A Star is born

tbone_

Saw is yesterday.  I hated Cooper's vocal imitation of Elliott/Kristofferson but his performance was solid.  Really loved GaGa's performance, especially early when she was the 'country' version.  I've never listened to any of her music other that what passes by in the general environment, but she really impressed me.  Plus, she was actually pretty hot in the early part of the movie, until she became the 'pop star."    

Loved seeing musicians actually playing in the bands.  I spotted Lukas Nelson, Cory McCormick, Don Was, Victor Indrizzo, Jessie Siedinberg.    And of course Brandi Carlile.  

And Andrew Dice Clay and Michael Harney were hilarious.  

13 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I like Cooper and have no problems with gaga, but is fake twangy modern Nashville produced country music involved? Because I'll need to bring ice picks for me ears.

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Saw is yesterday.  I hated Cooper's vocal imitation of Elliott/Kristofferson but his performance was solid.  Really loved GaGa's performance, especially early when she was the 'country' version.  I've never listened to any of her music other that what passes by in the general environment, but she really impressed me.  Plus, she was actually pretty hot in the early part of the movie, until she became the 'pop star."    

Loved seeing musicians actually playing in the bands.  I spotted Lukas Nelson, Cory McCormick, Don Was, Victor Indrizzo, Jessie Siedinberg.    And of course Brandi Carlile.  

And Andrew Dice Clay and Michael Harney were hilarious.  

I'm pretty sure Willie's son did most of the music

On 10/9/2018 at 4:31 AM, DaysOff said:

I like Cooper and have no problems with gaga, but is fake twangy modern Nashville produced country music involved? Because I'll need to bring ice picks for me ears.

No.  The 'country' stuff is really good.  Isbell's song is incredible and has a story I've been trying to write for years.  The bad music is when her solo 'pop' career takes off.  Even the country songs that Gaga co-wrote (Shallow is one of them) is actually a well done song.  

• Like 2

After seeing the trailer a million times before every movie I have seen in 2018...I wasn't too interested, but glad my girl talked me into going.  I'm was a Cooper fan already, but this was one of his best performances.  He learned to sing 3 yrs ago, so it was aight I wasn't expecting great.  Great directing, music, storyline, cast chemistry.  Got a lil dusty in the theater when he told his brother he idolized him.  I almost called my brother up to talk.....but then remembered I don't have one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a lil dusty in the theater when he told his brother he idolized him. 

yeah that was definitely the part that got me the most.  even though the other thing was pretty sad as well.

also agree that gaga looks her best in the first half of the movie where it's just her and not all the painted up bullshit.  and man can she fucking sing.

also liked the song cooper sang at the drag bar while waiting for gaga to get ready. 

Wow, after reading all these comments I saw a different movie. Going back to "4th times a charm", they remake movies because they've got a great story, not because they suck.

Judy Garland version was the saddest, . Gaga was/is fantastic but still ain't Streisand.  Cooper was good , but ain't Kristofferson. I hated him for years because of the way he treated Streisand in that movie. 

The movie was fine kinda like today's fake ice cream is ok. 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:21 AM, hullabelew said:

No.  The 'country' stuff is really good.  Isbell's song is incredible and has a story I've been trying to write for years. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, BigOrange1 said:

also liked the song cooper sang at the drag bar while waiting for gaga to get ready. 

"maybe it's time" is the song jason isbell wrote for the movie.  i think it's the perfect song for the movie.  my only gripe is, to be consistent with BC's movie voice, he should've sung it in D major instead of G.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:14 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

If there's a god in heaven Sam Elliott will get the Oscar for this that he should've gotten for Big Lebowski

I mean... I love Sam Elliott, but an Oscar for The Big Lebowski? He did the opening narration and was in two scenes.

If anyone deserved an Oscar for Lebowski it was either Jeff Bridges or John Goodman.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, utxmike05 said:

Got a lil dusty in the theater when he told his brother he idolized him.  

I think if a tear rolled down his cheek right there while he was sitting in his truck after his bro closed the door, I would've lost it. I also think that's what will make or break an Oscar nom. Its that close.

Sam Elliot turning away to back up the truck while holding back tears absolutely punched me in the gut. That movie was designed to basically assault the emotions of every potential viewer and out of every one of those assaults, that's the one that really got me.

