A Star is born

tbone_

On 11/11/2018 at 9:15 AM, South Austin said:

Mrs. South Austin and I saw this yesterday and were bawling at the end. Not a perfect movie, but one of the best films I've seen in the past five years. I've never really paid attention to Lady Gaga but knew she could sing, amd she also has some impressive acting talent as well.

I agree with this.  

The whole movie I kept thinking Bradley Cooper was doing his best Crazy Heart Jeff Bridges and doing it pretty well. 

• 3 weeks later...

just finished. tears galore. gah.

i never saw the KK/BS version... for some reason i kept thinking she was going to die, a breakdown or something. realized i had confused the story with The Rose, maybe i saw that as a kid and got them conflated in my mind.

anyway... many Oscar nods will be had, including Elliot. damn good movie. *sniff* 

On 12/15/2018 at 12:47 AM, mchookem said:

just finished. tears galore. gah.

I meant to post on this after I saw it weeks ago ... yeah, it got a little dusty for me, too, but not so much because of the story.  

For me it was Gaga's voice/singing performances. Just unbelievable, chill-inducing, awe-inspiring. No singer has ever had an effect on me the way she does. I've never seen/heard anyone outside an opera house who can project so much emotion & beauty with their voice. Just fantastic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 4:34 PM, Zombie said:

I thought it was good overall and a great movie soundtrack. Acting was spot on. That said, the seminal scene where BC (spoiler) at the Grammys seemed over the top. It just didn't seem realistic. I don't watch a lot of award shows, but from what I've loosely followed in the entertainment world, nothing like that has happened before and the entertainment industry has no lack of hardcore alcohol/drug abusers. On top of that, the guy was a seasoned drunk and druggie, so I just don't see him going so out of control. That scene dictated the rest of the film, so the rest of the film seemed a bit contrived for me. Again, a really good movie, but a bit unrealistic in my mind. 

Reveal hidden contents

getting on stage, pissing himself, passing out drunk

I loved the movie but had the same reaction. The guy has been a lifelong professional drunk ... felt like a stretch between that and guessing award shows have ushers but whatever. Still a great movie. No great movie critic here, but I thought most if it was fantastic. I always have loved Stephanie and Cooper. Didn't really get his voice, but again, whatever. Great movie that was both entertaining with great music and really gut punch of emotions. I had never seen or knew anything of the earlier versions, but told the old lady about 30' in: "this is not going to end well."

My daughter and I finally got around to watching this last week.  Her only comment was that Lady Gaga was pretty good when she wasn't dressed all crazy, which I agreed with.  Overall I didn't think it came anywhere close to the Babs/Kris version.  I didn't really like the fact they made Cooper a country star, even if his music wasn't very country.  Overall I thought Sam Elliott was the best part of the movie.  My daughter and I are going to watch the 1976 version so she can see what is was supposed to be like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter and I finally got around to watching this last week.  Her only comment was that Lady Gaga was pretty good when she wasn't dressed all crazy, which I agreed with.  Overall I didn't think it came anywhere close to the Babs/Kris version.  I didn't really like the fact they made Cooper a country star, even if his music wasn't very country.  Overall I thought Sam Elliott was the best part of the movie.  My daughter and I are going to watch the 1976 version so she can see what is was supposed to be like.

Damn right Babs & KK own it...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to seeing this . . . I'd say good, not great.  I liked Cooper more than Gaga, but part of that was the writing.  I didn't get the feeling early on that she was the kind of chick to fall for a drunk country rock dude, although they did eventually gel.  Cooper is certainly A-list talent at this point, and I think she'll get a lot more roles and probably kill a bunch of them.  She's just an incredibly electric performer at whatever she does.

It took me forever to figure out that was Andrew Dice Clay.  That was eye-opening when it finally hit.  He was quite good, as was Chapelle.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It took me forever to figure out that was Andrew Dice Clay.  That was eye-opening when it finally hit.  

You serious, Clark?  Because he looked and sounded exactly like Andrew Dice Clay.  Please don’t post that in the “No way is that the same actor” thread.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had never seen any version of the movie. I refuse on principle to use the term "Babs". I could not have identified Gaga, probably never laid my eyes on her. In any case, I'm not making comparisons.

It was obviously a fantastic movie. I don't even like that kind of music. Cooper was amazing. Chapelle, greatness as usual. Dice Clay, didn't recognize him not because he looked different but he played different and I never really paid attention to him. Sam Elliott is great as always. 

But the star was Gaga. She had the authenticity of a newbie. She was greatness. I mean fuck, she's not even attractive, still, every scene you're looking at her. Cooper too, but then her. You could see that Cooper was acting, doing what he'd done in movies before. But she just seemed 100% authentic. 

This is why they make movies. No fucking CGI, nothing blows up, just tell the story. Make the audience feel. It's partly why I hesitate with really good movies, because you lose control. Anyway, this is why movies are great even though most movies suck. Five stars for everybody. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great movie, the Grammy scene Went off the tracks, too over the top 

Elliott was damn great. Damn shame he was up against stiff competition for the oscar.

chappell is a damn damn great supporting actor. He needs to do more movies. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

Just watched this with the wife. I wasn’t sure about it halfway through, but by the end I liked it. Gaga was incredible and Cooper was good, but it sometimes felt like a Cooper vanity piece. Chappelle and Dice killed. Most human Dice has ever been.

Oddly the one plot point that pulled me out of the story was that he didn’t want use in ear monitors and save his hearing. That made no sense to me.

I’ve never seen any version but I knew from the jump that BC wasn’t going to make it. My other prediction was that slimy manager guy was gonna ask LG to get a nose job, but that didn’t happen.

He didn't want to use the ear things because as a performance artist he felt like it took the crowd out of it for him as he couldn't really hear them....there was a brief line to his brother about that when they were aruging over it.  Sort of like when a bipolar person doesn't want to take their meds for fear it "dulls them"