Recommend me a dishwasher

Sbbruin

We have now had our 3rd dishwasher fail on us.  Our fault for going cheap.  Whirlpool motherboard and heating element shot.  Repair guy said they are notorious for failing in less than 5 years.  What ever happened to the ones we grew up with?  I think my parents dishwasher lasted over 20 years.  I don't want to spend over $1,000, but I do want one that will last, and that I can stick truly dirty dishes into and they will come out clean.

What ever happened to the ones we grew up with?  I think my parents dishwasher lasted over 20 years....

A confluence of: new business theories of Planned Obsolescence, Chinese manufacturing, Gub’mint energy efficiency standards, EPA taking phosphates out of detergent (iirc).

We wore a mid/high level GE out in 4 years, and it didn’t clean great. Went with high end Kitchen Aid (has motorized nozzle system) about 3 years ago and it cleans really well, no problems. Also, you have to use the good detergent in the little packets, the big box of cascade sucks since they took the phosphates out.

We just replaced ours 2 weeks ago.  The Kitchen Aid units have been ranked tops in consumer surveys for a couple years. We had 2, and were never happy, but those were bought 10 years ago.

We just bought a Bosch.  Miele and Bosch are the industry leaders from all the research I just did. In the end I basically flipped a coin. Both are neck and neck in terms of cleaning, reliability and quiet operation.  That was refelected in at least 4 online sources.

You can not hear the Bosch running unless you stand right over it. They have a nice little feature:  A small orange light appears on the floor while its running.

Installed for less than a grand from Lowes, and they took the old one away.  Not their top of the line model, but right there.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

One year into Bosch 800 series. Been great so far and virtually silent. Tons of space. 

Only negative I’ve heard is the ones with a protruding handle instead of built in one is that the protruding handle can be knocked loose. 

Yeah, I'd rather it be a slimmer closer fitting hand, but then the panel would get scratched up by rings.  

We just replaced ours 2 weeks ago.  The Kitchen Aid units have been ranked tops in consumer surveys for a couple years. We had 2, and were never happy, but those were bought 10 years ago.
 We just bought a Bosch.  Miele and Bosch are the industry leaders from all the research I just did. In the end I basically flipped a coin. Both are neck and neck in terms of cleaning, reliability and quiet operation.  That was refelected in at least 4 online sources.
You can not hear the Bosch running unless you stand right over it. They have a nice little feature:  A small orange light appears on the floor while its running.
Installed for less than a grand from Lowes, and they took the old one away.  Not their top of the line model, but right there.

Similar story, similar choice. Very happy with choice. My brother had had the same (Bosch) dishwasher for several years, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Bosch or KitchenAid. Grab your ankles and get a higher end one. Silence is worth the money.

Seriously, it is amazing going from a noise monster in the kitchen to absolute silence. Use to be I had to turn the TV up in the living room whenever we ran the dish washer. Now, I can be standing in complete silence at the kitchen counter and not hear the damn thing. 

Edited by Dahobbs

we bought a kenmore elite about 5 years ago, and the only problem we had was with the drain pump. easy fix. it's probably a rebranded lg. very silent and was a few hundred less than a smaller capacity bosch. will it last 20 years? we'll never know since the wife will probably want to redo the kitchen yet again.

OK, while we are on the topic.  I hear people say they can put dishes in without rinsing and they are fully clean after the dishwasher runs.  Is that an actual thing?  I am OCD about rinsing and loading the dishwasher.  Do people really NOT rinse dishes before putting in the dishwasher.  If so, do they really come out spotless?

12 minutes ago, orange dream said:

OK, while we are on the topic.  I hear people say they can put dishes in without rinsing and they are fully clean after the dishwasher runs.  Is that an actual thing?  I am OCD about rinsing and loading the dishwasher.  Do people really NOT rinse dishes before putting in the dishwasher.  If so, do they really come out spotless?

I always give it a quick rinse. The wife puts it in there with half a pork chop sticking out of the mashed potatoes.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

I don’t think they have heating elements FYI. We’ve had KA in our last two houses with good results. Although it’s technically whirlpool so there’s that.

Bosch's doesn't have a heating element for drying. But they do have a heating system for the water. That is partly how they dry the dishes (super heat the water for last rinse and let it air dry basically). 

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/experience-bosch/tips-and-tricks/frequently_asked_questions_answered

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Based on what I've just finished researching, it's a coin flip on those two brands.

for most consumer goods, bosch plays at the low, mid, and high end, whereas miele is almost exclusively high end. 

bosch is also a part of a conglomerate along with siemens, neff, thermador, so there are r&d and manufacturing sharing with those brands and probably more for partnerships/co-branding.  miele remains private and is mostly, if not solely, produced in germany

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

bump - old frigidaire that was in the house when I bought it bit the dust.  Looks like I'm probably getting a Bosch.  Should I just buy from one of the big box stores and have them install, or has anyone had a particularly good experience with anywhere particular in Austin (78745)?