Survivor: David vs. Goliath

Chuckie Finster

On 10/17/2018 at 7:18 PM, Tired of Lurking said:

Damn, Probst? Did you really have to call Bi a quitter twice?

I couldn’t tell how serious the injury was and whether she actually had to quit.  It seemed more of a choice hence why Probst will call her out.  Perhaps she would have to sit out comps but that doesn’t mean you have to quit the show.  

Or perhaps she as more worried about her mma career.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I couldn’t tell how serious the injury was and whether she actually had to quit.  It seemed more of a choice hence why Probst will call her out.  Perhaps she would have to sit out comps but that doesn’t mean you have to quit the show.  

Or perhaps she as more worried about her mma career.

She also may have decided to remove herself from a burgeoning showmance with John, being a newlywed and such. 

23 hours ago, Lat22 said:

She also may have decided to remove herself from a burgeoning showmance with John, being a newlywed and such. 

John was allegedly getting close with Angelina, the former Goliath member who claims to be a financial expert, who is still in the game. Of course, John could have been taking multiple women to Slamtown.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was the gif I was thinking of when he gave the shit-eating grin.

Does anyone know what was going on there?  It reminds me of the Scoobie Doo gif where Fred says "that's my fetish".  The girls look like someone just lost a limb.  

Funny how I can be so involved in a season, but a few (ok, maybe more than a few) years later, I don’t remember most of those people. I do remember Sugar, I remember the smiling GIF guy and the old guy who was a complete bad ass school teacher who started the fake idol concept.

But Marcus and Keni? No clue.

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Funny how I can be so involved in a season, but a few (ok, maybe more than a few) years later, I don’t remember most of those people. I do remember Sugar, I remember the smiling GIF guy and the old guy who was a complete bad ass school teacher who started the fake idol concept.

But Marcus and Keni? No clue.

Totally agree. 

I am pretty sure that was after the merge and Marcus had the numbers on his side. The two girls that are shocked were on Marcus' original tribe hence their surprised looked and the smiling gif guy was on the opposing tribe and why he was so happy to see him gone. 

But back to your point they all seem to run together. I bet if you put pictures up of all the winners and runners up I wouldn't remember a lot of them. 

Also watched a couple of episodes of the first season on Amazon Prime. Holy shit, now I know why they add all the idols, those first few seasons were boring as fuck with so much TV time devoted to the lame bitching at camp and other non factors in the overall game. I still hate it but understand from a TV storytelling standpoint why they do it. 

Much like Big Brother, the first few seasons of Survivor cared a lot more about the social deprivation, isolation, etc., and they played up that angle. Remember how big a deal the one “luxury item”:was? 

Now, it’s a given most contestants are just fame whores who don’t care about the lack of communication, so they (for the most part) just ignore it, until the tearful family visits.

(They also used to have a lot of Fear Factor gross food challenges, eating slugs and drinking blood directly from a live animal. I guess Russell Hantz changed everything.)

15 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Much like Big Brother, the first few seasons of Survivor cared a lot more about the social deprivation, isolation, etc., and they played up that angle. Remember how big a deal the one “luxury item”:was? 

Now, it’s a given most contestants are just fame whores who don’t care about the lack of communication, so they (for the most part) just ignore it, until the tearful family visits.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case with all reality tv now. Most used to go on shows and then go back to their normal lives. Now it's all about staying on the show as long as you can to increase your instagram followers and make money promoting weight loss shakes and eye makeup. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:18 PM, Tired of Lurking said:

Damn, Probst? Did you really have to call Bi a quitter twice?

He's made a big deal in the past about people quitting when they don't have to. I remember reading an interview with him where he talks about the time and money investment they make into each castaway and how it feels like a total slap in the face when someone voluntarily quits.

21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Great ending wth the pathetic jacket plea, lulz.

Angelina is a pretty girl, but that ass in those yoga pants, her bottom half looks like Gus Grissom’s Liberty Bell 7.

Damn.  You beat me to it.  Watching her face @ tribal, I was getting flashbacks to Julie (circa Season 4).  She was the 1/2 or full Native American chick that Probst (I think) dated after the show.  Absolutely beautiful.  But, yes, the bottom half does not fit.

