2019 Transfer & Grad-Transfer Available Players

LTtxfan

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Yuuuge get for us.  Jason Harris, grad transfer LB from powerhouse Illinois St.  This is what we've become?  We really need bodies at that position, though.

Can't believe you weren't chasing Juwon Mitchell with us, Arkansas, and Minnesota

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Grad transfers are tough for us, as our grad programs don't play ball with the AD on admissions like they do with undergrad.  So it is really tough to get guys in.

Neither do ours - Mitchell was just a late JUCO reclassifier who was able to turn into an immediately eligible 2019 recruit.

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

Bama gets an OL grad transfer from FSU. Didn't realize FSU had any OL worth taking

Saban keeps aggy from getting the grad-transfer FSU OL.... hahaha 😆😆😆

Landon Dickerson makes his transfer decision

By Dustin Lewis

Former Florida State offensive lineman Landon Dickerson had reportedly narrowed his eyes on two teams from the SEC West, Texas A&M, and Alabama, since entering the Transfer Portal last week. He’s quickly come to a decision. A source close to the offensive lineman tells NoleGameday that the North Carolina native will be transferring to one of the top programs in the nation, Alabama. Dickerson will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be able to play immediately able to play after graduating in the summer.

The 6-foot-6, 320-pound offensive lineman never really found his footing in Tallahassee. He had an outstanding true freshman season, starting the first seven games before suffering an ACL injury. Since then, Dickerson hasn’t been able to stay healthy. He started the first four games of 2017 but missed the final nine with injuries. And we know what happened in 2018, Dickerson was limited to just two games of action due to a multitude of ailments.

Dickerson has also had to go through three offensive line coaches in basically three seasons. Rick Trickett led the unit in Dickerson’s first two years until Greg Frey took over in 2018 as the new coaching staff settled in under Willie Taggart. FSU parted ways with Frey earlier this offseason and hired Randy Clements to take his place alongside new offensive coordinator Kendal Briles. That instability along with bad injury luck could be in large part why he decided to take a chance on starting fresh elsewhere.

It is a little surprising that Dickerson didn’t follow his former head coach Jimbo Fisher to College Station. Instead, he’ll try to make an impact on a team that has won two of the past four National Championships. Alabama returns just three starting offensive linemen so there’s certainly an opportunity for the former four-star recruit to find his way into the lineup. He has the talent, he just hasn’t been able to stay consistently healthy.

Maybe that’ll change in Tuscaloosa.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Chris Steele’s decision on going to usc. According to The Athletic 

For Oregon fans, that realization comes with surprise, maybe even shock, and disappointment. It was just three weeks ago that Steele, a four-star prospect who was one of the top-50 players nationally in the 2019 recruiting class, announced that he would transfer to Oregon after signing with Florida and going through spring practice with the Gators. That news, combined with the school’s best-ever recruiting class, continued to send expectations through the roof for the program. Even The Athletic got caught up in it: “Who says recruiting is over? Chris Steele’s transfer decision means Oregon’s class gets even better”

That was May 14. Tuesday, Steele was on the phone with Oregon coaches, telling them that he would not be coming to Eugene after all. Instead, he was headed to hometown USC — coincidentally the school that had earned his second commitment. As a high school sophomore, Steele pledged to UCLA. Then he flipped to USC before the start of his senior year, then re-opened his recruitment again. He announced his decision to sign with Florida during halftime of the All-American Bowl. Then came the transfer.

The Athletic reached out to Steele on Wednesday to talk about the past month. He agreed to a phone interview, saying, “People don’t always know the circumstances. There’s always a reason for everything. I think it would be good for them to know.”

So what’s happened over the past month since you left Florida?

Just because the NCAA works in a funny way, I don’t really want to talk about Florida. I have my statement written up to the NCAA. I left Florida because I was in a bad situation and I didn’t want to be in that type of environment. That’s the easiest way to sum up for me. I came back home. I had it in my mind that Coach (Mario) Cristobal and (cornerbacks) Coach Donte (Williams) were going to be the best coaches to support me and what I’m trying to do. But, unfortunately, just because I’m one of the top recruits in the country doesn’t always mean that life is going to work in my favor.

What do you mean?

My mom ended up getting laid off. It was going to be a financial hardship for her to be able to come watch me play. My mom has never missed one of my games before. Going to Oregon seemed like a really good idea. I still think that if I were to go there, I would do very well. During my visit (last week), Oregon paid for both my parents to go. But I usually take my little sister on my visits, and when we looked at plane tickets, they were like $450 for her. With my mom being laid off, it was financially going to be nearly impossible for them to be able to come support me and give me the support I need.

ChrisSteeleUF.jpg
Steele says he left Florida because ‘I didn’t want to be in that type of environment,’ and he never enrolled at Oregon before moving on to USC. (Courtesy of Florida Athletics)

When was she laid off?

