Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Drew had some really nice comments about him today.  It starts around 9:30.

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/drew-brees-recaps-the-saints-offensive-performance-in-week-15-vs-the-chiefs

Fantastic. I have to admit that I doubted that he'd made the right decision when he left. I'd love to admit that he proved me wrong.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean... I think he pretty obviously made the wrong decision, but who knows. He has hopefully made up for it at this point. Hope he sticks. 

Well, he has already caught a TD pass from a Hall of Fame QB in an NFL game. That has value, to me at least. He'll be sitting in some bar in Oak Cliff 25 years from now talking about how he used to run with Drew Brees and everybody will be like "oh, Lordy ... here he goes again."  

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

A lot of snaps today. Great to see him contribute in a meaningful way. He’s obviously worked his ass off to get there. 

He's going to wind up getting a big contract on down the line and I'm going to end up looking like a dumbass.  Well, even more of a dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Dude he made one catch. He’s my favorite Longhorn since probably Vince, but calm the fuck down. 

He’s made his way onto a roster stacked with WR’s and he’s getting on the field during the playoffs. Brees was praising him a couple weeks ago for his work ethic, something most of us questioned. If Brees and Payton are impressed with him after this long then he has a future in this league. 

He made the right decision going pro, period. Another year under that shitty coaching staff wasn't going to make him any better. He made a poor decision on how to approach the draft. That's on him. But paid on the job training with a professional staff is 20x better than what he was going to get from the Herman Bros circus. And it looks/sounds like he is figuring it out.

The reasons we fired Herman included player development. So what is there to debate?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s going to get “a big contract” and “He made the right decisions” were the quotes. No, he’s not, and no he didn’t. I don’t know why people insist on hyperbole. 

Because it is by far the greatest thing in the history of mankind

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Lil'J and I always like seeing him getting to show his stuff.

Today's catch well behind the line to gain for a first down ended up letting him show off his high school RB skills as he cut back twice and then plowed through for the first down. Will always pull for him... (unless he does some crazy off-field stuff)

I hope that this thread gets to 1,000 pages.

• Hook 'Em 2

He made the right decision going pro, period. Another year under that shitty coaching staff wasn't going to make him any better. He made a poor decision on how to approach the draft. That's on him. But paid on the job training with a professional staff is 20x better than what he was going to get from the Herman Bros circus. And it looks/sounds like he is figuring it out.

The reasons we fired Herman included player development. So what is there to debate?

Yep. Nobody who left early made a bad choice. There are countless examples of players stagnating their senior year under Herman, if not regressing. I doubt you can find 5 examples of guys who actually improved their stock. It's just butt hurt fans lashing out.

LJH has made questionable decisions but that's not one of them

Easy to forget the violence he runs with after the catch. One of my favorite things about watching him play.

One of the highlights of the Herman era for me was watching his catches where the line would push him and extra 10 yards after he was initially wrapped up. I bought in at that point that Tom was transforming us into the physical team he promised.

Turns out it was just ljh doing his thing and the team feeding on it, but damn it was fun to watch.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yep. Nobody who left early made a bad choice. There are countless examples of players stagnating their senior year under Herman, if not regressing. I doubt you can find 5 examples of guys who actually improved their stock. It's just butt hurt fans lashing out.

LJH has made questionable decisions but that's not one of them

As usual, there just a little hyperbole in those statements. 4 years is a very small window, and despite the program being stuck in the mud during that time, Duverney, Ominehu and Malcom Roach (off the top of my head) unquestionably improved their stock by staying, growing, maturing, etc.

LJH hopefully ends up with a real contract whenever he’s due. He will have earned it.

But it is not implausible that another year of college, where he likely could have doubled down as Sam’s security blanket that never materialized this year, and dedication to prepping for the combine, that LJH ‘21 would be better positioned going forward (contract-wise) than is LJH ‘20.
  • Like 1

As usual, there just a little hyperbole in those statements. 4 years is a very small window, and despite the program being stuck in the mud during that time, Duverney, Ominehu and Malcom Roach (off the top of my head) unquestionably improved their stock by staying, growing, maturing, etc.

LJH hopefully ends up with a real contract whenever he’s due. He will have earned it.

But it is not implausible that another year of college, where he likely could have doubled down as Sam’s security blanket that never materialized this year, and dedication to prepping for the combine, that LJH ‘21 would be better positioned going forward (contract-wise) than is LJH ‘20.

