"The Office" appreciation thread

Sbbruin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Deej said:

Read the oral history book about the show. They kept alluding to secondary characters who thought they deserved more than they were getting in later seasons, but it never dropped any names. Disappointing. 

Based on Kevin’s pod each cast member/writer/director/producer/crew seems overwhelmingly positive about their experiences on the show. So I’m not sure how much dirt was ever there. Only Creed voiced that they should have pulled the plug after Steve Carrell left. John Krasinski begged the producers to end the show after Season 9. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Based on Kevin’s pod each cast member/writer/director/producer/crew seems overwhelmingly positive about their experiences on the show. So I’m not sure how much dirt was ever there. Only Creed voiced that they should have pulled the plug after Steve Carrell left. John Krasinski begged the producers to end the show after Season 9. 

This came from producers and staff. Several claims that some members of on air talent got a bit too big for their britches. Making demands that didn’t suit their status, showing up late. Seemed like it started happening after Carrell left. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

This came from producers and staff. Several claims that some members of on air talent got a bit too big for their britches. Making demands that didn’t suit their status, showing up late. Seemed like it started happening after Carrell left. 

They gave John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer producers credits in Season 9. They would be good guesses. Craig Robinson and Ed Helms are the only other Seasons 8-9 cast members that were famous enough to have their demands taken seriously. 

Maybe Rainn Wilson was pissed when NBC told him they were passing on the Dwight spin off, but that news came out during Season 9.

The Steve Carrell stories from the Kevin pod are really touching. One of their make up artists was a cancer survivor and Carrell would carry her bag for her on set. The guy didn’t get famous until he was 40, so he certainly knows humility. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

It didn't sound like it was any of those actors. Just several mentions of cast members who thought they were in the zone of those you mentioned, but obviously weren't, and everyone were somewhat put out by it. 

It did specially mention that it pissed everyone off with all the time off they gave Ed Helms for movies when he was 13th on the call sheet, and the fact they made him the boss when they had to write him out for long stretches. Sounded like the cast and crew choice was Craig Robinson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Office kind of runs on a loop around here.  Need something to watch during a workout or when nothing else is on, The Office it is.  I don't think it is a stretch to say that there isn't a bad episode.  That's not to say every episode is stellar, but nothing I'm going to skip rewatching.

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

The Office kind of runs on a loop around here.  Need something to watch during a workout or when nothing else is on, The Office it is.  I don't think it is a stretch to say that there isn't a bad episode.  That's not to say every episode is stellar, but nothing I'm going to skip rewatching.

The mob boss episode is utter trash, as is the banker and pretty much anything in S8 and S9 minus a few episodes here and there. Pam “cheating” storyline was horrible and Andy was wasted for two full seasons. 

It didn't sound like it was any of those actors. Just several mentions of cast members who thought they were in the zone of those you mentioned, but obviously weren't, and everyone were somewhat put out by it. 
It did specially mention that it pissed everyone off with all the time off they gave Ed Helms for movies when he was 13th on the call sheet, and the fact they made him the boss when they had to write him out for long stretches. Sounded like the cast and crew choice was Craig Robinson. 

They should have written Helms out after 1 episode. He was a huge power down for me in this great show.

4 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

They should have written Helms out after 1 episode. He was a huge power down for me in this great show.

I agree. 

He got big after The Hangover and they tried to push him more and more. He was just annoying. Should have never come back after anger management. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Agreed. 

It’s why Parks and Rec is superior imo. 

Parks and Rec is just more well written, the characters are more believable/realistic, they pulled the plug earlier, and when things started to get too sappy and unbelievably perfect, things went wrong for the characters in the show.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The episode when Jim, Dwight, Stanley and that new girl went to Florida and the new girl was hitting on Jim, Stanley being the party guy and the whole bedbug thing in the hotel room were hilarious, imo.

Jim should have hit that.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Jan is a pedo right? Pam says in Season 9 that Hunter was 17 when Jan seduced him. Jan also has a creepy attraction to Clark, and turns him into her cabana boy. 

17 is legal in Texas not sure about PA though, but yeah the Clark bit was Jan liked the young guys.  I don't think the show tried to insinuate pedo level young though. 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Highly recommended reading (I'm halfway through it).  The oral history of The Office.  

One tidbit.  Bob Odenkirk almost won the role of Michael Scott.

41p76yWQ0FL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i was just reading about that.  after i saw that The Office was on Peacock, i started watching various clips, including the audition outtakes.  i saw the Odenkirk one, along with Seth Rogan and Adam Scott and several other famous people.  fascinating stuff.  that book looks interesting.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i was just reading about that.  after i saw that The Office was on Peacock, i started watching various clips, including the audition outtakes.  i saw the Odenkirk one, along with Seth Rogan and Adam Scott and several other famous people.  fascinating stuff.  that book looks interesting.

The author interviewed 86 people involved with the show, so it's about as complete as you could want from a perspective standpoint.

The layout of the book is incredible.  There's chapters per se, and then there are key episode chapters separate from the regular chapter structure (Dinner Party gets its own chapter, for example).  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Watching The Client now. I love this episode because it shows Michael as a sales guy, sliding back from his Peter Principle limit to the spot where he was competent. I don't really think that the UK Office and the US Office are all that comparable, but things like "Michael is actually good at sales", Michael genuinely cares about everyone (even if he has to get past his immaturity first), and Michael is *likable* despite being a world class idiot - that's what makes the US Office great in a way that the original never was. Steve Carell obviously is a huge part of that. 

Jim is not written for this purpose, but you could study him as the mediocre white guy catching breaks because he looks the part and is fairly likable.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bookman said:

A week or two ago I started watching this show. Never seen an episode before. The first season had its moments, but I'm through six episodes of the second season and it's really getting a lot better.

Whoever said stopping at Season 2 was peak, I’d say Season 3 (maybe that’s what they meant since Season 1 was only 6 episodes?).

I tell any friends watching for the first time to save themselves time and annoyance by jumping from Carrell’s last episode all the way to the final two of the series (AARM and Finale). Two years of writers trying to tip the comedy/drama ratio too much towards drama, Robert California saga, Jo Bennett, Gabe, Andy morphed into a bizarro Michael Scott, Jim & Pam going from most loved to most hated characters, celebrity cameos, etc. 

• 2 years later...