Jump to content
LTtxfan

2019 Transfer & Grad-Transfer Available Players

Recommended Posts

Already 1......Jalen McCleskey  (Okie Lite)

Oklahoma State slot receiver Jalen McCleskey will redshirt and transfer after the year for his final season, coach Mike Gundy announced Monday.

McCleskey, a native of Covington, Louisiana, has 167 career receptions for 1,865 yards and 17 touchdowns for the Cowboys. He ranks sixth all-time for OSU in receptions, ninth in touchdown catches.

Gundy said McCleskey didn't feel that he touched the ball enough. A new rule allows players to play in four games without burning a redshirt season, allowing McCleskey to be eligible to play in 2019 without being required to graduate.

This season, he had 15 catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns. In Saturday's loss to Texas Tech, McCleskey finished with four grabs for 52 yards.

McCleskey averaged 5.6 receptions per game in 2016, when he finished third in the Big 12 in receptions. That average is down to 3.8 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is going to be fascinating to watch - any guesses on which Longhorns players might be contemplating sitting out the rest of the season to transfer?  

Toneil might already be doing that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is going to be fascinating to watch - any guesses on which Longhorns players might be contemplating sitting out the rest of the season to transfer?  

Buechele and Carter come to mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

From the football board:

 

Clemson's Kelly Bryant has elected to transfer after being informed by Dabo that Bryant was no longer the starting QB.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/26/clemson-football-kelly-bryant-transfer/1427832002/

 

Holy shit he's one injury away from being the starting QB on a national title contender. At least wait until the season's over. What a dipshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:


Buechele and Carter come to mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Yeah - Carter seems the most likely to announce it.  My opinion of the Buechele situation has been that he and Herman have had an agreement since Buechele lost out on the starting job that Shane would only play if Ehlinger had an injury.  They weren't going to burn his RS just for occasional mop up duty.   While I expect Shane to transfer - I don't expect them to announce it until after the season.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holy shit he's one injury away from being the starting QB on a national title contender. At least wait until the season's over. What a dipshit.


Bryant is a senior, he can’t really wait and risk getting his redshirt burned. Especially when the staff has already moved on to the freshman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit he's one injury away from being the starting QB on a national title contender. At least wait until the season's over. What a dipshit.

I don't disagree with the injury point, but he can't wait until the end of the season. He has played in the first four games, if he plays in another game, he can't redshirt this season and would be out of eligibility for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit he's one injury away from being the starting QB on a national title contender. At least wait until the season's over. What a dipshit.

Let's say Lawrence gets hurt for a week or two. Do you think Bryant would be cool with filling in and using up his final year of eligibility for a game or two?

Or, would he rather focus on his grades and start looking the best situation for him in his final year to audition for the NFL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is some complicated shit for players, families, coaches, and teammates to work out. There's no real precedent at a mass market level for the sport. In the future, there will obviously be some better guidance to seek out or offer, but right now, it's kind of crazy to watch and think about from each perspective. If I were a teammate, I'd be pissed that a senior leader was walking out, simply because he has a fleeting hope of getting into the league if he goes somewhere else and looks different. Sure, Russell Wilson probably glimmers in Bryant's eyes, but he's an exception, not the norm.

For Texas, I'm sure Burt, Carter, and Buechele, as well as some others, are pondering a transfer, but none of them have played, so the urgency isn't there in the same way for them, I presume. This actually has me wondering about the rule. They're all already in class for the fall of 2018. How would any of them be eligible next year? Is that part of what's changed? No need to sit out a year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit he's one injury away from being the starting QB on a national title contender. At least wait until the season's over. What a dipshit.

Kelly Bryant is a surprise..... wonder if Dabo wishes he had waited one more week before this change??

This new 4 Game Rule gonna give Head Coaches headaches....😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it with Bryant at Clemson or guys like Carter and Shane who aren’t going to start here, but that is frankly some childish bullshit from McCleskey at Okie State.  He’s one of their starting WRs, has played a ton his whole career there, had 4 catches in the last game, and is going to transfer because he thinks he should get the ball more?  I wouldn’t want that headache if I’m another school.  It’s not like the guy is Randy Moss, either.

