The movie you just watched

F250

Too Big To Fail.

HBO's story of the 2008 meltdown.  I didn't like it as much as the first time I saw it.  Some of it was pretty ham handed, specifically the moments where they are trying to explain the causes of the meltdown to each other(for the benefit of the audience).

One thing that really stood out to me was the scope and scale of the gigantic bailout (780billion) and amounts it took to save some very large banks (tens of billions) and the amounts that we are currently working on and what was spent over the last year in the pandemic.  NO CR

On 4/24/2021 at 10:05 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve been trying to rip through a few of the Oscars movies I haven’t seen. 

Pieces of a Woman - Opening 30 minutes or so were fucking intense. The remainder of the movie was pretty much a complete mess, particularly the comical court room scene in the end. Just awful writing.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - I found myself liking this much more than I expected. Boseman and Viola Davis were both very good, and I enjoyed how they kept the staging like the play.

One Night in Miami - snooze fest, but it did remind me that I need to watch When We Were Kings for the 100th time soon.

My Octopus Teacher - smoke a J and fire this one up. 

Just watched My Octopus Teacher. It was really weird. I felt like I was second-hand watching a guy have a spiritual experience and the camera work, videos and photos were really really great. But man, I have to be honest, the sexual tension was more real than that horrible movie The Shape of Water. Very weird watching a guy fall in love with what is probably the closest thing to an alien that we have on earth.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Death of a Salesman (1985) starring Dustin Hoffman and a young John Malkovich.

Pretty strong-- I've never seen the Broadway versions with Lee J. Cobb which I've heard was the gold standard, but Hoffman was fantastic. Arthur Miller wrote the character as extremely Jewish without explicitly saying it.

Payback (2021).  World's dumbest revenge movie.  Guy in the Ukrainian mafia gets set up by his boss to take the fall for something he didn't do.  Get's out of prison and seeks revenge.  Is totally inept at revenge and should have been killed a dozen times.  Gets his grandfather killed and shows up at his funeral.  The whole Ukrainian mafia is out looking to kill him, but nobody thinks to look for him at his Grandfather's funeral,  He's finally used by the mafia boss' girlfriend to kill the boss and take over the mafia.  He then becomes her bitch.  No tits. Terrible plot.  Not enough gratuitous violence.  Total failure all around.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, mr. sunshine said:

Agnes of God. A nun has a baby then kills it but doesn’t even know where babies come from. Jane Fonda counsels her while continuously lighting one cigarette off another 

I was flipping channels and saw one minute of this on TCM.

I had forgotten how fucking weird the Tilly girls were.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:02 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

Death of a Salesman (1985) starring Dustin Hoffman and a young John Malkovich.

Pretty strong-- I've never seen the Broadway versions with Lee J. Cobb which I've heard was the gold standard, but Hoffman was fantastic. Arthur Miller wrote the character as extremely Jewish without explicitly saying it.

Been thinking a lot about Death of a Salesman this week; it really was a powerhouse performance by Hoffman. I haven't seen a lot of Hoffman movies that are supposed to be really good like Tootsie or Rain Man, so I might do that, because I thought he gave one of the best performances I've ever seen here as it's marinated this week. Truly great stuff, if you ever get a chance to watch it (not sure how popular it is). Though I've never seen any of Hoffman's big movies, I guess In hindsight it shouldn't be weird because I loved Dustin Hoffman in all the Kung Fu Panda movies, I thought he was a bright spot in Dick Tracy (1990) and absolutely stole every scene he was in and portrayed the definitive and best Captain Hook ever in the eponymous Hook (1991).

And Malkovich was just eh, okay. And I love Malkovich in almost everything I've seen as an older actor.

Anyways, check out the movie. I hear the play hasn't been on Broadway in forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

Double Feature this afternoon... 

City Slickers - Always enjoy this one, wished Jack had more screen time but he kills what little time he's on screen.  Both Daniel Stern and Bruno Kirby are great also, Crystal is the only weak link imo.  

Heaven Can Wait - Not as good as I remember it being, still a stellar cast with Beatty, Mason, Warden, Grodin, Christie and Cannon.  

