Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

58 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't understand the need to shit on the guy at all. He played well for the university. He moved on when he had the opportunity to make a good living. Even practice squad players are making more than he would have as a regular joe. $8-12k/wk ain't nothing to laugh at.

Looks like the  $8-12k/wk is only during the NFL season...

Weekly payment

"Practice squad players make $8,400 per week or $134,400 for 16 games. Veteran players with over two years of experience will make $12,000 per week or $192,000 for 16 games".  

Most NFL practice squad players are given help to find living situations, but not money.  Per the CBA, if a team signs a player to its practice squad and he does not already live in the area, the team "shall make best efforts to provide the player an option for short-term, month-to-month housing at the player’s expense.

.https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/9/5/21419360/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more-washington-football-team

Edited by LTtxfan

45 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This.  It's amazing the cognitive dissonance on players who leave early to try and better their football situation.  IMO, he probably needs to embrace a position change as a move TE unless he's really increased his explosion.  Tall WRs haven't gone away, but 4.75 is terrible for any era, although there was some rumor that he got down to 4.6 unofficially at his Pro day.  He may just have physical limitations which don't allow him to flourish in the pro's like college.

Nah. This nonsense about him just being physically limited is bullshit. He was never going to run a 4.4 or have the measurables of a first round pick, but he absolutely has better athleticism than he showed at the combine and was plenty athletic to get drafted. This wasn’t a case of his physical gifts making him undraftabale. He chose to be lazy, smoke weed, and not properly train for the combine, and it cost him a lot of money and opportunity. You could tell at the combine he wasn’t in good shape and didn’t look like he trained enough for the drills. I was all for him leaving early, but if he was going to do that then he should’ve come back to Texas for an extra year so he had at least had two years of production. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I don't understand the need to shit on the guy at all. He played well for the university. He moved on when he had the opportunity to make a good living. Even practice squad players are making more than he would have as a regular joe. $8-12k/wk ain't nothing to laugh at.

It’s not about people wanting to shit on him, but a bunch of people came in here and said how talented he was and they couldn’t believe teams couldn’t figure out how to use him, but those takes are missing a lot of context and ignoring red flags he has. It’s completely understandable why the Saints aren’t keeping him on their active roster. I hope he has success, and with covid and everything else going on, this is probably his best chance to see real game action. He’s a damn good football player, and I won’t be surprised at all if he plays well when given the opportunity, but the reason he hasn’t got more opportunities so far is his own fault. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

One season doesn’t a great receiver make though. Also, you can’t be surprised with the advent of the spread type offenses that receivers now have more yards than the 80’s or 90’s

I don't care what era he played in. He was a fucking beast as a junior. Sure his stats are probably inflated due to the offense he played in, but how many of those yards would you wager he had after the catch or after contact? I bet it was a lot. He might have been more of a standout in the 80s or 90s when bigger, more physical receivers shined. We don't need to try and revise that he was just "meh" because he decided to leave early and hasn't had any success yet. He was an awesome player for our first 10 win team in a decade. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

An irrelevant stat considering we’ve been a run dominant program until about the mid 2000s.

You're just arguing against yourself at this point. Pick a better hill to die on than LJ wasn't one of the better receivers we've ever had. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

How is telling the truth shitting on the guy?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was all for him leaving early, but if he was going to do that then he should’ve come back to Texas for an extra year so he had at least had two years of production. 

I agree with your larger points, though IIRC, the thinking was that he was on his last strike for weed so he probably made the correct call in assuming he would've been kicked off the team if he stayed another year. Working with Meh again probably wasn't a big draw either.

You're just arguing against yourself at this point. Pick a better hill to die on than LJ wasn't one of the better receivers we've ever had. 

When I think of “better receivers to ever play at Texas” lilJordan is not on that list

Jordan, Quan, Limas, Roy, BJ, metcalf, lam Jones, Kwame, Mike Adams and mcgarity

Of all the more recent players Duverney is more memorable than LilJordan.

Just look at all time numbers. Mike Davis isn’t memorable at all but he’s statistically a top 5 receiver here.