Wow. Three in five years. What a stunning display of player development. How could any player decide to miss out on that? Thugs imo

Wow. Three in five years. What a stunning display of player development. How could any player decide to miss out on that? Thugs imo

Again, with the hyperbole. Add Collin Johnson, who unquestionably improved his position by staying an extra year, and you’ve got a substantial percentage, if not a majority, of NFL players from the past 4 years that tangibly improved their stick by staying an extra year.

Add guys like Cosmi, Ossai, Elliot and Conner Williams, who would be 3 and done pretty much anywhere, and you actually got a pretty decent group of NFL talent, especially for a supposed talent tar pit program

this probably isn't the right thread for it, but i bet Caden Sterns turns into a useful player in the NFL.  not an All Pro by any means, but that's a dude that regressed each year he was here because of Mensa.  he was a freak his freshman years.

there's a big Caden Sterns thread that i bet gets bumped when he makes a big play in an NFL playoff game.  just like this thread.  and we'll debate whether he made a mistake leaving early.  but there shouldn't be any debate that Herman did him no favors.

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this probably isn't the right thread for it, but i bet Caden Sterns turns into a useful player in the NFL.  not an All Pro by any means, but that's a dude that regressed each year he was here because of Mensa.  he was a freak his freshman years.

there's a big Caden Sterns thread that i bet gets bumped when he makes a big play in an NFL playoff game.  just like this thread.  and we'll debate whether he made a mistake leaving early.  but there shouldn't be any debate that Herman did him no favors.

I'm going to wait and see what his combine numbers are before I make any predictions on the career Sterns may or may not have.

46 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Again, with the hyperbole. Add Collin Johnson, who unquestionably improved his position by staying an extra year, and you’ve got a substantial percentage, if not a majority, of NFL players from the past 4 years that tangibly improved their stick by staying an extra year.

Add guys like Cosmi, Ossai, Elliot and Conner Williams, who would be 3 and done pretty much anywhere, and you actually got a pretty decent group of NFL talent, especially for a supposed talent tar pit program

Yeah, Collin Johnson's 559 yard and three touchdown senior season definitely helped him.

If you ever find yourself making a point where the validity of your point rests on Tom Herman being a good coach and player developer, your point is fucking stupid. Take a lap.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, Collin Johnson's 559 yard and three touchdown senior season definitely helped him.

If you ever find yourself making a point where the validity of your point rests on Tom Herman being a good coach and player developer, your point is fucking stupid. Take a lap.

[....why do I let myself get dragged down these rabbit holes....]

Yes, Collin Johnson was drafted in an appropriate slot, after his senior year, whereas he would have most likely been an undrafted free-agent after the '19 season.

Quote me saying anything about Tom Herman being a good coach.  Oh?  Can't find anything?  Wow.  

Now, see if you can find where I referenced maturity, growing, etc. for one more year.  See?  That's actually there.

Finally, having named 4 players who unquestionably enhanced their draft status by staying for their senior year, and identifying four others (and I'll now add Michael Dickson to the list of 3 year players who had topped out)....so yes, while there are any number of areas where the prior regime fell short...game prep, in-game execution and "program identity" being chief among them.....the narrative that we've been a total and complete zombie waste-land for each and every potential NFL player that stepped onto campus, well....just doesn't quite hold water.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well, he has already caught a TD pass from a Hall of Fame QB in an NFL game. That has value, to me at least. He'll be sitting in some bar in Oak Cliff 25 years from now talking about how he used to run with Drew Brees and everybody will be like "oh, Lordy ... here he goes again."  

LJH is from Southlake?

15 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

[....why do I let myself get dragged down these rabbit holes....]

Yes, Collin Johnson was drafted in an appropriate slot, after his senior year, whereas he would have most likely been an undrafted free-agent after the '19 season.

Quote me saying anything about Tom Herman being a good coach.  Oh?  Can't find anything?  Wow.  

Now, see if you can find where I referenced maturity, growing, etc. for one more year.  See?  That's actually there.

Finally, having named 4 players who unquestionably enhanced their draft status by staying for their senior year, and identifying four others (and I'll now add Michael Dickson to the list of 3 year players who had topped out)....so yes, while there are any number of areas where the prior regime fell short...game prep, in-game execution and "program identity" being chief among them.....the narrative that we've been a total and complete zombie waste-land for each and every potential NFL player that stepped onto campus, well....just doesn't quite hold water.

Nobody said we're a wasteland. What anyone with a pulse understands is that there's a very short list of two to three players who have improved draft stock from junior to senior year, and an entire Trapper Keeper full of guys who didn't. Based on objective history, a player at Texas is more likely to get injured or hurt his draft stock in his senior year under Herman than they were to improve their draft stock. The majority of our "stars" peaked in their sophomore or junior years. Players who stayed for their senior year made a poor decision. Just ask Sam Ehlinger.

