The movie you just watched

F250

Fear Street Part One: 1994- based on the RL Stein young adult horror books, this was surprisingly pretty damn good for a Netflix horror. A throwback to the Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elmstreet type of silly slashers. One death towards the end made my jaw drop in surprise. There are some nits to pick, but I found it surprisingly enjoyable. 7/10

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Godfather III

Thought I would give this another go after over a decade.  Nope, still horrible.  Hard to believe something with most of the pieces of the previous movies can suck this much.

The studio not offering Duval more money which resulted in an entire script chance was such an unforced error. 

Obvious Rhyder dropping out and being replaced by Sofia was unfortunate too, but I think the Duval issue is what really fucked the movie 

Rango (Kid movie, Johnny Depp). I never hear anyone talk about this movie and I randomly watched it with a kiddo. I think this was an extremely well made and interesting movie, and especially loved the visuals and animation of the animals.

The first 9 minutes of Rango I'd put up toe-to-toe as the best with any children's or animated movie you can name.

Edited by JulesVerne
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One Cut of the Dead- this Japanese comedy/horror was pretty fucking cool and creative. In an effort to avoid spoilers, I'll used this blurb; "Things go badly for a hack director and film crew shooting a low budget movie in an abandoned Second World War Japanese facility, when they are attacked by real zombies". 8/10

On 7/12/2021 at 8:55 PM, bernorange said:

Do you enjoy movies that are hilariously awful?  You might enjoy Street Fighter with Van Damme (sp?).  My son put it on today.  I had forgotten how silly this movie was.  The group pose at the very end was gloriously WTF.

I enjoyed this movie when I was a kid. It's so terrible it's good. 

23 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night.   

This film is 40 years old now and still seems un-aged, supremely entertaining and flat out awesome with a great script, engaging adventure story and perfect casting.

Two horns up. 

Steven Soderbergh took Raiders, replaced the original score with the Social Network score, then made it black and white as a way to deep dive into the sequencing and cutting patterns used by Spielberg and was blown away by how perfectly constructed it is.

https://www.slashfilm.com/steven-soderbergh-raiders-lost-ark/

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Come and See. Astonishing Soviet 1985 film about WWII through the eyes of a Belarusian kid. The SS crimes in the Ukraine are terrifyingly presented.

More Arthouse than rah-rah patriotism.

It is a must see.

Did you watch it on Criterion? It's been at the top of my watchlist for awhile 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, Gatorubet said:

Come and See. Astonishing Soviet 1985 film about WWII through the eyes of a Belarusian kid. The SS crimes in the Ukraine are terrifyingly presented.

More Arthouse than rah-rah patriotism.

It is a must see.

I watched that movie last night based on your review and it sucked hard. There was nothing "astonishing" or realistic about it. The SS was much more brutal and not (as portrayed) inefficient buffoons in that area. Watching the kid (for 3 hours!) with the permanent crying face was a beating. It is a must avoid if you know anything about Operation Barbarossa

I watched that movie last night based on your review and it sucked hard. There was nothing "astonishing" or realistic about it. The SS was much more brutal and not (as portrayed) inefficient buffoons in that area. Watching the kid (for 3 hours!) with the permanent crying face was a beating. It is a must avoid if you know anything about Operation Barbarossa

Well, you know better.

On a much lighter subject than war, Pretty in Pink was on the other day, and it’s the Oakland of movies, there’s no there there.

Completely pointless. Quirky poor girl has an even more eccentric dude friend (who really overcompensates while hitting on girls, we all know how that ends up in a few years). Quirky girl suddenly is the object of affection from kinda nice rich guy, while his asshole rich friend has been trying to bang quirky girl...and getting nowhere. Why in the fuck would the asshole want the barely cute quirky girl? He’s banging the hot rich bitch. Anyway, nice rich guy just as suddenly ghosts quirky girl as prom approaches, she sews an ugly ass dress and goes stag, sees nerdy guy all dressed up, he says rich nice guy isn’t so bad, rich nice guy says... out of no-fucking-where... “I love you!” 

Happy ending!

There was some Harry Dean Stanton-ing going on (trademark sad sack loser dad) and Annie Potts being hot, but that’s it. Not JH’s finest work.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

Ah, I know nothing about Operation Barbarossa, and therefore I am okay to come and see it!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

What did you think? I listened to the creator interviewed recently and didn’t come away feeling great about watching this. Hope to be wrong.

I did not come away feeling great about watching this, but kind of knew that would be part of it.

I've had to cope with family suicides, so I was mentally prepared for discomfort.

I think it is an important film and one worth the time.  Just be honest about your feelings, allow yourself to have them, and understand that we are all the same.

So, I suppose if I came away from the film with that in my heart as I am typing this it was somewhat therapeutic and allowed me to honestly reflect.  Thank you for asking.

• Hook 'Em 4