The movie you just watched

F250

Hell House LLC- solid horror movie in a format that I usually can't get into, but that worked in this one. 6.5/10

Oculus- about halfway through I realized I’d seen this before. Just have been drunk or something the first time around. Solid horror. 6.5/10

Candyman (2021)- when the director decides that the importance of social commentary is more important than actually making a good movie. You can skip this one. 3/10

My Bloody Valentine- this was surprisingly good. 7/10

His House- where Candyman's social commentary and plot didn't come together in a coherent fashion, this one did a good job of actually creating a well rounded horror movie that's worth watching and later ruminating on. 7/10

Poltergeist- I appreciate that it's well made and trailblazing, that it has some banger scary scenes, and that a ton of horror movies (The Conjuring series in particular) borrowed heavily from it, but something was missing that didn't make this an all time favorite for me; I think maybe since it's a PG horror movie, and since most of the movie a little light hearted and felt low stakes in a Spielberg sort of way, I just never felt emotionally invested that any of these characters were truly in danger. 8/10

Peeping Tom- like a lot of classics, I appreciated this one more than enjoyed watching it. Extremely good movie technically. Heavily influenced by Hitchcock. 7/10

Phantasm- an incoherent and jumbled mess with a cool Halloween-like score, a dollar store Harrison Ford, and some gnarly flying murder balls. 5/10

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Poltergeist- I appreciate that it's well made and trailblazing, that it has some banger scary scenes, and that a ton of horror movies (The Conjuring series in particular) borrowed heavily from it, but something was missing that didn't make this an all time favorite for me; I think maybe since it's a PG horror movie, and since most of the movie a little light hearted and felt low stakes in a Spielberg sort of way, I just never felt emotionally invested that any of these characters were truly in danger. 8/10

Was Speilberg blowing the people in the ratings office?  Poltergeist and Jaws were both rated PG.  Not that either are hardcore, but they at least deserve a PG 13.  

On 10/14/2021 at 3:51 AM, ztejas said:

"This Is The End" (2013)

I think I liked this decently when I was too young or impressionable to know any better... but wow if this isn't one of the worst, most self-aggrandizing pieces of shit ever produced. 

Everyone involved in this should be embarrassed, frankly. It's a whore-piece meant to elevate everyone in its standing within a vacuous, agent-fee driven douchefuckscape that was/is Hollywood.

There are of course singular actors in this one that I like and may or may not stand by in the future - but overall this film needs to be ignored and chastised for what it is, that being one of the biggest pieces of flaming dogshit ever conceived by these assholes.

Now this is a movie review.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, ztejas said:

"This Is The End" (2013)

I think I liked this decently when I was too young or impressionable to know any better... but wow if this isn't one of the worst, most self-aggrandizing pieces of shit ever produced. 

Everyone involved in this should be embarrassed, frankly. It's a whore-piece meant to elevate everyone in its standing within a vacuous, agent-fee driven douchefuckscape that was/is Hollywood.

There are of course singular actors in this one that I like and may or may not stand by in the future - but overall this film needs to be ignored and chastised for what it is, that being one of the biggest pieces of flaming dogshit ever conceived by these assholes.

this movie was hilarious

Tremors is on tv.

Best FU in film history.                    Who died and made you Einstein? Guess you picked the wrong rec room to break into.                         Hey Earl, I found the ass-end.      You ever seen anything like this? Sure Earl, we all know about them we just didn't tell you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The on the nose pedophilia is a bit much nowadays.

I used to think he viewed her as a daughter but nope, he definitely wanted to fuck her.

I never got that impression at all; to me it looked like he was very uncomfortable with her acting sexually and tried to avoid/re-direct those situations.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/23/2021 at 8:44 PM, Go Pokes said:

Hooper (1978)

If you’re 54 or older, you already know. If you fall outside that age range and ever wondered “what’s the big deal about Burt Reynolds?”, Hooper holds the answer.

38df4eee16f7f9f0619fd9b4cb789b45.jpg

Childhood favorite. Probably watched it 100 times. It was the movie of the week every Sunday for like a year.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Was off yesterday and watched When We Were Kings (again).

Hard pressed to find a better documentary.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-shot-not-heard-round-the-world/

Great article on Elmo Henderson, who appears throughout that movie as Foreman's hype man and sparring partner.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, MissingInAction said:

Childhood favorite. Probably watched it 100 times. It was the movie of the week every Sunday for like a year.

Most of Hooper was filmed in and around my hometown of Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  My wife attend the extras call daily but unfortunately was never picked.  She did have lunch at a table where Robert Klein, who played the asshole director of the film within a film, was also dining.  She said he was an absolute prince of a guy, a Manhattan comic among drawling Southerners.  He was engaging and hilarious at times, as you might expect, and most gracious about autograph requests.  One day when nothing much was going on, Buddy Joe Hooker gave my wife a thrilling ride on a powerful Harley along the course of the big destruction explosion-a-ganza scene.  I got the feeling she was rather stimulated by the experience of wrapping her arms around Buddy Joe's velvet ribs, as the Boss sang.  The shoot took twice as long as planned because it was done in January and February when he weather was rotten, wet and cold 80% of the time.  Original title was The Hollywood Stuntman  before changed to Hooper, I suppose as a hopeful homage to channel the panache of better films such as HudHarper and  Hombre.

• Like 1