The movie you just watched

F250

Watched one of the worst movies ever made last night and also another one that I thought was quite good.

The Swarm - 1978 Irwin Allen flop

Movie was terrible but had an incredible cast...

Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, Fred MacMurray, Olivia de Havilland, Michael Caine, Richard Chamberlain, Katherine Ross, Ben Johnson, Jose Ferrer, Slim Pickens.

Came out during the killer bee craze in the late 70's. It was so bad it was fun to watch. It was on TCM last night's Golden Turkey movies.

Actually nominated for one Oscar for costume design.

Then I followed that up with the Sean Penn directed The Pledge with Jack Nicholson. Very intruiging movie that was dark and disturbing but very well done and not the ending I expected. I recommend this one.

I watched The Current War tonight.  Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, Morgan and the battle for supremacy between direct current and alternating current electrical systems.

It was pretty good.  I would have enjoyed more of Tesla's story, but Westinghouse was a really interesting character.

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We watched The Dig on Netflix and thought it was first rate. Great cast and some very nice filmmaking touches. Highly recommended.

Carey Mulligan has totally captured me.

She's great. Drive is one of my all time movies so I've always been a fan but it seems that - as you said - she has captured more and more folks the past few years.

That was also a bit of a breakout role for Oscar Isaac who is now a yuuuge A lister.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, Continental Op said:

Born to Kill (1947) - IMDB Summary - A calculating divorcée risks her chances at wealth and security with a man she doesn't love by getting involved with the hotheaded murderer romancing her foster sister.

I am generally a sucker for stuff like this but I found it incredibly dry.  I feel like we underrate Elisha Cook, Jr.

Watched this one tonight.  Not bad.  Audrey Long is a looker.  Tierney had a rough go at regular life too.  His real-life was probably not too far off of his character in this movie.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:07 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Palmer (Apple TV+) is quite good. This is weird to type Justin Timberlake is surprisingly great.  

I just watched that and it is really good.  Timberlake is really good in it and so is the kid.  Timberlake has some chops and that performance was great, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s nominated in the future.   He’s been good in things before but this was next level showing he can play different characters.

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Possibly Burgess Meredith. He played a similar character, Egan Powell, in In Harm's Way and was very good.

I've always felt that in Harm's Way is underappreciated. It's one of Wayne's better roles. It's also pretty gritty about the characters.

I suppose it's overshadowed by From Here to Eternity (great book, good movie), but it shouldn't be.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

've always felt that in Harm's Way is underappreciated. It's one of Wayne's better roles. It's also pretty gritty about the characters.

I suppose it's overshadowed by From Here to Eternity (great book, good movie), but it shouldn't be.

You're first sentence is fine, bu tmostly for Patricia Neal. From Here to Eternity blows it the fuck out of the Jap patrolled water.

18 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You're first sentence is fine, bu tmostly for Patricia Neal. From Here to Eternity blows it the fuck out of the Jap patrolled water.

From Here to Eternity is better. That is what has made Harm's way underappreciated. It's still a good movie. Also, they're (their :)) possibly different genres. FHTE takes place right up to the war beginning. In Harm's Way picks up right at the beginning and is a war movie.

Still, it's taste. Neal is fabulous. I was grossed out by her when I was a kid. Now I find her captivating.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Quick and The Dead (1995)

Pretty goofy/cheesy - although it's maybe more stylistic in that sense than bad trying to be good - but a decent little flick. Sharon Stone is hot as shit and Hackman is great as always. Some pretty good lines.

"Any problem with that?"

"I was planning on killin you anyway"

On 2/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Gorky Park - early 80's thriller, triple murder in Moscow's Gorky Park 

Based on the fine novel by Martin Cruz Smith, one of those rare films that matches the book.  Recreating the visage of a murder victim starting only with a skull.  William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Brian Dennehy and Joanna Pacula while still nubile, well done and nitty gritty.  Better than 80% of the dreck passing for entertainment today even  considering the COVID interlude.

