"The Office" appreciation thread

Sbbruin

44 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

One of my favorite movies because I think I associated with it.  I graduated Texas in mid 90s and ended up working in a cube in Austin with a shitty boss for a few years after graduation.  I did just enough to get by and get experience so I could go get jobs I liked.  I also think I lived in those same apartments. 

I think you're looking for the Office Space thread.  lol

PS were your apartments called Morningwood?

BTW, I went to Steve Carells birthday party at a restaurant in Santa Monica weeks before the final episode came out. A girl I was dating worked on the show and got me a copy of the final script with him in it and the entire cast signed it for my birthday. I was worn to secrecy to not reveal it.

I hung out with Stanley and Phyllis most of the night, they were very cool and funny. Met everyone but Pam and Jim who I never saw there. Chatted up Angela quite a bit about Baylor, she’s a little hottie.

Steve was nice as hell, great time. I’ve got that copy around here somewhere if anyone wants to see it / csb

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

BTW, I went to Steve Carells birthday party at a restaurant in Santa Monica weeks before the final episode came out. A girl I was dating worked on the show and got me a copy of the final script with him in it and the entire cast signed it for my birthday. I was worn to secrecy to not reveal it.

I hung out with Stanley and Phyllis most of the night, they were very cool and funny. Met everyone but Pam and Jim who I never saw there. Chatted up Angela quite a bit about Baylor, she’s a little hottie.

Steve was nice as hell, great time. I’ve got that copy around here somewhere if anyone wants to see it / csb

Definite /csb. 

Edited by Zepol87

On 9/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, orange dream said:

It's Britney Bitch.

Kevin went to SMU in the early 90's.  Good friends with a friend of mine.

Love the episode when Holly meets Kevin and Dwight tells her he is "special". 

i-do-the-numbers.jpg

On 9/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, lateshow said:

Probably my favorite Creed moment was when he unknowingly walked into the middle of the Murder Mystery, doesn't say anything, then sprints out to his car and leaves. 

This was also good.

thanks-im-playing-alittle-hooky-from-wor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I didn't mind the later seasons. I thought the way they wrapped it up was pretty good actually.

I stopped watching the original run after Carell left and they spent what seemed like months trying to find the new boss, but I recently re-watched all the episodes (over a couple of months) on Netflix. It was surprising to me how much the show actually stayed funny throughout the run and the "new" characters were much stronger than I remembered. Really good writing and performances throughout.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

One of my favorite endings of all time and the song Creed sings gets me every time. I love the Nard Dog’s quote about wishing there was a way to know you are in the good old days while you are in them. That part really gets me for some reason. 

don't know the nard dog quote, but reading that reminded me of this one:

On 9/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, Vic Mackey said:

The British version was fucking terrible. Nothing redeeming about it. How many people quote and post moments about that shitty version? No one. There aren't any.

Dumb take.  The British one starts slow (so does the NBC version), but once it takes off around episode 3 or 4 it's flawless.  The BBC version feels more true to life and has a depth lacking in the NBC version.  The NBC version went to shit after season 4 or whenever Pam and Jim got together.

And the reason you don't hear people quoting the BBC version is because you live in Texas and not Manchester.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Dumb take.  The British one starts slow (so does the NBC version), but once it takes off around episode 3 or 4 it's flawless.  The BBC version feels more true to life and has a depth lacking in the NBC version.  The NBC version went to shit after season 4 or whenever Pam and Jim got together.

And the reason you don't hear people quoting the BBC version is because you live in Texas and not Manchester.

Yep, I ended up liking the British version as much if not better in certain aspects. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I have watched both. Took no time to watch the UK version because it was a total of what, 12 episodes? It was boring as hell. The US version blows it out of the water. And Monty Python is a British show and plenty of people over here talk about it. 

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have watched both. Took no time to watch the UK version because it was a total of what, 12 episodes? It was boring as hell. The US version blows it out of the water. And Monty Python is a British show and plenty of people over here talk about it. 

Yeah, the British version was so boring it only inspired half a dozen remakes in half a dozen languages including the one you like to watch. 

You don't have to like it, the comedy may not be your style, but it is objectively a great show and in many ways better than the U.S. version.  

I will admit there are things I prefer about the NBC version such as the background characters having a much bigger role and Dwight being funnier than Gareth.  

rainn wilson as dwight schrute is a virtuoso performance. he was given a role that would have been so easy to overplay and make cartoonish, and instead he produced one of the all time great sitcom characters. a seriously legendary performance. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

Regarding Dinner Party, here's an oral history of the episode:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/that-one-night-the-oral-history-of-the-greatest-office-episode-ever-629472/

EDIT:  And the camcorder on the tripod at the foot of the bed as Jan is giving the tour slays me every time.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Lou Loomis said:

I stopped watching the original run after Carell left and they spent what seemed like months trying to find the new boss, but I recently re-watched all the episodes (over a couple of months) on Netflix. It was surprising to me how much the show actually stayed funny throughout the run and the "new" characters were much stronger than I remembered. Really good writing and performances throughout.

Watching live vs binging is a completely different experience.  Waiting week to week you feel cheated with the bad episodes, but binging you they take up 22 minutes and you realize the good was still there.  I would have sworn up and down how awful the post Carell stuff was because I stuck with it live, but I binged everything not to long ago and I didn't think it was horrible.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Watching live vs binging is a completely different experience.  Waiting week to week you feel cheated with the bad episodes, but binging you they take up 22 minutes and you realize the good was still there.  I would have sworn up and down how awful the post Carell stuff was because I stuck with it live, but I binged everything not to long ago and I didn't think it was horrible.

I agree. It wasn't horrible, and it did have some real funny parts. However, it wasn't near the show that it was seasons 2-5. 

• 2 weeks later...
The British version was fucking terrible. Nothing redeeming about it. How many people quote and post moments about that shitty version? No one. There aren't any.

I do it all of the time because I’m awesome and the British Office was awesome.

When The Office first ran, I kind of identified with Halpert because he was smart and funny. Watching it again years later, drives home that Jim, while not a bad guy, maybe has a little too high an opinion of himself. (Which I can understand, when you work with Michael Scott and guys like Kevin and Phyllis, etc.) But it does make me look at Jim in a different light.

The phone-call scene where Jim unloads on Pam for not recording their kid or something always makes me want to kick Jim's ass. My favorite characters are definitely Pam and Dwight.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, Paper_jam said:

When The Office first ran, I kind of identified with Halpert because he was smart and funny. Watching it again years later, drives home that Jim, while not a bad guy, maybe has a little too high an opinion of himself. (Which I can understand, when you work with Michael Scott and guys like Kevin and Phyllis, etc.) But it does make me look at Jim in a different light.

The phone-call scene where Jim unloads on Pam for not recording their kid or something always makes me want to kick Jim's ass. My favorite characters are definitely Pam and Dwight.

1. Who told you that you were smart and funny?

2. You're right on Jim. Real smug.

3. After they get married, both Jim and Pam are awful.