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I get it with Bryant at Clemson or guys like Carter and Shane who aren’t going to start here, but that is frankly some childish bullshit from McCleskey at Okie State.  He’s one of their starting WRs, has played a ton his whole career there, had 4 catches in the last game, and is going to transfer because he thinks he should get the ball more?  I wouldn’t want that headache if I’m another school.  It’s not like the guy is Randy Moss, either.

 

To be fair - that quote came from Gundy.  Maybe the kid was just tired of Gundy's bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is some complicated shit for players, families, coaches, and teammates to work out. There's no real precedent at a mass market level for the sport. In the future, there will obviously be some better guidance to seek out or offer, but right now, it's kind of crazy to watch and think about from each perspective. If I were a teammate, I'd be pissed that a senior leader was walking out, simply because he has a fleeting hope of getting into the league if he goes somewhere else and looks different. Sure, Russell Wilson probably glimmers in Bryant's eyes, but he's an exception, not the norm.

For Texas, I'm sure Burt, Carter, and Buechele, as well as some others, are pondering a transfer, but none of them have played, so the urgency isn't there in the same way for them, I presume. This actually has me wondering about the rule. They're all already in class for the fall of 2018. How would any of them be eligible next year? Is that part of what's changed? No need to sit out a year?

I wonder does Bryant still get Scholly for remainder of the Semester??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

 

Yeah - Carter seems the most likely to announce it.  My opinion of the Buechele situation has been that he and Herman have had an agreement since Buechele lost out on the starting job that Shane would only play if Ehlinger had an injury.  They weren't going to burn his RS just for occasional mop up duty.   While I expect Shane to transfer - I don't expect them to announce it until after the season.

I’m thinking the same. Which is good on both of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance they change the rule next yr to be for freshmen only? These wk 4 xfers seem like unforeseen/unintended results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

 

Yeah - Carter seems the most likely to announce it.  My opinion of the Buechele situation has been that he and Herman have had an agreement since Buechele lost out on the starting job that Shane would only play if Ehlinger had an injury.  They weren't going to burn his RS just for occasional mop up duty.   While I expect Shane to transfer - I don't expect them to announce it until after the season.

Besides KS I don't see any other mop up duty potential this year anyhow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Any chance they change the rule next yr to be for freshmen only? These wk 4 xfers seem like unforeseen/unintended results

This was my major argument against this proposal. Coaches are going to have to manage recruiting high school kids, players currently on the team, and players leaving other teams. Somewhere in there they have to coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bluto said:

Any chance they change the rule next yr to be for freshmen only? These wk 4 xfers seem like unforeseen/unintended results

i don't believe it's that they suited up, but that they saw at least one play on the field in 4 different games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This was my major argument against this proposal. Coaches are going to have to manage recruiting high school kids, players currently on the team, and players leaving other teams. Somewhere in there they have to coach.

The alternative perspective is that now players are no longer held captive by coaches/programs and can contribute in a meaningful role at a school that intends to give them that opportunity, rather than have their coach store them on a shelf to take down only when the player in front of them breaks. 

I'd suggest that these are the EXACT kids that this rule was created to empower. 

Edited by irishtexan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This was my major argument against this proposal. Coaches are going to have to manage recruiting high school kids, players currently on the team, and players leaving other teams. Somewhere in there they have to coach.

Not doubt these new transfer & redshirt rules may cause unintended consequences....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, the only thing this new rule about "being able to redshirt after playing in four games" changes is a kid's right to preserve a redshirt when he decides to transfer. It's not like this makes it easier for kids to transfer. It's just giving them opportunity to play more at their future destination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The alternative perspective is that now players are no longer held captive by coaches/programs and can contribute in a meaningful role at a school that intends to give them that opportunity, rather than have their coach store them on a shelf to take down only when the player in front of them breaks. 

I'd suggest that these are the EXACT kids that this rule was created to empower. 

