The movie you just watched

F250

Vacation Friends.  Hulu movie that I had no intention of watching, let alone liking.  This movie is funny if a little long and telegraphed.  

Sideways.  I had only ever seen this once a long time ago.  It aged well and was better than I remembered and I remembered it being good.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not a movie, but I caught the first 3 episodes of RFDS Royal Flying Doctor Service on an alternative streaming site. Thought it was going to be documentary, but turned out to be a scripted series. Interesting storyline of flying doctors 100's of miles into the outback on medevac missions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bombshell. Movie was ok, but topic was really sad; actually, that this shit still goes on. Not really surprised as misogyny is very much alive, but just sad that this level of harassment still exists in big time corporate America. Speaking as an upper middle class white male, a lot of men are scum

The Mauritanian. Really good, albeit very disturbing, movie. Pretty embarrassing for us as a country. 

Haven’t seen it, but a few years ago, sat through a long and detailed presentation by Dickey Grigg, a local attorney and a member of the unofficial “Guantanamo Bar Association,” as he represented a detainee.

Afterwards, on my drive home, I had tears of anger, rage, and pride. What our country did in our name there was so anathema to our supposedly core values of law and justice…it was brutal. But that we have people who believe in those values, and stood up for them to defend detainees…that was pretty inspirational. I’m glad their story is being told. Don’t mean to go CR here, really. It’s just that a movie can tell important stories.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cruella. Wow super shocked at how awesome it was. The lead actresses really hit a home run here and the story was fresh and exciting. I feel like Cruella was what DC wished they could have with Harley Quinn as Cruella had more Joker in her (creativity, humor, and flashes of viciousness and all around brilliance) than Robie’s Harley ever has displayed. I guess that’s the difference in writing or the acting, or both.

22 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

The Sandlot.

First time to ever watch it. I know, I know, I know.  I am 55 and really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud and really reflected on my childhood as baseball was top priority for me growing up...and other, “I can’t believe we did that stuff”.

Just now watching the Sandlot?  You're killing me Smalls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

His Kind of Woman (1951)

6a00e5523026f588340120a69c6d30970c-pi

This one is pretty out of control.  But I thought it was really enjoyable.  Mitchum just cooling it, Russell and her bosom, and Vincent Price and Raymond Burr hamming it up. It didn't make any goddamn sense at all.

The backstory of the shoot, and reshoot, is pretty interesting, with Howard Hughes driving everyone crazy.

9 hours ago, pch said:

The Card Counter.  Currently 86% critics/25% audience on Rotten Tomatoes and that should have told me something.  Oh well, the popcorn was just being emptied and was fresh.😎

Saw it last night. Absolute garbage. Sound design was cool and Oscar Issac really tried, but otherwise a very bad movie. 

The Hot Rock (1972), from a Donald Westlake novel.  Robert Redford and George Segal lead a gang trying to steal a diamond.  They end up having to break into a museum, a prison, a police station, and a bank to get it.  Quincy Jones does the soundtrack.  Pretty good.  There is a scene with a helicopter flying across New York that shows the world trade center under construction.

Edited by WBT

A Bittersweet Life- another S Korean movie that I loved, this one from the director of “I Saw the Devil” and “A Tale of Two Sisters”, and I thought it was maybe the best movie of the three. 9/10

Fireworks- a Japanese yakuza/cops movie. This movie lost me in terms of plot several times in the first half, but you’re able to put the pieces together as the movie goes on. Minimalist movie that doesn’t explain some details that almost any other movie would, but is emotionally satisfying. 7/10

Suicide Squad: Fun movie, although not quite as good as the other fun recent comic movies like Ragnorak, Deadpool, and Guardians, but a solid fun watch. Perhaps a hot take, but while I love Margot Robbie, her Harley Quinn character felt like it was in a different movie for me, and was a little distracting. 7/10. 

