The movie you just watched

F250

F-9, the Fast Saga. Worth seeing in XD and a continuation of one of the most successful movie franchises in history.  Especially enjoyable when there are only four people in a 165 seat theatre and no cellphone interruptions.

Best of Enemies (2019) netflix

The_Best_of_Enemies_2019_poster.jpg

Absolutely predictable, and somewhat "after school specially", but the two leads are great.  Rockwell's never going to be better than he was as Guy in Galaxy Quest, but he's never been worse than he was, either.  Never want to miss this guy's flicks.

Edited by tantric superman

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Did you like it?  I only watched it within the last couple of years, it was a movie that held no interest to me until I actually sat down and watched it.  Damn good movie. 

This was my first time seeing it as an adult. I saw it when it was released (I was around 13). I got a lot more out of it this time around. Robin Williams and Matt Damon were great. 

The hubbub was over the books. People went insane for them. So it was a big deal when they got the Hollywood treatment.

I personally like the Fincher version a lot and wish he would’ve had a chance to make the next two films. The Swedish version is very good as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

No Sudden Move last night, new Soderbergh movie. Pretty mixed, great cast and some good parts but it was pretty nonsensical. Also he did his fisheye lens thing to the point where it was distracting. 

Best part was:

Spoiler

The surprise Matt Damon cameo. Came in for two scenes throwing heat  

C+

On 7/3/2021 at 11:57 AM, tantric superman said:

Best of Enemies (2019) netflix

The_Best_of_Enemies_2019_poster.jpg

Absolutely predictable, and somewhat "after school specially", but the two leads are great.  Rockwell's never going to be better than he was as Guy in Galaxy Quest, but he's never been worse than he was, either.  Never want to miss this guy's flicks.

Yeah Rockwell is so fucking consistent. Although I didn't love Moon. But not because of him or anything. 

On 6/20/2021 at 6:19 PM, Brothahorn said:

Hitman Wife’s Bodyguard is why you don’t let your wife and daughter pick movies. Selma can’t act and her enhancements were not enough.

I mean there are a lot of things wrong with the movie for sure, but her portrayal of a sexy and crazy Latina isn’t one of them.  That’s one roll she can handle.  

Trigger Point - Barry Pepper is a former wet operator for the CIA and shit from the past goes sideways. I was honestly interested in the story until the end. They just ran out of script. Also miraculously revived a presumed point blank execution victim with a shoulder wound. So many questions and zero answers.

Soul (2020)

I thought this was fantastic.  The NY scenes were evocative as hell.  The felt more NY than actual NY.  I do think the movie stopped down a bit when it was otherworldly, but the animation was incredible in its simplicity.  It was odd as heck, but what a cool venture.  Not sure that any two people would have the same reaction to this.

Did not feel like a cartoon - did anyone have kids that enjoyed this?

1708254f5dc4389a097135.30885669_.png

Burn After Reading. 

Maybe my 2nd or 3rd time seeing it but this has to be one of the most underrated Coen's. It's hilarious and the cast is absurd. Malkovich, Pitt, Clooney, Swinton, McDormand. And some good supporting roles, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Burn After Reading. 

Maybe my 2nd or 3rd time seeing it but this has to be one of the most underrated Coen's. It's hilarious and the cast is absurd. Malkovich, Pitt, Clooney, Swinton, McDormand. And some good supporting roles, too. 

Love that movie. 

Spoiler

image.gif.64b8941790bbdb6a67fef5cf09fa3925.gif

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Love that movie. 

Hide contents

image.gif.64b8941790bbdb6a67fef5cf09fa3925.gif

It's a 7.0 on IMDB which is criminal. Maybe turned too many people off with the random violence and such. Obviously hit a wide audience initially - grossed 163 at theatres. It's crazy engaging and not only is the cast about as good as it gets (I was trying to think how many Oscar wins and noms those 5 have together - it's a fuck ton) but they all deliver. Malkovich is Malkovich, Clooney is a hilarious neurotic wreck, Swinton and Frances have never been bad in anything and Pitt plays maybe his funniest role ever. 

Definitely going towards the top of my rewatch rotation. 

Oh... and the JK Simmons scenes are piss your pants funny. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Movie dump:

Drug War- solid Chinese crime/action movie. Probably no need to seek it out. 6.5/10 

Frank- I enjoyed this weird movie that I don’t think I completely got. Also learned that Dohmnall Gleeson is Brenden Gleeson’s son. 7/10

The Disappearance of Alice Creed- really twisty movie that's tightly wound and well acted. 7/10

Boss Level- enjoyable action flick. 6.5/10

Saint Maud- this movie really wasn't what I was expecting it'd be. Lot's of tension without much payoff in a horror sense, although from a psychological thriller sense there was a pretty good payoff. 6/10 

Lord of War- quit watching after about 45 minutes. 3/10

Narc- really good gritty and intense crime thriller. Streaming on Prime. 7/10

Spring- weird and interesting movie that I can’t really describe without giving too much away, so I’ll use “An aimless young man (Lou Taylor Pucci) takes an impromptu trip to Italy and becomes involved with an alluring genetics student (Nadia Hilker) who harbors a transformative secret.”. The movie meandered too much in the second half and I found myself getting bored. 6/10

