The movie you just watched

F250

I wasn't crazy about Lion -- I thought it dwelled excessively on certain parts of his life.  A better editor could have cut 20 minutes and made it amazing.  Nicole Kidman was great, though, and I almost busted a guy when his brother turned out to be Detectorist Hugh.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, GringoSalado said:

Finally watched The Proposition, Aussie Western. Very old school movie, I liked it.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, Bateshorn said:

The Proposition is probably the best western since The Unforgiven.  Danny Huston is unbelievable.  

Fun Fact: It was nominated for nothing.  Crash won best picture at the 78th Academy Awards. 

It makes me think a lot about how much transformative film making goes unnoticed. 

Watched this a few nights ago because of this thread. Great recommendation. Thought it was a badass movie. Not sure I rank it as high as Bateshorn, but it was damn good and Danny Huston - and really the entire cast - was/were very good. 

Watched Promising Young Woman last night and really enjoyed that as well. Tense, dark and smart, even if entirely implausible. Worth a watch. 

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Room_(2015_film).png

gotdam.  No idea how I missed this the first time.

The further away we get from 2015, the more inexplicable it is that Birdman won Best Picture.  Not Forrest Gump inexplicable, but still...

2015 nominees:  Boyhood>Birdman>Grand Buda Hotel.   These were the only three deserving, and Birdman was pretty great.

2016 nominees, which is where Room was:  Fury Road>Big Short>Spotlight>Revenant were the only four deserving.

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Bad Company (Hugh Jackman) - Pretty good .

Think you probably mean Bad Education -- the movie about the school embezzlement scandal, right?

Speaking of Bad Company, if you like westerns, check out the 1972 film by that name directed by Robert Benton and starring a young Jeff Bridges.  It's a revisionist western and it's really good.  

On 3/25/2021 at 4:10 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Nomadland - loved it and think it's the best I've seen this year. Maybe a toss up with Minari. 

Have heard lots of people complain about the slow pace of the film but I think that captures the monotony of life on the road. Lots of boredom and loneliness. Really well made 

Just saw this. I really, really wanted to love this because I love FMcD and 3 Billboards was one of my favorite movies of the last few years, but the script and story she had to work didn’t do her justice.

I thought the scenery and cinematography was really good and like you, I don’t see how anyone can have qualms with the pacing, as it was fine too, the story to me just lacked gravity. I didn’t sympathize or like any of the elderly nomads, and there were hints that these were not good people with antisocial problems, and it was hard to get onboard an arc that ultimately was, I think, supposed to end with FMcD getting some emotional closure and leave us with a sense of her freedom as one of the “pioneer” spirits. It was depressing in that I felt most of these old geezers had a touch of mental illness which was unintentional and not by direction, and Harley Davidson’s ad campaign and 90’s TV commercials  “Freedom of the Open Road” had more emotion than the back half of this movie.

That said the director did a great job of capturing the gritty and dirty life of being someone too proud or contrarian to take the help of family and have to work at a seasonal Amazon job, oof.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Think you probably mean Bad Education -- the movie about the school embezzlement scandal, right?

Speaking of Bad Company, if you like westerns, check out the 1972 film by that name directed by Robert Benton and starring a young Jeff Bridges.  It's a revisionist western and it's really good.  

Shit, you’re right. Bad Education 

On 3/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, tantric superman said:

Sound of Metal. 

Good little movie.  Some unbelievability, but terrifying in its way when it needed to be. The sound effects were pretty great.   I bought it.

Wanted to see more of the hearing dog, Louie.

Just watched last night. Excellent. Riz was incredible.

Been digging around old WWII films on Amazon. Found a recruiting/propaganda film for the RAF called Journey Together that was a collaboration with the US War Department with Edward G. Robinson as the title lead, but in fact a very young Richard Attenborough is the lead role. They have a ton of old public domain war films.

I haven't necessarily just watched these, but here are ten foreign movies that I liked a lot, if you're looking or something new to watch

Incendies (rent on Prime)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Hulu)
Tell No One (Prime)
The Handmaiden (Hulu)
Burning (Netflix)
The Nightingale (Hulu) the 2018 movie
Tigers are not Afraid (rent on Prime)
Under the Shadow (Netflix)
Bacurau (rent on Prime)
Climax (Prime)

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I haven't necessarily just watched these, but here are ten foreign movies that I liked a lot, if you're looking or something new to watch

Incendies (rent on Prime)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Hulu)
Tell No One (Prime)
The Handmaiden (Hulu)
Burning (Netflix)
The Nightingale (Hulu) the 2018 movie
Tigers are not Afraid (rent on Prime)
Under the Shadow (Netflix)
Bacurau (rent on Prime)
Climax (Prime)

You haven't seen Wadjda?