• Like 1

Not a movie, but didn't know where else it would fit. I've been surfing Pluto and watching Michael Mann's failed Miami Vice follow-up, Crime Story. This show had such great potential, but never took off. Set in the early 60's Dennis Farina is Lt. Mike Torello chasing mobsters in Chicago. Midway through Season 1 the show moves to chasing mobsters in Las Vegas and really hits it's stride. Lots of Michael Mann cinematography, but the scripts were weak. All in all, a fun watch. One of my favorite intros.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Macanudo said:

Watched Gunpowder Milkshake last week.  Considering the star power in the cast, this kind of a flop.  Worth having on in the background but glad I didn't have high expectations.

Looked like a ripoff of the sequel to the Kingsmen.  Was it as bad as I imagine?

Reminiscence on HBO Max.

Utterly mediocre.

I feel like they were given a huge budget and told to make a movie. They took a small budget script and inexplicably decided to set it in a sunken future Miami and then spent the budget on bad special effects and added 30 minutes of runtime talking about Miami being sunken even though nothing really hinges on that plot point. Half the movie is filmed in front of a green screen for no reason. Oh, Hugh Jackman is standing in front of a bookcase? Green screen. Exterior plain building shot? Green screen.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Hunt is a good satire that really sticks it to both sides of this country. Definitely recommend. Very violent and funny. Betty Gilpin is awesome.

Let Him Go - Costner and Diane Lane set in the 60s, they try to save their grandson from a caricature of a villain. Costner pretty much plays his Yellowstone character. I rarely say this but it needed to be a little longer. The villains were under-developed and cartoonish.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Reminiscence on HBO Max.

Utterly mediocre.

I feel like they were given a huge budget and told to make a movie. They took a small budget script and inexplicably decided to set it in a sunken future Miami and then spent the budget on bad special effects and added 30 minutes of runtime talking about Miami being sunken even though nothing really hinges on that plot point. Half the movie is filmed in front of a green screen for no reason. Oh, Hugh Jackman is standing in front of a bookcase? Green screen. Exterior plain building shot? Green screen.

Yeah, I was pretty buzzed when we watched this one last night, and I still though it was barely tolerable. There’s a few interesting ideas buried under what felt like a SyFy Channel movie, but virtually every single one is left to rot on the vine and ends up wasted. And the ending was cheesy as hell and completely unearned. 

On 8/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, ultimaton said:

Yeah, I was pretty buzzed when we watched this one last night, and I still though it was barely tolerable. There’s a few interesting ideas buried under what felt like a SyFy Channel movie, but virtually every single one is left to rot on the vine and ends up wasted. And the ending was cheesy as hell and completely unearned. 

It was such a straightforward noir story that I thought I had missed something.  It wasn't enough sci-fi to be exciting, nor enough of a departure from the tropes of noir to be exciting.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:54 AM, Buzzrock said:

The Hunt is a good satire that really sticks it to both sides of this country. Definitely recommend. Very violent and funny. Betty Gilpin is awesome.

Let Him Go - Costner and Diane Lane set in the 60s, they try to save their grandson from a caricature of a villain. Costner pretty much plays his Yellowstone character. I rarely say this but it needed to be a little longer. The villains were under-developed and cartoonish.

Watched it last night, absolutely loved it.

“YOU FUCKED UP, BITCH!!!”

• Like 1

Saturday's Hero released in 1937 starring Van Heflin with Marian Marsh.

Heflin is a college football star that is scalping his tickets to get by because it is hard to make ends meet as a collegiate athlete.  He is caught doing this and loses his position on the team.  He confronts the college president about this because the schools, collectively, are making $40 million per year on football and the athletes are getting "nothing" for the money that they are brining in for the schools.  Sound familiar?  Seems to be an issue forever!

A short, fun watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nocturnal Animals. The “real” part of the story and some of the Texas accents weren’t great, but Michael Shannon and the “novel” story were awesome.

I rewatched this on a plane recently. I thought Single Man was fantastic and first time I watched this I was kinda ambivalent. Michael Shannon continues to be incredible.
  • Like 1