The movie you just watched

F250

Doing the online Sundance thing this year.  Movie #1 - Censor.  

[quote]

Film censor Enid takes pride in her meticulous work, guarding unsuspecting audiences from the deleterious effects of watching the gore-filled decapitations and eye gougings she pores over. Her sense of duty to protect is amplified by guilt over her inability to recall details of the long-ago disappearance of her sister, recently declared dead in absentia. When Enid is assigned to review a disturbing film from the archive that echoes her hazy childhood memories, she begins to unravel how this eerie work might be tied to her past.

Censor is a faithful, creative ode to 1980s aesthetics and a twisted, bloody love letter to the video nasties of the era. In her assured feature debut, director Prano Bailey-Bond re-creates a moment in which society was on the brink of mass hysteria over the dangers of viewers being seduced by violent images—and then she cleverly immerses us in the haunted Enid’s shifting reality. Actress Niamh Algar stuns as her brittle character grows increasingly possessed by her quest.[/quote]

A for effort but too much energy was put into homage and driving home the point of "Hey, this is Thatcher's England" and it never gets around to actually being scary.  I didn't hate it but I would say don't buy into the hype if whoever winds up distributing this tries to market it as "the next elevated horror classic" or whatever.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Love that they have to TCM steaming on HBO Max, that being said I watched Rebel Without a Cause for the first time.  Holy cow what a shitty movie!  Really bad acting (yea I’m looking at you James Dean), bad character development (the girl falls in love with another guy a hour after her boyfriend dies after just meeting the new kid?), story is just out there for high school kids even for then, ect.   

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Love that they have to TCM steaming on HBO Max, that being said I watched Rebel Without a Cause for the first time.  Holy cow what a shitty movie!  Really bad acting (yea I’m looking at you James Dean), bad character development (the girl falls in love with another guy a hour after her boyfriend dies after just meeting the new kid?), story is just out there for high school kids even for then, ect.   

Wut?

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yeah.....So?  Nicholas Ray directed RWAC, In a Lonely Place, and Johnny Guitar, and all of those are OUT THERE.  Plus, that guy fucked. 

In other words, I agree with what you say but you come to the wrong conclusion.  It's a fucking great mess, plus it has Thurston Howell. 

(I don't think I've seen his other movies, so if anyone has any recs, please provide them.)

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Yeah.....So?  Nicholas Ray directed RWAC, In a Lonely Place, and Johnny Guitar, and all of those are OUT THERE.  Plus, that guy fucked. 

In other words, I agree with what you say but you come to the wrong conclusion.  It's a fucking great mess, plus it has Thurston Howell. 

(I don't think I've seen his other movies, so if anyone has any recs, please provide them.)

On Dangerous Ground.  Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan.  Score by Bernard Hermann. 

And yeah.. In a Lonely Place slams and goes hard in the paint.  Underrated Bogart.

Edited by Continental Op
  • Hook 'Em 2

Virginia City (1940) with Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, and Randolph Scott directed by Michael Curtiz.

A Union spy, a Rebel spy, a saloon singer and an outlaw via for a wagon train of Confederate gold in Nevada.

Humphrey Bogart played the outlaw.  It included Alan Hale and Guinn "Big Boy" Williams as Flynn's sidekicks. Frank McHugh played the nervous insurance salesman.  Ward Bond also had a brief shot as well as a guard watching a gate.

The gun fights crack me up in it as it looks like they are trying to throw the bullets out of guns.  The pistols start out almost vertical and they throw their arms forward to shoot.  Looks funny.

A nice western even with the WTH moments of how do you miss shooting someone that is 5 feet away.

• Hook 'Em 1

How It Ends (2021) - "On the day an asteroid is scheduled to obliterate Earth, freewheeling Liza (Zoe Lister-Jones) scores an invite to one last wild gathering before it all goes down. Making it to the party won’t be easy, though, after her car is unceremoniously stolen, and the clock is ticking on her plan to tie up loose ends with friends and family. With a little help from her whimsical younger self (Cailee Spaeny), Liza embarks on a journey by foot across Los Angeles as she seeks to make peace with her regrets—and find the right company for those last few hours.

Millennial navel gazing.  Not terrible but I would say skip it. 

