Wanna feel old? Dazed & Confused turns 25 today

AUS-97HORN

holy fucking shit.  released Sept 24, 1993

thats 8 years longer than the time difference between when the movie was based vs when it was released.

I was less than 1 month into my freshmen semester at UT.

L I V I N

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/dazed-and-confused-25th-anniversary-728100/

You’re a pup, I think I’m about the same age as Linklater, which puts us in the same grade as the put upon 9th graders, tormented by assholes like the Affleck character. I’m from Tyler, which was probably a lot like Linklater’s Huntsville in the 70’s.

He really captured that era well, the aimless driving up and down streets, looking for something to do, the townie who stuck around and had to make friends with younger guys because his peers went off to college/started their lives (MM nailed it), the aforementioned living in fear of getting grabbed by an upper classman and having your head shaved, or ass beaten with a paddle.

D&C will always be one of my favorites.

csb alert/

I saw a night scene that was later cut being filmed.  A buddy and I were drunk and stumbled on the scene being filmed and were watching them set up.  We chatted up a PA for a while.  We got bored and started fucking around down the block, being loud.  Richard Linklater yelled at us to shut the fuck up.

So, there you go.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

csb alert/
I saw a night scene that was later cut being filmed.  A buddy and I were drunk and stumbled on the scene being filmed and were watching them set up.  We chatted up a PA for a while.  We got bored and started fucking around down the block, being loud.  Richard Linklater yelled at us to shut the fuck up.
So, there you go.

Which scene? I just finished watching 25 minutes of deleted scenes because I am bored at work.

The PA said something about a girl in the movie being from a poor background or something and not wanting a dude she was seeing she lived in a trailer.  I didn't see a sub plot about one of the kids being poor so I don't think it made it in.

It was in a residential neighborhood. Maybe it didn't even clear dailies.

Edited by Bateshorn

didn't realize it until 4 or 5 years ago that the gas n go where they do their 'beer run' is the Shell station right by Draught House

Back in 2003 or so, my younger brother and I tried to find all the major filming locations. Obviously, this was before all of them were easily found online. That shell station was one of the first we found. We didn’t find the baseball field (which is allandale, close to the baseball fields we originally suspected) nor the car wash where they clean off the girls after hazing. I think it was torn down.

Richard Linklater: But at that time, teen movies were John Hughes movies. There was so much drama. Maybe I’m an undramatic guy, but I remember a complete lack of anything big going on in high school. The essence of being a teen to me was a whole lot of energy and music but nothing much technically happening. On any given night there wasn’t a car wreck. There was no one impregnated, no huge love story from the wrong side of the tracks. 

--------------------

I think he pretty much describes in this paragraph why it is such an appealing film. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

didn't realize it until 4 or 5 years ago that the gas n go where they do their 'beer run' is the Shell station right by Draught House

Was Ballard's grocery back then. Went to school with one of the Ballard kids. You can just see the Draught House on the left as they peel off down the street.

Edited by Deej

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

That's what I love about those characters in the movie. I get older, they stay the same age. 

Yeah and the sleeping shop teacher in one of the High School (Bedichek) scenes was Mr. McFarland, my Bedichek shop teacher 15 years before the film was released, in 1978. Talk about making me feel old...   Furk.

Edited by wood

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Was Ballard's grocery back then. Went to school with one of the Ballard kids. You can just see the Draught House on the left as they peel off down the street.

Great family.  i grew up with the youngest one.  They owned a number of stores around the Austin area.  Just ran into the mom last weekend.  I knew a number of people in the movie as extras.

Played baseball on that field growing up.  A lot of those scenes were filmed in Allandale where I grew up.  The front yard that they cut through in the chase scene was lived in by a kid at my elementary schools house.  There is an old cemetery right behind it.  The were some scenes also shot Northwest rec center on Allandale/Koenig lane.

The hazing scenes were shot at a old movie theater on Hancock close to Burnet.