X-Men Dark Phoenix

joeycovers

Well, the reshoots seem to imply a pretty significantly different movie than the original cut.  

This movie is at the long line of studio moves that involved Alita, Battle Angel and the Deadpool x-mas PG release.  If it sells in China, then it will all have been worth it.  If not, we might have seen the last xman film with this iteration of actors.

Wow. I missed the first trailer, and reading the thread I couldn't believe it would be THAT bad. I really liked FC and DOFP,  and the writing and cast seemed to play off each other well. Surely that would be enough to sustain DP.

Was I ever wrong. Lord that trailer looks horrible. And here's my ultimate issue with basically everything since Apocalypse ... Jean is the Omega. She is more powerful than all of the other mutants put together. She literally just "decided to wake up" and took care of Apocalypse in the last movie like she was taking a morning stretch. So the only possible way this works as a movie is for it to be HEAVILY character driven, and it MUST be a redemption story (because if jean grey decides to end the universe, well, bye). And that trailer showed a few tears and some tripe about family ... and a whole lot of people trying to fucking FIGHT her. jesus fuck.

2 hours ago, ajax said:

Owen Reece could turn Phoenix to dust no prob. But he's more interested in banging fat chicks.

So to completely derail this thread, I had to look up Reece. Then I started reading on Galactus. Then I began to wonder about the future of Marvel post-Thanos. Who becomes the next overwhelming evil for the newer Marvel hero's/rebooted X-men?

Skrulls might make a big push as Secret Invasion is said to be a favorite of Kevin Fiege. There's a reason they're the central villain in Captain Marvel. But if Fantastic Four is back with Marvel then you can expect Dr Doom and Galactus to be there shortly.  

19 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So to completely derail this thread, I had to look up Reece. Then I started reading on Galactus. Then I began to wonder about the future of Marvel post-Thanos. Who becomes the next overwhelming evil for the newer Marvel hero's/rebooted X-men?

My inner preteen comic book nerd was thinking a Watcher, probably Uatu. But unfortunately the middle aged version of that nerd googled it and apparently he dead so I got nothing 

23 minutes ago, MoJames said:

maybe thanos will win and we won't have to worry about it.

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Skrulls might make a big push as Secret Invasion is said to be a favorite of Kevin Fiege. There's a reason they're the central villain in Captain Marvel. But if Fantastic Four is back with Marvel then you can expect Dr Doom and Galactus to be there shortly.  

So the reboot of Fantastic Four is dead and Disney will rereboot it?

Just now, henrygandorf said:

maybe thanos will win and we won't have to worry about it.

Yeah, fuck Peter Parker.

54 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Galactus is a good guess. Or maybe Doom. Possibly that guy that throws boomerangs. I think his name is Boomerang.

I hope they don't do the Beyonder. That was lame.

2 hours ago, joeycovers said:

The fact that they have butchered Gambit and Rogue is the worst thing of all the X-Men films for me.  2nd would be the lack of villians. Magneto and Stryker seem to be in every film. 

They've butchered a lot of great characters. Storm and Cyclops are notable. Why is Storm a bit player and fucking Mystique of all people a major character? Emma Frost was fucking lame in the movie. She's supposed to be a badass.

And little stupid things like they made Alex Summers older than Scott? Why?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are silver surfer rights with F4 and also going from fox to Disney?  He seems like a good character to bring on for the next phase. 

I'd just like them to do the Thing right, for once. Although, even in the comics, they wrote around themselves to make Reed Richards the lead when the Thing was a hellalot more interesting. 

Silver Surfer was pretty cool as the herald of Galactus. When. he got his own comic, be became kind of a wandering flower child, and IMHO, less interesting.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:32 AM, Facemask said:

The fact that Mystique/Raven is a somewhat central focus in these films sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not anymore!!! 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Brock Sampson said:

This will suck.

This probably will be true, but apparently it did so well with test audiences and the trailer was so popular in Asia, they moved this to a summer release.  

I never read the comics but I as I understand it this is one of the most epic x-men stories. I just can’t get into Sophie as Jean. I thought Famke was really good and could probably shoulder an epic Dark Phoenix story, but Sophie doesn’t do it for me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rewatching the X-men movies with the kids (10 and 13). Famke was great as Jean (and a knockout), it’s too bad X3 sucked. X2 is still great.

I do like how they have somewhat understated Jean’s power throughout the series. As maybe the most powerful Marvel character I’m really hoping they bring it home in this one. Sophie was really good in the final GoT season IMO. I hope she can carry this.

• 2 weeks later...

So..... it’s nit that bad.  The overall story is fine, the special effects are very good, the fight scenes are pretty good so not that bad.  The bad is JLaw mails in her  performance, some of the overall arcs are silly and redundant (how overall is prof X going to be this dumb?), and the dialogue is eye rolling but it wasn’t FF terrible.  Sort of on par with the last one.  It doesn’t make sense with the last one but whatever.  End of an era of everything that was needed for marvel to really learn from and do better.  IM2 level with better fight scenes.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, UpperWestside said:

Was kinda indifferent to this movie. Not great, but not horrible. The villian part of it was lacking. 

This.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:21 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

So..... it’s nit that bad.  The overall story is fine, the special effects are very good, the fight scenes are pretty good so not that bad.  The bad is JLaw mails in her  performance, some of the overall arcs are silly and redundant (how overall is prof X going to be this dumb?), and the dialogue is eye rolling but it wasn’t FF terrible.  Sort of on par with the last one.

And this.

Didn’t hate it, but didn’t really enjoy it.  Just a rehash of the Phoenix part of X3 where they tried to awkwardly/unnaturally force in Jlaw, Beast and Magneto into the plot.  Add in forgettable villains and this was just not that great of a production.  I’ll be happy to see what the MCU can do with these characters.

Again, who knows what was the original vision of this movie, given they rightly sacked Bryan Singer for being a pedophile. The initial trailer was heavily panned and it was originally scheduled to be dumped in February, except it did well in China, so they sent it back for extensive reshoots and tried for a big summer blockbuster.

It made $140 million internationally, so it will probably earn it's production costs back eventually, but yeah, this is going out with a whimper. 

26 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

I know. And Dark Phoenix was worse than Apocalypse. 

What was so bad about Apocalypse? Maybe it's because i didn't read the comics, i can just go for the entertainment of the movie. I've liked them all, some more than others. 

4 hours ago, BERT said:

What was so bad about Apocalypse? Maybe it's because i didn't read the comics, i can just go for the entertainment of the movie. I've liked them all, some more than others. 

It was very slow, they didn't do Apocalypse justice, and there was some eye rolling aspects like Magneto, despite causing trillions of dollars of damage, no doubt killing numerous people and almost destroying the world simply gets to fly away.... well, you realized at the very end you were following evil incarnate so... no biggie!

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It was very slow, they didn't do Apocalypse justice, and there was some eye rolling aspects like Magneto, despite causing trillions of dollars of damage, no doubt killing numerous people and almost destroying the world simply gets to fly away.... well, you realized at the very end you were following evil incarnate so... no biggie!

Lol ah ok. I can see that. I’m hoping Marvel does Rogue correctly. She was one of my favorites when watching the cartoon growing up. And Gambit 

2 hours ago, BERT said:

Lol ah ok. I can see that. I’m hoping Marvel does Rogue correctly. She was one of my favorites when watching the cartoon growing up. And Gambit 

Rogue and Gambit were two of my favorite characters in the cartoon.