The movie you just watched

F250

The Empty Man- an ambitious and non-formulaic atmospheric horror (like Hereditary, The Witch, Kill List, etc) that’s mostly great, and had me thinking about it all day after watching it yesterday morning. Not sure if everything in the movie worked, but I don’t care, I enjoyed it. This movie was surprisingly well shot by a director I’d never heard of. Really long for a horror movie, but since it was mostly good, it didn’t bother me. 8.5/10

• Hook 'Em 3

Promising Young Woman (2020)

la-ca-holiday-sneaks-promising-young-wom

I liked it a good deal but kinda feel like it's been over-hyped.  Might have enjoyed more if it had been a surprise,  for instance like Heathers - didn't know what to expect on that one.

Also, in regard to Mulligan, I may have had the same problem.  I really like her, and I'm thinking this might have worked better with a semi-unknown in the staring roll.   Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it was to pull the thing off.

(Of the best picture nominees Mank>>>Sound of Metal/Trial Chicago/Promising (tie)). 

Bill and Ted Faces the Music (2020).
I saw the critics enjoyed it, and Keanu Reeves has become something of a media darling, and I enjoyed the first Bill & Ted.
This was really, really dumb which was kinda expected, but it wasn't even funny.

Too Pale to Cry was funny.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

On the recommendation of someone upthread, I watched Hunter Hunter last night. 

For the first 1+ hours, there was very little suspense or scary.  Then the last 15 minutes.  HOLY SHIT.

Just watched it based on this rec. What in the actual fuck.

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Hadn’t seen it in many years, but watched “Suicide Kings” last night.  It had been so long I forgot all the plot twists.  So I enjoyed it.

Ahh, yes.  One of the great joys of aging. "Discovering" movies you enjoyed in the past but lost in the fog of passing years, e.g., The Quiller Memorandum, Pepe Le Moko, Cousin Cousine, Sugarland Express, Straw Dogs, M.  Now where's my ginkgo biloba?

• Hook 'Em 1

Rewatching "There Will Be Blood"

I so enjoy the musical score and my rabbit hole led me to Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead. Apparently, he did the non-classical pieces. I only recognize the band name. Guess I need to give him a try. Go Spotify.

It's based on Upton Sinclair's, "Oil". 

Daniel Day Lewis fucks.

Just watched The Mauritanian.  It’s the new Jodie Foster/Benedict Cumberbatch movie that is a true story about a man falsely held at Guantanamo Bay and tortured for years.  Pretty good and powerful movie although the subject matter is just unbelievably sad.  Not trying to Cloak Room this thread but it really touches on some serious subjects about how we handled the aftermath of 9-11 and it sickens me in the same way like when you hear about some person on Death Row for 40 years and then they let them go because they were innocent and should never have been there in the first place.  Still would recommend the movie as its subject matter is something all Americans should be aware of.