And the fact that you put Collin Johnson up as a guy who improved his draft stock over his Texas career makes me wonder if you actually watch football. There was a point in his time at Texas where he was being talked about as a first round prospect. He went in the fifth round. He was thought of as a top 15 or so WR after his junior season, and he was the 20th WR off the board. If anything, his senior season hurt him

What a stupid take. Watch more football kid.

Edited by BradInATX

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Nobody said we're a wasteland. What anyone with a pulse understands is that there's a very short list of two to three players who have improved draft stock from junior to senior year, and an entire Trapper Keeper full of guys who didn't.

And the fact that you put Collin Johnson up as a guy who improved his draft stock over his Texas career makes me wonder if you actually watch football. There was a point in his time at Texas where he was being talked about as a first round prospect. He went in the fifth round. He was thought of as a top 15 or so WR after his junior season, and he was drafted #20. If anything, his senior season hurt him

What a stupid take. Watch more football.

I watch plenty of football, and read plenty of "commentary" about the 275 "future first rounders" that show up to campuses every fall.  

I'm sorry that Senior Collin Johnson getting drafted earlier that Junior Collin Johnson would have (he wouldn't likely have been drafted at all) causes your panties to crawl up your ass.  My pulse rattled off four other seniors who did in fact improve their draft stock.   I didn't say jack-shit about "over his career."  He was where he was after his Junior year, decided to come back, and his draft stock improved.  Un-fucking-deniable. 

You take those 4 + CJ who did improve, and add in the juniors who left at or near their max value, I repeat that is a pretty decent showing for a program that had plenty of other problems during the last 4 years.

But....I'll wait for that list of dozens and dozens of draft-worthy juniors did come back, but their draft stock fell.  Or, do I just get another "you don't watch football my god how can you say something different that what I'm saying" response?

It's really weird that this offends your sensibilities so much.

Edited by MirrOlure

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I watch plenty of football, and read plenty of "commentary" about the 275 "future first rounders" that show up to campuses every fall.  

I'm sorry that Senior Collin Johnson getting drafted earlier that Junior Collin Johnson would have (he wouldn't likely have been drafted at all) causes your panties to crawl up your ass.  My pulse rattled off four other seniors who did in fact improve their draft stock.   You take those 4 + CJ who did improve, and add in the juniors who left at or near their max value, I repeat that is a pretty decent showing for a program that had plenty of other problems during the last 4 years.

But....I'll wait for that list of dozens and dozens of draft-worthy juniors did come back, but their draft stock fell.  Or, do I just get another "you don't watch football my god how can you say something different that what I'm saying" response?

It's really weird that this offends your sensibilities so much.

I'm not going to go through your list one by one. The very first guy you held up as an example of someone who benefitted from staying was actually the exact opposite and hurt his stock by staying. You're doing a good plenty good enough job making yourself look stupid, I don't need to spend time doing it. Bottom line is that more, by a huge margin, players hurt their stock by playing for Herman for an additional year than improved their stock by staying. It's not even debatable. 

Have a good week. Don't forget your helmet when you leave the house.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I'm not going to go through your list one by one. The very first guy you held up as an example of someone who benefitted from staying was actually the exact opposite and hurt his stock by staying. You're doing a good plenty good enough job making yourself look stupid, I don't need to spend time doing it. Bottom line is that more, by a huge margin, players hurt their stock by playing for Herman for an additional year than improved their stock by staying. It's not even debatable. 

Have a good week. Don't forget your helmet when you leave the house.

The very first guy I held up was Devin Fucking Duverney who without any inkling of any doubt by anyone who doesn't spend every afternoon wiping sand out of their vagina knows drastically improved his draft stock during his senior year.  

And with that, I'm out......gotta order wings for the game.

NFL.com shows him put back on the practice squad this past Monday. Thomas, Smith, Harris, Calloway, Sanders were all active tonight. No other notice of putting him back on the active roster from NFL.com. He got 45 snaps last week with only 1 catch. Seems he was still on the practice squad.

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

NFL.com shows him put back on the practice squad this past Monday. Thomas, Smith, Harris, Calloway, Sanders were all active tonight. No other notice of putting him back on the active roster from NFL.com. He got 45 snaps last week with only 1 catch. Seems he was still on the practice squad.

Seems you're right. I must have mistaken someone else for him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...