From the last two months or so 

Long Shot- pretty good rom com. 7/10

Sputnik- subtitled sci-fi/horror. Nothing special. 4/10

Edge of Tomorrow- Fun sci-fi/action. Big fan of goofy action figure Tom Cruise. 7.5/10

A Promising Young Woman- a lot of mixed feelings on this one. Really enjoyed Mulligan. 6.5/10

The Little Things- massive flop in one of my favorite genres with some of my favorite actors. Not a good movie. 4/10

Under the Shadow- middle-eastern movie with a nice 84 minute run time. "During the Iran-Iraq conflict, a Tehran woman caring for her daughter while her husband is at war is gradually convinced evil spirits are at work."  7.5/10

Da Five Bloods- not my cup of tea. 3.5/10

Me Earl and the Dying Girl- really enjoyed this one, cool movie. 9/10

Charade- really entertaining for an older movie. 9/10

The Raid 2- great action movie. The 2.5 hour run time didn't bother me. Was lost at times, but didn't care. The dubbing was annoying. 9/10

Get Duked!- fun dark comedy. 6.5/10

Better Watch Out- critics loved this dark comedy, but I feel like it didn't fit together very well. 4.5/10

Gretel and Hansel- visually great, enjoyed the synth soundtrack. Movie was nonsensical though. 5/10

Chef- enjoyable redemption movie. 6.5/10

Blow the Man Down- not a particularly good seedy underground in a small town movie. 5/10

Filth- James Mcavoy playing a scumbag cop in Scotland. Starts off entertaining (and a little fucked up), but falls apart towards the end. 6.5/10

Shot Caller- entertaining prison game movie that was 30 minutes too long. 6.5/10

Black Bear- psychological mindfuck thriller that doesn't quite nail it, but I thought it was interesting. 6.5/10

Wonder Woman 1984- not only is it bad, it's long as fuck. 2/10

The Love Witch- a very sexual campy horror movie that seems to be a throwback to 70s movies 7.5/10

Possessor- directing debut of Brandon Cronenberg, son of David Cronenberg. A sci-fi assassin movie with some weird shit going on. 7.5/10

Blow Up- this movie didn’t age very well because it’s too meandering and ADD, but was probably really influential and better in its time. 6/10

Wolf of Snow Hollow- the second movie from director/actor Jim Cummings (after Thunder Road, which I thought was good), is a solid dark comedy horror movie. Two doubles in this director's first two movies, he seems promising. 7/10

Bacaurau- not sure how to describe this one, but I thought it was one of the better movies I saw from 2020. Won't be for everybody. 8.5/10

Out of Sight- Good but not great movie, but maybe my expectations were too high after some people recently ranked it as Soderbergh's best movie. The weird frame freezes and J-Lo's poor acting took me out of the movie at times. A little too long at two hours. Clooney was great, and the rest of the cast outside of J-Lo were really good. Worth a watch. 7/10

The Devil all the Time- loaded cast of up and coming actors and has decent ratings from both the critics and audience, but the movie didn't do much for me. Fucked up shit happens to hillbillies out in the sticks... ok. Way too long at two hours and fifteen minutes. 6/10 

The Limey- solid revenge movie that does some creative artsy camera work, editing, and weird short flashbacks and flashforwards, but doesn't feel like it's overdoing it, maybe because the movie is only an hour and a half and is pretty interesting/entertaining. 7/10

Ava- the worst of the female lead spy or assassin movies that have come out over the past decade or so (Haywire, Atomic blonde, Salt, Hanna, Red sparrow, Anna). A waste of some of my favorite actors (Chastain, Malkovich, Farrell). 4/10

Blood and Black Lace- this gorgeous movie has aged really well for film from 1964. Kind of a blend of Agatha Christie, Scream, and Hitchcock. The English dubbing and the ending dragging a little big keeps it from getting top marks, but worth a watch. Less than an hour and a half. Streaming on Prime. 9.5/10