, and almost stated 2049 the other night. Do I need to see the original to appreciate this one? 

1 minute ago, lateshow said:

I've never seen the original Blade Runner, and almost stated 2049 the other night. Do I need to see the original to appreciate this one? 

I didn't see the original either. It would probably help, but not vital. 

2 hours ago, lateshow said:

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I didn't see the original either. It would probably help, but not vital. 

The first movie leads into the second movie, so you should watch the original. Rutger Hauer steals the movie as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say it's also critical to watch the original to understand just how boring and shallow the second movie is. Ridley Scott is a genius for creating visual style, but he's lost without a really good script.

On July 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM, CooterBrown said:

Watching Jurassic Park right now and the first scene with Newman is in San Jose, Costa Rica. They’re on the beach. If I can’t trust you to get your geography right, how can I trust your dinosaur science?!?!

You can't. It's a stupid movie. 

The first movie leads into the second movie, so you should watch the original. Rutger Hauer steals the movie as far as I'm concerned.
I'd say it's also critical to watch the original to understand just how boring and shallow the second movie is. Ridley Scott is a genius for creating visual style, but he's lost without a really good script.

I agree with watching the original first. It’s important to the story and it’s a classic.

Regarding your second statement I disagree with you. In fact I couldn’t disagree with you more. In fact I disagree with you SO much that I’m going to write a book about it and mail you a copy signed, “I really really disagree with you. -Buzzrock”
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2018 at 8:24 PM, RomaVicta said:

Siege of Jadotville on Netflix. Great story about Irish UN troops in the Congo in 1963 holding out against a large army of mercenaries. The heroism was downplayed for political reasons.

Very, very solid movie. 

I also sped through The Last Jedi which is an unwatchable piece of shit where every line of serious dialogue is presented like new bits of profound wisdom from GOD HIMSELF. Overdone music. I've never been a big fan of the series, but had this movie been presented as a stand alone without a built in audience, it would have tanked. I took 30 minutes to watch the whole movie. It's Walking Dead bad.

Thanks for the rec for Siege of Jadotville. Watched it last night and that was a great movie.

Watched Beirut last night. Set during the 1982 Lebanese civil war. Jon Hamm plays an alcoholic former U.S. diplomat. Didn't really know anything about it going in but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended if you like espionage thrillers. And I thought Hamm was excellent in it. Probably his best film role I've seen.

Edited by Art Vandelay

On 7/16/2018 at 1:48 PM, Texas_Rocks said:

Master plan for a higher man
Do it all wrong
Don’t fuck it up to make it alll right
Drink my cup
Shlong as long as the Nile’s bong
Hit it bitch
I’m 95 strong, I’m the raw dog
Rawest of raw
Four screwdrivers!

Street’s character was pretty hilarious.

Everybody-Wants-Some-Jay-everybody-wants

When you realize this is James Street's son.

• Like 1

Trying to think this through.  In all my favorite PTAs, I just love one or more of the characters.  He set's up this often cold, unfeeling backups but you are still attracted (love/hate) to one character or another.  I'm thinking the problem I had with this is that I simply didn't love any of the characters. 

Sheer craftsmanship in filmmaking and acting but I just wasn't emotionally pulled in.

Sorry to Bother You.  What a weird ass and ambitious film. I can see where some likened it as a companion to Idiocracy, but where Idiocracy was logical in its vacuity, this movie was more traditional, villainous, problematic and at times reflective.  Certainly not a film with a lcd.