Gaga's in-the-bathroom wipedown of the important T zone was hilarious.

7 out of 10

Saw this with the wife last night, really really solid movie, I enjoyed it.  Is it a groundbreaking story....no.  I had been forced when I was a young surly to watch the 76 Babs/Kris version so I knew the basic outline of the plot and besides that if you've ever watched a single episode of Behind the Music you kind of know how things go.  Though clearly by the number of crying chicks at the end last night many must have never subscribed to VH1.  

That said the movie several times talks about how all music is basically the same set of notes in an octave over and over, repeat repeat repeat....and it's how the artist plays those 12 notes that defines them.  I thought this movie did a really good job on the 12 notes of rise, trouble, tragedy.   Gaga is great, it's obviously not a stretch for her to play a singer who hits it big but she could have also easily blown that thing in some of the moments that required a bit more acting nuance and she didn't.  What can you say? that chick has assloads of talent.  You can nitpick the voice a bit but the Sac was great.  He nailed the talented functioning alcoholic/drug addict teetering on going over the edge character.  I don't know if either of them will will win an Oscar for their roles but Sam Elliott absolutely should for his supporting role for a lot of the reasons already mentioned  Finally one of the scenes that I enjoyed the most is when Noodles and Jack are talking outside Noodles house.  I felt like the speech Chappelle was giving Cooper there was basically Chappelle giving a speech on what he had learned in real life through his ordeals dealing with success, fame and being happy with who he was.

Like others I liked the earlier music stuff rather than the later stuff.  

Can't wait to see this version after reading all of the comments here.   Like a previous poster mentioned, I saw the '76 version even though I didn't want to the better half convinced me and I thought the movie was great.  If you haven't seen the movie check it out.  Also, the soundtrack from that movie is pretty damned good with the exception of a few songs it's worth checking out as well.   KK and Babs definitely kick some ass.

Saw it the other night and enjoyed it. I thought Lady Gaga stole the show. Her musical talent is incredible but her acting also held up very well.

I like Bradley Cooper but I grew a little tired of the “talk in a deep voice while staring at the ground” part. I realize that’s the character, but it felt like a bit and I wanted someone to smack him and tell him to knock it off.

Anyways, good movie and I’m glad I saw it.

Saw it couple of nights ago.  It was a good movie, with some strong performances (notably Elliott and Gaga) and good movie music.  I had seen a couple of interviews with Cooper and he described this as a much different story than previous iterations, but that's not true at all.  Yes, it's got it's own take and edge but it's the same basic plot as the 70's version.  The 70's version's music doesn't hold up all that great so I can understand the desire to reboot it.... once again.  I'll say, it's a bit choppy in it's editing and can sometimes introduce ideas and characters abruptly so the inexperience of a first time director can bee seen.  I have a feeling a ton of footage was left on the cutting room floor.  It also drags a tad, especially in the last hour but I enjoyed myself.  The first hour is really good....

• Like 1

I thought it was good overall and a great movie soundtrack. Acting was spot on. That said, the seminal scene where BC (spoiler) at the Grammys seemed over the top. It just didn't seem realistic. I don't watch a lot of award shows, but from what I've loosely followed in the entertainment world, nothing like that has happened before and the entertainment industry has no lack of hardcore alcohol/drug abusers. On top of that, the guy was a seasoned drunk and druggie, so I just don't see him going so out of control. That scene dictated the rest of the film, so the rest of the film seemed a bit contrived for me. Again, a really good movie, but a bit unrealistic in my mind. 

Spoiler

getting on stage, pissing himself, passing out drunk

I thought it was good overall and a great movie soundtrack. Acting was spot on. That said, the seminal scene where BC (spoiler) at the Grammys seemed over the top. It just didn't seem realistic. I don't watch a lot of award shows, but from what I've loosely followed in the entertainment world, nothing like that has happened before and the entertainment industry has no lack of hardcore alcohol/drug abusers. On top of that, the guy was a seasoned drunk and druggie, so I just don't see him going so out of control. That scene dictated the rest of the film, so the rest of the film seemed a bit contrived for me. Again, a really good movie, but a bit unrealistic in my mind. 
Spoiler getting on stage, pissing himself, passing out drunk

It was plausible. His brother propped him up for years, he wasnt there. His wife was occupied, but wasnt a good caretaker because he felt he had to lie to her. He was a piss drunk and pill popper.

saw it this past weekend not knowing much about the storyline other than it was a remake and was sad.  goddamn, that was a tear jerker.  cooper was great.  i don't think i've ever heard a lady gaga song before but she is a damn fine singer and her acting was surprisingly good.  really enjoyed it - one of the better movies i've seen this year (and I see 25-30 movies a year at the theater).  