So yes the eras matter and stats are mostly irrelevant

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I agree. Some folks are so aggrieved. I don't get it. He balled out for us.

25 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

When I think of “better receivers to ever play at Texas” lilJordan is not on that list

Jordan, Quan, Limas, Roy, BJ, metcalf, lam Jones, Kwame, Mike Adams and mcgarity

Of all the more recent players Duverney is more memorable than LilJordan.

Just look at all time numbers. Mike Davis isn’t memorable at all but he’s statistically a top 5 receiver here.

So yes the eras matter and stats are mostly irrelevant

Oh so only players that you remember or played for teams that you liked were good players. 

Not that I can really take this discussion seriously when neither Duvernay or Colin Johnson make your top 10. 

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

it is not shitting on the guy it is wanting him to do better

I think everyone realizes that what is said on this message forum (or pretty much any other) makes little difference in the real world, but the guy is in a situation where he can make from $135,000 to just under $200,000 a year right now which sounds like a ton of money, but it is not when you look at all the factors

he is probably giving 10% of that to an agent, it is difficult for him to buy a home and get some equity in it because of being transient and year to year, he cannot afford to put down roots somewhere while paying rent to be in NO, and taxes eat a lot of that up and to top it off he is probably not saving a lot of what he has left because that is not what most pro sports players do

if he had put in some effort at all or maybe gotten some better advice he could have been a late round pick and he would be getting a signing bonus equal to about what he will make as a practice player and he would have a contract that was 10X what he would make as a practice player.....and if he got some halfway decent financial advice from there he could have some life changing money that allows him to have a good to really good life after even a short pro career even with only a "meh" job after sports

instead he is making some pretty good money that he will be churning through most of and having to work a hell of a lot harder to get where he should have been

ignoring this FACT and trying to blow smoke up people's asses about what he did in college (after he is an undrafted practice player in the pros) is not helping anyone nor is it being realistic

and if you go with the notion that a lot of people go with that putting players in the pros as a college program helps your recruiting then having a very talented player put in poor effort and go undrafted and end up being cut and then signed back to the practice squad is not a good look or a real tool for recruiting it is a tool for players to perhaps look somewhere  else where even players that sat on the bench and only had a single season of play end up as late draft picks and have 10X the money or more

Oh so only players that you remember or played for teams that you liked were good players. 

Not that I can really take this discussion seriously when neither Duvernay or Colin Johnson make your top 10. 

He’s not even a top 3 receiver of his era. Why are you defending him so much?

Why would Duverney or Colin make it?

The guys I listed are generally considered the 10 best receivers to ever play here.

Maybe had Colin not had as many injuries and missed as many games he’d be in there.

Mike Davis and Duverney and Colin are the best receivers this decade imo. But just because they are the best receivers this decade doesn’t mean they’re in the top 10 all time.

28 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

ignoring this FACT and trying to blow smoke up people's asses about what he did in college (after he is an undrafted practice player in the pros) is not helping anyone nor is it being realistic

First, that's not a fact. That's your opinion.

Second,

I think everyone realizes that what is said on this message forum (or pretty much any other) makes little difference in the real world,

if it doesn't make any difference, then it's just shitting on the guy to point out his perceived flaws. How do you know he's not working hard? Maybe his talent was over-estimated playing in a weak Big XII.

He's in a tough spot on the saints. Their top two guys (Mike Thomas and Emanuel Sanders) are great at slants and crossers. So is the very capable TE Jared Cook. LJH is a little redundant. He's an injury replacement and that's all. He honestly probably would have a better shot elsewhere. But I'm not sure if any other teams are interested.

• 3 months later...

Was thrilled to watch this.

I'm such a Lil'Jordan Humphrey fan! 

I saw him spin the ball and walk away from it, but then it seemed like he the ball as he was going to the sideline, so maybe someone grabbed it and  gave it to him.

He'll always be an NFL TD catching receiver!

Hopefully there are more in the future, but he'll always have that one.

• Hook 'Em 1