Hunt for the Wilderpeople- what is Taika Waititi really good at? The answer is, making movies I adore. He’s now 4/4 for me. That includes What We Do in the Shadows, Thor Ragnorak, Jojo Rabbit, and the one I just watched, Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Streaming on Hulu. 8/10

Synchronic- decent and interesting new netflix sci-fi movie. 6.5/10

Inside (the 2007 French movie, not the American remake)- holy ****. Gnarliest thriller I’ve seen since... audition? Not for the faint of heart. Less than an hour and a half runtime. Slight ding for bad f/x. 8.5/10

Without remorse- action was fine, story was dumb. Replacement level action movie. 5.5/10

Suspiria (the original)- I saw the remake before I saw the original, and was surprised to find that the original was shallower than the remake. I think I need to rewatch the new one to double check, but I think the remake was actually the better movie. Anyway, this was my second “giallo” to watch. The first, “The Blood and the Black Lace” was excellent, while this was merely very good for it’s time, or good as a cult classic . 7/10

Love and Monsters- pleasant and charming post apocalyptic monster movie. 7.5/10

Jade- really poorly made movie in one of my favorite genres from a highly regarded director and screenwriter. Not sure what happened here. Chunks of this felt like it was made by a high school film student. Yikes. 3/10

Fanny and Alexander- revisited The Seventh Seal awhile back after watching it about a decade ago, and didn't feel like it held up. Fanny and Alexander, Bergman's magnum opus, however does hold up. At over three hours long, this can be a difficult watch in one sitting (I recommend breaking it into three parts), but the director elegantly mixed in the best of his abilities into this lush and magical family drama period piece that touches on the themes he explores across his filmography. 10/10

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage- nothing special about this giallo. Watch Blood and Black Lace instead. 6.5/10

Scanners- the strong parts more than make up for the flaws (poor acting, noticeable over-dubbing) in this cult sci-fi/horror. Strong directing and storytelling, but the budgeting and acting probably kept this one from being great. 7.5/10

Martyrs- as far as ****ed up French movies go, I liked High Tension and Inside much more. This one was a little too much for me, and I thought parts of it were really dumb. 5/10

Love Exposure- what a silly, funny, bizarre, wild, entertaining, ambitious, exhausting, and outstanding movie. The longest movie I've ever watched. I've never seen anything like it. 10/10

Those Who Wish Me Dead- some good performers are trying really hard in this garbage movie, but they’re unable to redeem it. This was really bad. Is the shien coming off of Taylor Sheridan? 3/10

Animal Kingdom- solid crime drama about how a small Australian crime family reacts as the law stars closing in. Some great performances in this one, including Ben Mendelssohn. 6.5/10

Borgman- not really sure how to categorize this one;. a dark Dutch folk fable? Anyway, interesting movie that I don't want to give away much plot for. Don't think I grasped what it meant, but it was entertaining nonetheless. 7.5/10

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia- this Turkish movie is really long, gorgeous, hypnotic, and thought provoking. It felt like I was reading a novel, and the director was able to get some of the qualities from good novels that are usually difficult to transfer to the big screen to work. I think some of the high level takeaways went over my head, but oh well; very good movie that might have been a tad too long. 8.5/10

Game Night- meh. 6/10

Only Lovers Left Alive- a promising movie due to an interesting premise and a loaded cast, but the movie is just a bit boring (which fits one of the major themes of the movie). 6.5/10 

In The Earth- Ben Wheatley returns to his folk horror roots (his movie Kill List was one of my favorites of the past decade). Movie is interesting, gorgeous, and at times scary, but ultimately doesn’t come together into a great finished product. I wouldn’t recommend this one unless you’re into the prestige horror genre, but I’d recommend Kill List. 6.5/10

The Clovehitch Killer- I was expecting this movie to be bad, but it was surprisingly not terrible. 6.5/10

Bound- solid 90s crime thriller by the Wachowski's. Currently streaming on Prime. 7/10

Riders of Justice- New Danish revenge flick that is surprisingly deep in terms of comedy and feels. I lol'd out loud about eight times. Stars the great Mads Mikkelsen. A little too long of a runtime at 2 hours, but solid multidimensional action flick. Renting on Prime and Apple for $7. 7/10

Cruella- good movie for a Disney live action original, and a killer soundtrack. Love Emma Stone. 7/10

Rec- pretty badass Spanish horror movie that's kind of ruined by the terrible English voiceover that's distracting. 7.5/10 

A Field in England- a truly bizarre lower budget dialogue driven psychological folk horror, directed by Ben Wheatley. 6.5/10

Attack the Block- a group of young English hoodlums battle aliens in their in neighborhood in this entertaining movie with a Gremlin's type of comedy/horror vibe. 6.5/10 

The Beyond- this b-horror can be appreciated for the technical and genre trailblazing it might have done, but it didn't age very well, and was frankly a mess. 3.5/10

The Red Violin- a fascinating layered movie that weaves different stories together than spans centuries, continents, and cultures. None of the stories drag, which makes the 130 runtime not too tedious. 7.5/10

• Hook 'Em 1