Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to jeopardize enjoying the rest of this season by worrying about whether he declares or not.  I anticipate watching him play as much, if not more than anyone since Jamaal Charles....and I'm not saying he's our best offensive player since then.  Not throwing shade on Colt, Jordan Shipley, etc......just that L'JH's game is so unique that I don't think we've ever had anyone who consistently does what he's done this first 6 games.

• Like 3

I remember when he chose Texas over Cal. I was really excited about him despite being perhaps the lowest ranked out that class. His HS film was jaw dropping to say the least. What an impressive young man.  Hope we keep him for 1 more year. He’s definitely a “hold you breath when he gets the ball” kinda guy. He might juke you, he might run past you, he might jump over you  or he might run you over. 

52 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I remember when he chose Texas over Cal. I was really excited about him despite being perhaps the lowest ranked out that class. His HS film was jaw dropping to say the least. What an impressive young man.  Hope we keep him for 1 more year. He’s definitely a “hold you breath when he gets the ball” kinda guy. He might juke you, he might run past you, he might jump over you  or he might run you over. 

been a fan since day 1 

I remember us taking 10 pages on the recruiting thread chattin about the chick he took to prom. pure smoke (18, so we good )

been a fan since day 1 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I only hope that both he and Johnson decide to come back for their senior years, but I would guess that at least one of them will declare for the draft.

Pretty sure LJH is a redshirt sophomore.  I don't see him going anywhere.  Collin Johnson is a true junior.  I could see him leaving if he finishes the year strong.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Watching that second play live, I thought it was overthrown. LJH just plucked it out of the air so casually.

It is crazy finally seeing Sam throw open his receiver haha. I thought the same thing but then on rewatch was all, "huh. That's a perfectly timed NFL throw." Haven't seen that shit since Colt. Little too much air but the same idea on the Watson TD. He is starting to really get with his WR and it's beautiful to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

LJH was one of Strong's more pointless shortsighted redshit burns if I remember right

Yeah. Kid looked good but got like two receptions his freshman year. Guess it doesn’t matter because there’s no way we’d be able to keep him for 2 more years (had he redshirted). 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

LJH was one of Strong's more pointless shortsighted redshit burns if I remember right

This is correct. There was zero reason for Strong to play him as little as he did - a handful of snaps over two games, I believe.

It still blows my mind that Bitchass Bobby Burton called him the "worst recruit" of our 2016 class. I'm not a scout and don't claim to be, but it was obvious to anyone with eyeballs that LJH was a complete bad ass at Southlake Carroll - 6'5" dudes who can change direction like that don't really come around very often. The only question was whether he could transition to WR/could he catch consistently enough. I think it's safe to say that he can.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas

A former high school running back, the 6-foot-4, 225-pounder has great size and versatility. Humphrey is really making noise because of his ability to show up in the clutch. In the Red River Showdown, he posted nine catches for 133 yards and a touchdown against Oklahoma (and threw for a touchdown as well). He has at least five catches and 50 yards in all six of the Longhorns' games this season. The junior has the potential to be a nightmare matchup at the next level. -- McShay

http://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/24919864/favorite-top-running-backs-2019-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-jr-todd-mcshay

It seems like the trend is leave and get paid.  I think you have to grow up wanting to be a Longhorn to stay for 4 years and delay a huge payday.  It probably helps if you come from money and a two parent home as well, not sure what LJH's situation there is.

He's going to crush it in the NFL.  He reminds me of Travis Kelce.  Long freak athlete who can line up anywhere.  Able to bully defenders or make them miss.

25 minutes ago, Viper said:

That throw was probably one of Sam's best; he just put it in a perfect spot.

Agree. It was just that split second of the ball leaving his hand and seemingly a bit high, before realizing he was throwing to LJH.

1 hour ago, UTperks said:

He should be option one on third down and more than  3 yards.  Johnson maybe for for anything over 15.

My favorite player right now.

Frankly they are interchangeable on that play given their size and ability to bully smaller DBs.  If Sam can continue to be accurate the little curl or slant on 3rd and <6 is a devastating weapon.  Body up the DB, get to the sticks, get the first and then see if you can out-physical them for additional yards after the catch.  Watching them both on Saturday run that play multiple times reminded me of Aikman throwing that route to Irvin back in the day and DBs not being able to do a damn thing about it.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Frankly they are interchangeable on that play given their size and ability to bully smaller DBs.  If Sam can continue to be accurate the little curl or slant on 3rd and <6 is a devastating weapon.  Body up the DB, get to the sticks, get the first and then see if you can out-physical them for additional yards after the catch.  Watching them both on Saturday run that play multiple times reminded me of Aikman throwing that route to Irvin back in the day and DBs not being able to do a damn thing about it.  

In all honesty, this was perhaps Johnson's most impressive play of the year and is something that the NFL will like to see:

11:54 mark if it doesn't queue up correctly. Very physical play by the DB, he's draped all over him, makes the catch with the defender's right arm wrapped around his chest, controlls the ball, and fights for a crucial first down.

• Like 1

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

The man is a bad ass. This is the type of big receiver Charlie liked. Looks like Tom wants the fast little guy after what he said about the OU guys at the presser. Hope he recruits both types. Our big receivers are a huge asset to us.

Eagles is the next big receiver in line for production.

55 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I wonder who's having the better college experience so far between Obi Eboh and LJ Humphrey.

LJH

But I think that every Texas kid who picks Stanford knows that their college experience isn't going to be as good as it would have been if they had gone to Austin.

Additional OBI EBOH Observations:

Just looked up Obi's stats at Stanford and it looks like he redshirted his freshman year and then maybe played a tad on special teams his sophomore year, though this article from late August of this year states that Obi was one of the players getting ready to "appear for the first time in [his] Stanford career".

https://gostanford.com/news/2018/8/27/football.aspx

He's played 6 games this year and has 2 tackles from the game against UC Davis. (1 solo & 1 assist) I'm thinking that he might have thought that he'd playing a more important role by now.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=13980

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Additional OBI EBOH Observations:

Just looked up Obi's stats at Stanford and it looks like he redshirted his freshman year and then maybe played a tad on special teams his sophomore year, though this article from late August of this year states that Obi was one of the players getting ready to "appear for the first time in [his] Stanford career".

https://gostanford.com/news/2018/8/27/football.aspx

He's played 6 games this year and has 2 tackles from the game against UC Davis. (1 solo & 1 assist) I'm thinking that he might have thought that he'd playing a more important role by now.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=13980

Worse things than getting a Mgmt Science and Engineering degree from there though *cue 5000th Stanford education debate*

• Haha 1