On 10/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, utxmike05 said:

After seeing the trailer a million times before every movie I have seen in 2018...I wasn't too interested, but glad my girl talked me into going.  I'm was a Cooper fan already, but this was one of his best performances.  He learned to sing 3 yrs ago, so it was aight I wasn't expecting great.  Great directing, music, storyline, cast chemistry.  Got a lil dusty in the theater when he told his brother he idolized him.  I almost called my brother up to talk.....but then remembered I don't have one.

shit, you can call my brother, he just retired early and doesn't do a damn thing but sit in his house...

BTW, I realized there is no trailers or anything in this thread.  

Here's a few of the bigger songs in the movie which sort of shows the progression of the musical arc.  I'll put in ST because there is footage to the movie in some although they're all in trailers too.

Spoiler

His drawl on this song is a bit stilted in places, but it's lyrically a strong song.

I think this song ends up winning the Oscar for Best Song, although there's rumors the studio wants to push two other songs, which is silly.  This song is the film encapsulated.  Gaga and Ronson among the writers.

Introduces her more pop sound here and musically the pivot from rock/country to pop.

This is what I call the "Whitney song" that sort of is in all of these female musical movies now (Yes, I know it was originally a Dolly song).  It's basically a song that Whitney would have killed on which is big, theatrical, and supposedly emotional.

Also what's striking is how much Gaga looks and sounds like Liza Minelli.  Now, different genres and Gaga is more talented but looks like Gaga could be her daughter.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 10/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Sent lady friend to watch the flick...

482-F0756-2-CB2-4-E81-915-C-59349-EDB563
EA357-D65-876-B-4-EA9-802-C-70130-EFA46-

Your lady friend sounds kinda stupid so I'm assuming she's hot.  Pics?

As for the movie, very well done.  Cooper was totally believable as a single and Gaga was totally believable as an actress.  I forget how talented she is but still rather plain looking.  Andrew Dice Clay was great.  Same with Sam Elliott.

Some of you cried at the end of this?  Really?

Saw last night, thought it was totally fantastic. Loved the music, and thought Cooper, Gaga, and Elliott all just crushed it. The scene with Cooper and Elliott in the truck, damn. Not ashamed to admit got a bit dusty then, and dusty at the end. The initial Cooper/Gaga song on stage was a feels moment too to me.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i wish ... 

Hide contents

.. they did a better job with the initial cooper/gaga moment on stage.  somehow she knew how to sing that song, even the parts they hadn't sung in the parking lot the night before. 

I thought that was explainable, both by the fact that there certainly can be moments we don't see, and also by the "two musicians playing off each other and knowing where to go" angle.

Saw it this weekend.  Really enjoyed it.  Definitely got dusty at the end.

I thought the first hour was some of the better film making I've seen in years.  Cooper can direct.

Spoiler

The grammy scene was one of the most cringe inducing things I've ever watched.   I kept looking away because I acutely felt shame for BC's character.  I wasn't the only one.  The couple next to me where covering their eyes.

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i wish ... 

Reveal hidden contents

.. they did a better job with the initial cooper/gaga moment on stage.  somehow she knew how to sing that song, even the parts they hadn't sung in the parking lot the night before. 

It worked for me -- I heard it before seeing the movie and was surprised at how clunky it was as a composition. It made much better sense for me in the context of the movie...

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i wish ... 

Reveal hidden contents

Wasn't the only part not sung together in the parking lot the opening verse by Jack, which was just a derivation of her verse?  Regardless, the parking lot scene followed by that performance on stage sets the whole movie in motion.  You have to suspend some disbelief that they would pull it off flawlessly, but it still grabs you by the throat, and you have to let your feels push your head out of the way.

• Like 1