On 3/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, Scraps said:

Nobody

The title of the movie is the amount of people that need to watch this steaming pile of shit

Based on your review, we went to see The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch instead of Nobody.  I would highly recommend this based on a true story flick about the Cuban missile crisis.  Having done the Duck & Cover drills in the fifth grade and never fully knowing at that time what the purpose was, this backstory hits close to home and is well done.

• Like 1

Based on your review, we went to see The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch instead of Nobody.  I would highly recommend this based on a true story flick about the Cuban missile crisis.  Having done the Duck & Cover drills in the fifth grade and never fully knowing at that time what the purpose was, this backstory hits close to home and is well done.

Lol glad it worked out

On 3/28/2021 at 10:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

This Is The End is terrible. I have no idea how it got it’s Rotten Tomatoes’ high score. Save your money and watch the house party scene on YouTube. Michael Cera going hard. 

I thought it was the only of the Seth Rogan- James Franco joint movies that I actually liked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

confused wait what GIF

Their brand of pot humor just sorta doesn't work for me.  I'm not making a critical evaluation, I just get a low chuckle factor out of it. The over the top nature of This is The End worked where Pineapple Express didn't.  It might be because I find both, but particularly Rogan, to be side characters that don't really shine as leading men. Could be because I really loved Freaks and Geeks and can't see them any other way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (4th or 4th in the series I believe). Watched it with my 10 yr old.

Utter dogshit. Are the others in the series books this bad? Are the books this bad? I vaguely remember reading parts of the first book to her years ago, and it didn't seem too bad.

Alan Rickman as Snape is the only redeeming quality.

edit: Helena Bonham Carter (sp?) was pretty good as well.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
yo mama knows the reason

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (4th or 4th in the series I believe). Watched it with my 10 yr old.

Utter dogshit. Are the others in the series books this bad? Are the books this bad? I vaguely remember reading parts of the first book to her years ago, and it didn't seem too bad.

Alan Rickman as Snape is the only redeeming quality.

edit: Helena Bonham Carter (sp?) was pretty good as well.

The casting for those movies is terrific. Fiennes, Rickman, Bohnam Carter, Maggie Smith, etc. It's the best part of the movies

The first two movies haven't aged well at all, and then Cuaron finally made the movies look decent in movie three

I never read the books, so I can't speak to how they compare, but to me the movie series seems mostly successful starting around book three 

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

The casting for those movies is terrific. Fiennes, Rickman, Bohnam Carter, Maggie Smith, etc. It's the best part of the movies

The first two movies haven't aged well at all, and then Cuaron finally made the movies look decent in movie three

I never read the books, so I can't speak to how they compare, but to me the movie series seems mostly successful starting around book three 

it’s the same with the books.  the first two are children’s books.  Starting with 3 they become much more adult approachable.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, tantric superman said:

2015 nominees:  Boyhood>Birdman>Grand Buda Hotel.   These were the only three deserving, and Birdman was pretty great.

2016 nominees, which is where Room was:  Fury Road>Big Short>Spotlight>Revenant were the only four deserving.

Hell even Whiplash was better than Boyhood and I didn't love Whiplash. At least it went up against American Sniper which saved it from last place. 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hell even Whiplash was better than Boyhood and I didn't love Whiplash.

I've always been particularly surprised by folks who didn't appreciate boyhood.  I'm putting it on age.  Linklater is one year older than me, and I thought boyhood was just amazing in that I related to every character at every age in a way that I was their age at the instant i was viewing the movie.  I thought it was a mean feat and deserving of Best Picture. Maybe you have to be at least as old at Patricia and Ethan to really get it. 

I thought Whiplash was fun.  I saw that it was on Prime or HBO recently, and I fast forwarded to the first time conductor was mean to him, and then the final concert, because the rest was just kind of tedious and surly the second time around. 

• Like 3

On 3/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Into The Wild

Chris McCandless was an odd guy. If he didn’t find the bus, he makes it like a week in the bush, right?

He was a fucking idiot.  He had zero business being out there.  I live about 40ish miles from where the magic bus used to be.  The state removed it recently, but it won't stop other fucking idiots trying to get out to where it used to be...more Darwin Awards will be handed out.  Ma Nature gives zero fucks.

• Hook 'Em 1