I agree and had arguments for both sides. Maybe I was arguing with myself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it might make some teams try and use a little more depth at times to preserve players staying on the team and on the macro level, you may see some teams actually lose some critical depth if they handle their players poorly.  It's so hard to say as it's so new and it opens up possibilities that for the most part are giving players more empowerment and the ability to try and control their own future a little better than in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

To be fair, the only thing this new rule about "being able to redshirt after playing in four games" changes is a kid's right to preserve a redshirt when he decides to transfer. It's not like this makes it easier for kids to transfer. It's just giving them opportunity to play more at their future destination.

Some discussions on new transfer rules are that the one year waiting period before playing should be eliminated for transferring player.  Also don't forget about the new database rule and earlier access for other Schools to recruit transferring players..... May start Oct 15th.

New Rules:  

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing. 

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Corrected by "immamac"..... Now 2019..... Thanks "immamac"!!

Thank God he had time to correct that, what with him out running wild all the time.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Thank God he had time to correct that, what with him out running wild all the time.....

 "Immamac"

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be surprised if Estelle transfers. Even though he's been injured most of the time, he might've also been recruited over. Urquidez seems like another candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Estelle transfers. Even though he's been injured most of the time, he might've also been recruited over. Urquidez seems like another candidate.

I could see Urquidez go to UH with Briles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I could see Urquidez go to UH with Briles.

The problem with OL is they generally are content to sit and literally eat up a roster spot. We should encoutage him to transfer but odds are he will not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some other names and a quotes from Herman and Gundy in New ESPN article:

McCleskey and Bryant are joined by Oregon senior running back Taj Griffin, Arkansas wide receiver Jonathan Nance and Auburn receiver Nate Craig-Myers and tight end Jalen Harris, who all intend to redshirt and transfer at the end of the season.

Article Quote:

Texas coach Tom Herman said he and his staff are learning every week and coming up with new ideas daily to figure out which games to use his freshmen players.

"There will be some guys that maybe get injured early part of the season, and you maybe say, 'OK, let's take the middle couple games here and just not do anything at all and then use [the redshirt rule] at the end of the year,' and then you still get that year," Herman said. "That case can be made for a lot of true freshmen as well that we've held off of special teams. That might have been their only role back in the day, and you say, 'That's good enough for 10, 15 snaps a game on special teams, you're going to contribute.'

"But now it's like, 'Well if we can just save these, if we can get by on special teams toward the end of the season, we can have a mass shift in the personnel and use a bunch of fresh true freshmen who had two months of training with us as well.'"

Mike Gundy:  Allowing non-freshmen to utilize this rule could be an issue for roster management, according to Gundy.

"If I was just to throw something out there, probably should be a rule that would be consistent within your first two years of eligibility," Gundy said. "So the NCAA's going to have to take a hard look, because right now the rules, forget Jalen's situation, the rules don't allow us to add a number to that. So let's say you had five guys do it, well I'm playing with 80 instead of 85 on scholarship now and I can't replace those numbers, even at the semester."

 

Link to Article: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24803587/college-football-redshirt-rule-faq

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna get crazy for sure, and once more players become comfortable with the idea of free agency, the top teams will be ones that can preserve the best two deep at every position...and quality depth behind the top 2 could get dicey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free agency, college style. 

Think of all the guys who can take the SEC bag money from one school then transfer with a new, better contract.

 Rest assured, however it works aggy will do it wrong.  Can't think of how, but they will and we will get lulz.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Rest assured, however it works aggy will do it wrong.  Can't think of how, but they will and we will get lulz.  

They will probably count the spring game as an official result and fuck up all the calculations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ousux said:

Gonna get crazy for sure, and once more players become comfortable with the idea of free agency, the top teams will be ones that can preserve the best two deep at every position...and quality depth behind the top 2 could get dicey.

They will have to revisit this or it will go out of control and eliminate any parity that still exists.  or shit, maybe it will create more parity if the money's right.  I guess we will see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

They will probably count the spring game as an official result and fuck up all the calculations.