Julie.  Not the greatest picture per her face, but those that watched that season know.

G89439_b.jpg

None of the women this season seems to have her shit together.  Maybe one will emerge, but so far, I have not seen one that seems capable of taking charge of her own fate and playing a winning game. 

Christian is the obvious fan favorite.  It will be interesting to see how soon the others recognize how big of a threat he is and start targeting him.

58 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

If Gabby wasn't so dependent on Christian, she would have a shot. She has been surprisingly good in the physical challenges and I think there's potential for her to snake through with the cast of misfits. Just needs to stop being so desperate for social validation.

I understand what you mean here, but man, 90% of people in Gabby's age range spend most of their day being absolutely desperate for social validation.  It's science.  

Was that a nice comment?  Do you like me?

On 10/25/2018 at 5:47 AM, thrillhammer said:

lyrsa is unlikeable but natalie had to go.  finally I agree on a choice.

Well now your unlikable choice is gone too.  I'm not sure I would have kept Angelina in the game, but Mike was clearly worried about giant wrath if he helped send another one home. 

Merge next week.

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Well now your unlikable choice is gone too.  I'm not sure I would have kept Angelina in the game, but Mike was clearly worried about giant wrath if he helped send another one home. 

Merge next week.

Yeah, Mike had to do what was best for his game especially with them assuming the merge was coming since it was going to be 3 vs. 5. vs. 5 after that vote. 

Next week should be pretty good with everyone scrambling to see where everyone is at post merge. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:08 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn.  You beat me to it.  Watching her face @ tribal, I was getting flashbacks to Julie (circa Season 4).  She was the 1/2 or full Native American chick that Probst (I think) dated after the show.  Absolutely beautiful.  But, yes, the bottom half does not fit.

Julie.  Not the greatest picture per her face, but those that watched that season know.

G89439_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Because if it went to drawing rocks, he was at risk of getting booted?

This is correct.  

I'm not entirely sure the screenwriter would have been in anytrouble wirh the Goliath's had he voted out Angelina.  At the merge there's so much scrambling and whatnot that I doubt he'd be a target.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is correct.  

I'm not entirely sure the screenwriter would have been in anytrouble wirh the Goliath's had he voted out Angelina.  At the merge there's so much scrambling and whatnot that I doubt he'd be a target.

I agree.  I think his worrying was for nothing.  Sure, it's possible that after the merge, original alliances hold and all the Davids get eliminated first, but it's certainly not very likely.  Mike is ruled by paranoia, not reason.  Reason would have told him that he is not perceived as a threat.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:26 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Plus the odds that the Davids - assuming they have the upper hand - take him on as a vote are pretty high.  That being said, it's probably extremely hard not think about yourself in a vacuum on the island.  

Correct but then he's probably on the bottom of that "alliance". But as you pointed out that is probably all you think about when you are laying around not on challenges. 

It's a numbers game, I am not saying it was a great move but it gives him the best chance to make it further in the game. You can't win if you are already voted out. 

I only caught the last 20 minutes because my DVR decided it wasn't interested in recording it, so I'm not sure what is going on regarding the initial targeting of Christian.  I take it everyone now sees him as a threat?  If so, that's unfortunate, but he's been edited more favorably than anyone, so I don't expect him to go home anytime soon. 

Really would love to see a Goliath or two make a strong move that benefits the Davids.  It's time to play.  Somebody play.

In case you can't track it down, there are some people playing. And they're playing hard. I really hope their plan happens. 

Spoiler

Christian, Gabby, and Nick have made a deal with Mike, Allison, and Alec to turn on everyone else at the right time. In the mean time, Christian, Gabby, and Nick are going to act all hopeless and waiting for their head to be chopped off (Gabby is a pretty remarkable actress). That's why you saw Alec get the Brochachos to change the vote from Christian to Elizabeth. Presumably, Carl and Davie are the next sacrificial lambs, and it's at this point that Mike, Allison, and Alec will join voices with Christian, Gabby, and Nick to vote out the Goliaths.

It's a pretty brilliant plan and I hope it goes correctly. Alec and Christian are going to be final two.