They started talking about two weeks ago, right around the time I committed. She went to work on Monday and got her official notice. On June 16, she won’t have a job anymore with the school district. I don’t come from the wealthiest family, so financially it was going to be very hard. And then on top of that, my grandma is on dialysis. So with my mom losing her job, she’s going to be a provider for my grandma just to get a few dollars flowing in. And then, you know, I think it’ll just be a lot easier if I stayed home. I came to the decision that I’ll be able to support my mom financially. It doesn’t happen every day that an 18-year-old has to try and help support his family. It’s tough. But I mean, you have to make it work. That’s the reason why I’m not going to Oregon anymore. It was going to be too much for my parents. I know a lot of people don’t understand it, but recruits, players, we’re all human like everybody else. We deal with real-life situations. It was something that was important to me, my faith, family and football, and my education.

Emotionally, what has the past month been like for you?

The hardest thing for me was telling Coach Donte and Coach Cristobal. Me and Coach Donte, me and him, we have a completely different relationship than people understand. That dude is a real mentor, and I know whenever I get done playing football, I could GA for him. I know that he has my back in so many ways. It was so hard for me to tell him that I wasn’t coming just because I knew they were going to be upset about the situation. It’s very hard dealing with those things. The fan base just knows that Chris Steele was at Florida, transferred back out west and committed to Oregon and now he’s going to USC. It sounds like a lot, but if people really understood what went on — I definitely never expected any of this to happen. It is hard. I’m still an 18-year-old kid, and when I log on to social media and see people bashing me and talking about me being a clown, it kind of hurts. But at the end of the day, life goes on. You just have to prove everybody wrong.

Why didn’t you go to USC in the first place after leaving Florida?

They didn’t have a spot for me and I was completely fine with that. I was planning on going to Oregon anyway. That was really — for one, they didn’t have a spot and then the second thing is that my relationship with Coach Donte is better than any relationship I have with any other coach. I just felt like he’s the best person for my development and stuff.

What is it about him that made that relationship so strong?

Donte isn’t a recruiter. He never recruited with me. It was always just, “Chris, I care for you. I love you. I look at you as a little brother, so I’m going to tell you the facts and then you can run with it.” A lot of coaches don’t do that. They’re going to sell you on, “Oh, we have the best facility, we have the best stadium, we had 90,000 fans at a game.” But they don’t tell you about what’s really important and what really matters in life. I’ve known him since I was in eighth grade. He offered me when he was (an assistant) at Arizona, Nebraska and Oregon. I was always his guy. That’s what separated him from everyone else. When I told him that I wasn’t coming, he called me and let me know how he felt about the situation. But at the end of the day, he knows that people deal with real-life situations as well. That’s why I’ll always respect him as a coach and mentor in general.

When did you let them know?

I told them (Tuesday). I just want to thank Coach Cristobal and Coach Donte and the Oregon fan base for welcoming me with open arms. I know that even though people aren’t going to know the circumstances, or they might be upset, I just want them to know that I have a genuine love for the program.

Do you expect to be eligible to play this fall?

Yes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Unfortunate that his mom got "laid off." I wonder if she'll miraculously find a very well-paying job working for a USC donor.

Hey, USC is just looking out for the kid and his family out of the goodness of its heart. There aren't 100 other schools that would be willing to chea- I mean look out for him like that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Harvey-13605/

More:  South Carolina transfer Nick Harvey is heading back to his home state of Texas. The 2018 graduate transfer from Texas A&M to South Carolina will spend his final year of college football on the roster of North Texas. 

"God writes everybody their own story," Harvey wrote in his announcement on Twitter Monday night. "It’s all about you putting all your faith and trust in him! I am more than happy to announce that I will be continuing my playing career and The University of North Texas!"

After playing in only four games with the Gamecocks in 2018 and the appeal and approval for a sixth year of eligibility, Harvey announced on Jan. 18 his decision to transfer elsewhere. Harvey sustained a head injury, which stalled his season. He played against Coastal Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Missouri and logged six tackles with one tackle for loss. The defensive back repped at both corner and safety for the Gamecocks at the start of the season.

Harvey is one of 10 Gamecocks and one of six defensive backs to enter the transfer portal since the start of the 2018 season. 

Harvey becomes the sixth of those 10 transfer to find a new home. Running back Ty'Son Williams is going to BYU, offensive tackle Jesus Gibbs to Towson, defensive end Shameik Blackshear to TCU, safety Zay Brown to Chattanooga, cornerback Korey Banks to North Carolina A&T. Quarterback Darius Douglas, cornerback Jonathan Gipson, cornerback Tavyn Jackson and safety Javon Charleston have yet to announce their next schools. Carolina will welcome Maryland long snapper transfer Matt Oliveira, a position of need. 

A high four-star recruit in the Class of 2014, Harvey was the nation's No. 60 overall player by 247Sports Composite out of Richmond, Texas (Fort Bend Travis).

Edited by LTtxfan