The Outdoor Thread

Al_4_ISU

Have at it. 

A weird winter (60 degrees swings every week, snowstorms coming, then melting off, then freezing over) and busy life crap (wife and I going through IVF) kept me out of the woods for most of this winter, but got to get out a few weeks ago with a buddy and do some hiking at a place called Brush Creek Canyon near Arlington, Iowa.

E38gUTZ.jpg

TU7HrA8.jpg

ALA2isW.jpg

POcA9MU.jpg

• Like 1

I've got to learn how to post pics here. My last trip out was to the Olympic Peninsula Coast. Cape Flattery is one of the most beautiful places I have ever hiked to. Thanks for the pics AI_4_ISU. Looks like a great place to hike.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Winter here in SE Idaho was also weird. Basically, we had March in January and January in March. That translated to relatively shitty skiing and much-delayed mountain biking.

I should've fished more.

We had a bit of that dynamic going on.  Basically, winter never really "set in" here like it usually does, but it still hasn't left.  A constant cycle of cold and snow, then warm up and melt off a few days later, only to get cold and snowy a few days after everything had melted.  Not enough snow for snowmobiling/skiing but not good conditions for biking or hiking either.

December for us wasn't super snowy, but it was cold enough that the white stuff that did fall was able to accumulate ... until an inversion set in the week between Christmas and New Year's.

January brought record highs in the low 50s and melted all our snow. February came with a virus that tried to kill me, and the end of the month and the first 10 of March dumped ~100 inches on the ski hill.

The snow has melted, but more keeps falling on weekends and we still haven't cracked the upper 50s, so everything is a bit moist.

Fuck it, though. I'm hopping on my bike this afternoon and hitting some of the lower trails.