Videodrome- on the surface (without trying to ponder the larger themes he was going for) this was an extremely tightly made cult sci-fi/horror. James Woods shines. Needless to say, this movie is weird as fuck. Would make a great double-feature with Scanners, which I watched earlier this year and also enjoyed. 8.5/10

Malignant- not James Wan’s best work. Not a good sign when an unironic horror movie makes you laugh. 4/10

The World’s End- this movie was fucking great, although it dragged a bit at the end. 9/10

Pig- Pretty amazing film teaser- "A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped." We get good Cage in this movie. Also, this movie is really good looking. I could see this one being a personal favorite for some people, and also turning into a cult classic. 7.5/10

The Vanishing (subtitled)- a late 80s look into the serial killer/psychopath, and interestingly one that comes from the perspective of both the killer and the victim's lover. There was an odd audio tic going on that was distracting, not sure if the problem was on my end or just a movie making issue? The protagonist is a dead ringer as a Dutch McNulty. 7.5/10

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Malignant. Good horror flick with a totally fresh angle. I enjoyed it.

I can't tell if marketing this as a traditional "weird shit starts happening in a house" horror movie was genius or a mistake.  Because it is very much... not that.  I really enjoyed it but this movie is fucking bonkers and if you want to watch, make sure to not read ANYTHING about it before hand.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I can't tell if marketing this as a traditional "weird shit starts happening in a house" horror movie was genius or a mistake.  Because it is very much... not that.  I really enjoyed it but this movie is fucking bonkers and if you want to watch, make sure to not read ANYTHING about it before hand.

Great point. Thats exactly what it is... until it isnt.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:46 AM, Fud said:

The Vanishing (subtitled)- a late 80s look into the serial killer/psychopath, and interestingly one that comes from the perspective of both the killer and the victim's lover. There was an odd audio tic going on that was distracting, not sure if the problem was on my end or just a movie making issue? The protagonist is a dead ringer as a Dutch McNulty. 7.5/10

I remember loving this flick, but I can't remember anything about it.  May need to rewatch.

Moneyball- masterful performance for Pitt in a role that suited him perfectly, and what the movie does well overpowers any qualms I have about it. Does any actor pick cooler roles than Pitt? 9/10

Three Extremes- a horror anthology from three SE Asian directors; Chan from Hong Kong, Chan-Wook from S Korea, and Miike from Japan. I'd never heard of Chan, but Chan-Wook (Oldboy, The Handmaiden, Lady Vengeance) and Miike (Audition, Ichi the Killer) have made some of my favorite movies. This was apparently Chan's first foray into horror. These stories go about as you'd expect for SE Asian horror; disturbing, beautifully shot and scored, haunting, weird as fuck, heavy commentary/themes, and really fucking confusing at times; I'm not completely sure what happened at the end of the second and third stories, and I'm having trouble finding satisfying explanations online. I wonder what an English version of this would look like? I think Lynch would have to be included, one "master" not known for horror, and then maybe one of Peele, Wan, Aster, Eggers, or Wheatley. In any event, this is worth adding to the watchlist if you're into the genre. 7/10

Just subscribed to Shudder and love it. Horror you won't find anyhwere else.
VFW was awesome. Bunch of classic b list actors play vets in a vfw lodge defending it from a mob of crack heads.

I’m a big horror fan and I’ve had Shudder for a couple years. Hit me up if you want a list of favorites. Or my Letterboxd is wutang75. Some really quality stuff from the 70s - 80s. Just watched Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker with a young Bill Paxton.

I thought Malignant was great for what it was and definitely thought it was intentionally horrible. That cop dialogue was hilarious. The crazy ass parking spot made me laugh as well. Drags but the last 20-30 minutes was worth it.

Another good service is Kanopy. Free with library card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

32 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

I’m a big horror fan and I’ve had Shudder for a couple years. Hit me up if you want a list of favorites. Or my Letterboxd is wutang75. Some really quality stuff from the 70s - 80s. Just watched Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker with a young Bill Paxton.

I thought Malignant was great for what it was and definitely thought it was intentionally horrible. That cop dialogue was hilarious. The crazy ass parking spot made me laugh as well. Drags but the last 20-30 minutes was worth it.

Another good service is Kanopy. Free with library card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Check out Behind the Mask. Mockumentary following an aspiring slasher in world where Jason, Freddy Krueger, and Mike Myers are real.  Goes into how he preps to create his legend and the formula he follows to pick victims and how he kills them.

Very well done 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

Raw- visually striking and sounding French alternative horror that wasn't at all what I expected. I'm not always good at picking out the symbolism notes, but this one's seemed obvious. Well done. 7.5/10

Reading through reviews, it seems like many of the negatives are due to expectations; for some the movie was over-hyped, especially in terms of gore and scares, so some were disappointed