Mother Schmuckers:  Issachar and Zabulon, two brothers in their twenties, are supremely stupid and never bored, as madness is part of their daily lives. When they lose their mother's beloved dog, they have 24 hours to find it - or she will kick them out.

John Waters has nothing on the dudes who made this.  Shit eating.  Necrophelia.  Animal-related mishaps.  A dance number.  This movie has it all.  I am a changed man. 

Not really a movie, but 90 minutes, so I guess it is.  Watched In and Of Itself on Hulu, Derek De Guardio's one man show.  It's great.  It doesn't matter that the headline tricks at the end are clearly rigged with audience pre-screens and likely ear-pieces.  It still worked for me.  Just a unique show and I love sleight of hand magic anyway.  

Eight for Silver - In the late 1800s, a man arrives in a remote country village to investigate an attack by a wild animal but discovers a much deeper and sinister force that has the manor and its townspeople in its grip.

Nice entry in the "gothic werewolf movie" genre.  Nothing groundbreaking but it hits all the right notes. 

Just watched “The Little Things”. Honestly, not sure how I feel about it. Seemed a bit aimless. Denzel was Denzel, but Leto was amazing. It’s funny to think that moody douche from My So Called Life turned out to be such an amazing actor (like in Dallas Buyer’s Club). But this movie just seemed to fall flat. I kind of of feel like the ambiguous ending has become so cliche in the last 20 years or so. Seems lazy.

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

While on the elliptical, on Netflix. Scandal in Sorrento. This is the one with Sophia 🥰 Loren. There was another, in black & white made a couple years earlier. But this is the one on Netflix now.

You were on the elliptical for 2 hours?

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just watched “The Little Things”. Honestly, not sure how I feel about it. Seemed a bit aimless. Denzel was Denzel, but Leto was amazing. It’s funny to think that moody douche from My So Called Life turned out to be such an amazing actor (like in Dallas Buyer’s Club). But this movie just seemed to fall flat. I kind of of feel like the ambiguous ending has become so cliche in the last 20 years or so. Seems lazy.

Same

Minding the Gap (2019) (documentary)

tumblr_plq36i6czl1qmhhc4o1_400.png

I thought it was pretty manipulative, but I liked it.  The skateboarding scenes really were well done, and you could understand how these kids would have died without skateboarding.  Mostly depressing, but a couple of bright spots, and the non-human character I was worried about for most of the movie ends up okay.

Edited by tantric superman

Prisoners of the Ghostland - In the treacherous frontier city of Samurai Town, a ruthless bank robber (Nicolas Cage) is sprung from jail by wealthy warlord The Governor (Bill Moseley), whose adopted granddaughter Bernice (Sofia Boutella) has gone missing. The Governor offers the prisoner his freedom in exchange for retrieving the runaway. Strapped into a leather suit that will self-destruct within five days, the bandit sets off on a journey to find the young woman—and his own path to redemption.

If you like the arc that Cage's career has taken of late with Mandy and The Color Out of Space then you'll dig this.  Completely batshit nuts.

The Hallelujah Trail-1870s mashup of temperance marchers, Plains Indians, mounted cavalry and militant miners, plus Lee Remick and Pamela Tiffin looking very fine. Great Elmer Bernstein score, epic voiceover intro a la 1950s Disney documentaries, great Monument Valley vista cinematograpy.

Man, I love this film.  Satirizes John Ford westerns without being malicious.   Brian Keith chews up scenery.  Burt Lancaster at his best as the 6th Cavalry Colonel.  Donald Pleasance as "Oracle" needs to be primed with whiskey before he can make a prediction- (swallows a shot) "Ah! There, now I see it!"

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

The Hallelujah Trail-1870s mashup of temperance marchers, Plains Indians, mounted cavalry and militant miners, plus Lee Remick and Pamela Tiffin looking very fine. Great Elmer Bernstein score, epic voiceover intro a la 1950s Disney documentaries, great Monument Valley vista cinematograpy.

Man, I love this film.  Satirizes John Ford westerns without being malicious.   Brian Keith chews up scenery.  Burt Lancaster at his best as the 6th Cavalry Colonel.  Donald Pleasance as "Oracle" needs to be primed with whiskey before he can make a prediction- (swallows a shot) "Ah! There, now I see it!"

Sounds like I need to add this to my “old westerns to watch list”. I have several that I have DVR’d off of TCM.