Hager with one tackle

XYZ

No I think that award goes to Omenihu. At least Hager can rush up the field. Other teams are just neutering what he does best. 
Uh, no... Omenihu gets better pressure, makes a couple plays here and there, and gets held constantly...

Hager just gets washed out or runs out of the play.

Neither is having even an average year, but Hager is on the verge of getting benched.

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Uh, no... Omenihu gets better pressure, makes a couple plays here and there, and gets held constantly...

Hager just gets washed out or runs out of the play.

Neither is having even an average year, but Hager is on the verge of getting benched.

Well we play in the big 12... I'm not seeing the same things as you. Sure Omenihu gets a play here and there but nothing to which expectations were coming into the season. He's a 4 year player with measurables you should expect more from and he's not delivering. Agree about Hager being benched but I'd also say Graham puts in better work rn than Omenihu. 

This is not to defend the guy, but the dude had the 2nd most tackles on the team and lead in other areas in the last year of Charlies defense. He will not have close to the same numbers in the combine two years of the Orlando Defense. 

I will take the Orlando defense any year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

This is not to defend the guy, but the dude had the 2nd most tackles on the team and lead in other areas in the last year of Charlies defense. He will not have close to the same numbers in the combine two years of the Orlando Defense. 

I will take the Orlando defense any year.

true, could be a system thing.  I'd still like him to be a backup LB to spell the starters once in a while.  He's a SR, so there's not much complaining to do. Besides, the defense is improving so his lower production isn't much to worry about. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

true, could be a system thing.  I'd still like him to be a backup LB to spell the starters once in a while.  He's a SR, so there's not much complaining to do. Besides, the defense is improving so his lower production isn't much to worry about. 

We might not even be talking about this if he didn't have some of the bone headed penalties. Be a freaking Captain or Leader.

Kind of hard to measure statistically: offensive linemen occupied, gaps held, ect...

If the defense is playing great - they were - the DL was doing their job. It ain't always going to show on the stat sheet. LBs and safetys are free to make the tackles because DL is holding the LOS and occupying the OL. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

LMAO....when have your eyes ever told you that Hair Boy is routinely occupying a lineman or holding a gap.

All the time. Watch the USC game.

2:07:15

There's a ton of plays like this where the pressure causes poor passes.

2:24:14 

Pushes a double team into the backfield.

Literally any time I skip around to defensive plays he is doing a great job doing his job.

• Like 1

3-4 ends don't normally have stats and I suspect msny of you are overreacting because you overrated both in the preseason. In general, Charles has been solid imo playing good, disciplined football. Hager, on the flip side, is entirely too inconsistent for my tastes, much less for a captain.

There is no question in my mind we would be getting more from the position if Roach, or even Graham, was playing more than Hager.

Edited by pacman

Perhaps it's schematic as well.  As a team, we have 4 sacks all year, 0 yesterday.  10 QBH (Hager is tied for the team lead with 2), 4 last night (Hager had 1).  Only 27 TFL's all season, 5 last night.  I don't think he's having a good season and he runs himself out of his responsibilities at least 1 a half which is maddening.  I also think schematically based on personnel and opponents we've faced, we're not letting guys loose on the edges to get to the QB.  I also don't think this is going to change that much.  

We seem to be doing a pretty good job against the run and harassing the passer. We tamed a good TCU offense. We're a solid tackling team that is fierce in the red zone. 

Hager is not an all-conference player. I guess that's a disappointment if I were only following him instead of the team. As it is, he's part of a tremendous defensive team, and I suspect those saying he's doing his part are correct.

I'll go further and say that his heart is one of the keys to getting the locker room to buy into Herman. That's likely invaluable.

• Like 1

Scheme. 3-4 tite, DEs are playing 4i.  Their job is to draw double team from G and T while plugging the B gap.  If they are undersized but quick the 4i will blow up a play that's pulling a guard by sliding through the B

Cause favorable mismatches elsewhere by using minimal numbers to stop the run.  In Orlandos system the DE is the most thankless position, it's the outside LBs and support secondary who are going to get the glory and the stats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

My $0.02:  He seems to have games where he's all over the place, having an impact.  Then quiet games, or net negative.  

He seems to never have these games.

The 2 DE’s are the worst part of our D. Great guys and solid leaders by all accounts but CO is stiff and lacks bend and Hagar is too light and lacks leg drive to be an impact end in P5. He doesn’t have the speed to make up for lack of power. As others have said however, we’re winning so life is good.

The shark is playing his best football. I’d like to see the younger ends play. I saw Bimage in on a few plays 

Edited by jdhorn92

9 hours ago, Zavala said:

Kind of hard to measure statistically: offensive linemen occupied, gaps held, ect...

If the defense is playing great - they were - the DL was doing their job. It ain't always going to show on the stat sheet. LBs and safetys are free to make the tackles because DL is holding the LOS and occupying the OL. 

Exactly. Cogs in the wheel. Just win. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

My $0.02:  He seems to have games where he's all over the place, having an impact.  Then quiet games, or net negative.  

Often defensive stats depend on the way an offense gameplans against a defense and the defense’s scheme against that offense. In other words, players can be the attack point of the defense and in the middle of things one week and not be that another week.

LBs should be the leading tacklers every week. 

• Like 1

Some weeks, I get the feeling that without the hair and storied last name he could be just be another guy jumping up and down in the sideline mob. Maybe wedge buster is his true calling.

Then again, the guy’s made some big plays in his career, and I believe he still has a few in him. If he wants to be a true impact guy, he needs to clean Kyler’s clock...even if takes some “accidental” targeting. 

On 9/23/2018 at 7:51 PM, jdhorn92 said:

The shark is playing his best football. 

I agree with this... which means that somebody up front is doing their job, too...  I think I saw Shark miss one tackle against TCU... otherwise, he played pretty well.

Edited by Snacks
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2018 at 7:51 PM, jdhorn92 said:

The 2 DE’s are the worst part of our D. Great guys and solid leaders by all accounts but CO is stiff and lacks bend and Hagar is too light and lacks leg drive to be an impact end in P5. He doesn’t have the speed to make up for lack of power. As others have said however, we’re winning so life is good.

The shark is playing his best football. I’d like to see the younger ends play. I saw Bimage in on a few plays 

poor omenihu.  much like ced reed, had a decent chance to be drafted after his junior year.  looks like UFA now.