Already done. 2006, 10 win season, whoop!!!s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunter Renfrow  (WR) taking snaps at QB as a precaution for Clemson and would probably be 3rd QB.

Three QB transfers for Clemson in 2018 

1) Hunter Johnson

2) Zerrick Cooper

3) Kelly Bryant

 

"The top of the Clemson QB depth chart is simple.

Hunter Lawrence  ( Fr) has locked up the No. 1 spot and Chase Brice (Fr) is solidly No. 2.  But after that it gets interesting. Freshman Ben Batson is the only other scholarship quarterback, and he was recruited as a walk-on safety before switching to quarterback and being put on scholarship when Johnson transferred.

It seems more likely that senior receiver Hunter Renfrow, who has mastered the offense at this point, would be brought into the game if Clemson gets down to its No. 3 option. Renfrow has been taking snaps at practice this week."

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hunter Renfrow  (WR) taking snaps at QB as a precaution for Clemson and would probably be 3rd QB.

Three QB transfers for Clemson in 2018 

1) Hunter Johnson

2) Zerrick Cooper

3) Kelly Bryant

 

"The top of the Clemson QB depth chart is simple.

Trevor Lawrence  ( Fr) has locked up the No. 1 spot and Chase Brice (Fr) is solidly No. 2.  But after that it gets interesting. Freshman Ben Batson is the only other scholarship quarterback, and he was recruited as a walk-on safety before switching to quarterback and being put on scholarship when Johnson transferred.

It seems more likely that senior receiver Hunter Renfrow, who has mastered the offense at this point, would be brought into the game if Clemson gets down to its No. 3 option. Renfrow has been taking snaps at practice this week."

Correction: Trevor Lawrence (Fr) is starting QB....   

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hunter Renfrow  (WR) taking snaps at QB as a precaution for Clemson and would probably be 3rd QB.

Three QB transfers for Clemson in 2018 

1) Hunter Johnson

2) Zerrick Cooper

3) Kelly Bryant

 

"The top of the Clemson QB depth chart is simple.

Hunter Lawrence  ( Fr) has locked up the No. 1 spot and Chase Brice (Fr) is solidly No. 2.  But after that it gets interesting. Freshman Ben Batson is the only other scholarship quarterback, and he was recruited as a walk-on safety before switching to quarterback and being put on scholarship when Johnson transferred.

It seems more likely that senior receiver Hunter Renfrow, who has mastered the offense at this point, would be brought into the game if Clemson gets down to its No. 3 option. Renfrow has been taking snaps at practice this week."

Man Renfrow can do anything. He's a fun player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man Renfrow can do anything. He's a fun player.

He was a walk-on WR just like Dabo was at Alabama.  Would not be surprised to see Renfrow  become a Coach..... guys a winner!!

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is some complicated shit for players, families, coaches, and teammates to work out. There's no real precedent at a mass market level for the sport. In the future, there will obviously be some better guidance to seek out or offer, but right now, it's kind of crazy to watch and think about from each perspective. If I were a teammate, I'd be pissed that a senior leader was walking out, simply because he has a fleeting hope of getting into the league if he goes somewhere else and looks different. Sure, Russell Wilson probably glimmers in Bryant's eyes, but he's an exception, not the norm.

For Texas, I'm sure Burt, Carter, and Buechele, as well as some others, are pondering a transfer, but none of them have played, so the urgency isn't there in the same way for them, I presume. This actually has me wondering about the rule. They're all already in class for the fall of 2018. How would any of them be eligible next year? Is that part of what's changed? No need to sit out a year?

I think Kelly Bryant has already graduated from Clemson, so he could leave and start looking at graduate programs for whichever school he decides to go to in the spring. The rest I assume stay the rest of the semester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I could also see Boyce transferring since he's been passed. 

That would be foolish, since we're losing both starting CBs after this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I could also see Boyce transferring since he's been passed. 

He's already said this year he had no plans to do that. Doubt the staff will push him out, at least next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...