Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Rewatching season 1. Why does the cleanup crew wear Hazmat suits when they are going into Westworld to retrieve a host? Seems like they could be a little more discreet if they entered in western clothes, and there's no toxic exposure risk involved.

I assume it's because they are coming in contact with bio-waste, some that has been left rotting in the heat.  they probably think the hosts could not see/recognize them nor could wake up when put into a sleep mode.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:52 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Hollywood+Foreign+Press+Association+InSt

certainly not your mainstream tradition, but you gay or crazy with the ugly

On 3/29/2018 at 9:11 PM, bschoolprof said:

Yeah - ugly was too strong of a word.  She's just kinda odd looking to me.  Would def still smash though.  

The French have an expression for this, because of course they would. It's called "jolie laide."

Jolie laide (English translation: "beautiful ugly") is the French expression used to describe someone who is unconventionally beautiful. Snaggle teeth, a bump in the nose, closely set eyes are just a few examples of unconventional physical traits, which some might view as deformities, that are embraced under the notion of jolie laide. Although the concept of jolie laide recognizes that men act and women appear (as the writer John Berger once put it), it also recognizes that behind the visceral image lies an internal life.[1] As the literary critic Daphne Merkin put it, jolie laide is "a triumph of personality over physiognomy, the imposition of substance over surface."[1]

It is unclear when and where the term arose in French culture. Some have surmised that the term comes out of Serge Gainsbourg's song "Laide Jolie Laide."[2]

Celebrities commonly thought to encapsulate this notion include: Anjelica Huston whose "regal asymmetry defies the norms of magazine 'pretty'";[3] Sofia Coppola with her "introspective, girl-in-a-Vermeer-painting aura rather than the paint-by-numbers cheerleader vibe of Lindsay Lohan.";[1] Charlotte Gainsbourg with her "melancholic air and the vaguely awkward way she inhabits her lanky body".[2]The late Isabella Blow has also been described by this term.[4]

It's a notion I also strongly ascribe to. I think she was the hottest robot on the show.

Edited by bolverk

On 4/5/2018 at 10:48 PM, BlueGreySky said:

Rewatching season 1. So much different the second time through. Catching way more things that I missed or didn't understand first time around.

Everything makes so much more sense once you know that there are essentially 3 timelines at play.

This. Knowing from the beginning that "Bernard" interviewing Dolores is actually Arnold interviewing Dolores 34 years ago makes everything else flow a lot more.

However, even knowing that there are 3 timelines at play, its sometimes hard to know exactly which timeline Dolores is in for some scenes (some are obvious, as in when she is with William versus the Man in Black).

14 minutes ago, hornian said:

This. Knowing from the beginning that "Bernard" interviewing Dolores is actually Arnold interviewing Dolores 34 years ago makes everything else flow a lot more.

However, even knowing that there are 3 timelines at play, its sometimes hard to know exactly which timeline Dolores is in for some scenes (some are obvious, as in when she is with William versus the Man in Black).

i say there are "essentially" 3 timelines at play exactly because of your last remark.  i think we catch dolores on many different timelines at various points as she seeks to return to the center of the maze.

Edited by BlueGreySky

17 hours ago, bolverk said:

The French have an expression for this, because of course they would. It's called "jolie laide."

It's a notion I also strongly ascribe to. I think she was the hottest robot on the show.

She's fucking beautiful (the one that some of y'all think has "butterface") and I'm glad that she's in season 2. 

I've also always had a thing for Thandie Newton.  That accent alone is hot as Hell.

Edited by AnonymousInternetPoster

On 4/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

She's fucking beautiful (the one that some of y'all think has "butterface") and I'm glad that she's in season 2. 

I've also always had a thing for Thandie Newton.  That accent alone is hot as Hell.

She's a complete butterface sometimes, but if caught at the right angle with the right expression on her face she can be hot. But then she moves and it's back to butterface.

There's no way they actually do this, right? But if they do, we might need two threads.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/9/17216640/westworld-season-2-hbo-spoilers-reddit-ama-jonathan-nolan-lisa-joy

The creators of HBO’s Westworld have announced a novel plan to combat the perils of online spoiler culture: they’re going to give away all the big secrets from the show’s upcoming second season before a single episode airs. Creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy made the announcement today during a Reddit AMA, acknowledging the plan as a “potentially highly controversial decision.” They do say their cast is on board with the plan.

“If you guys agree, we’re going to post a video that lays out the plot (and twists and turns) of season 2. Everything. The whole sordid thing. Up front,” they wrote. “That way, the members of the community here who want the season spoiled for them can watch ahead, and then protect the rest of the community, and help to distinguish between what’s ‘theory’ and what’s spoiler.”

45 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

There's no way they actually do this, right? But if they do, we might need two threads.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/9/17216640/westworld-season-2-hbo-spoilers-reddit-ama-jonathan-nolan-lisa-joy

This would seem to undermine HBO's steadfast decision to go with appointment TV and not drop episodes all at once.  

On 4/7/2018 at 7:29 PM, hornian said:

just watch a little.  it won't spoil anything.  start at 2:13 to skip intro stuff we've already seen.

I don't understand. The problem with spoilers is when the story is already out there for people to knowm. Game of Thrones spoilers were terrible because a bunch of assholes read the books and decided to weaponize it against illiterati. With Westworld, there is no way for people to know how it will end, because there is no public source material. Why put it out there? You are encouraging the militant spoiler assholes out there...

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

They did.  It was glorious.

Would watch again. So much better watching a show when you know what's what and not having to pause and rewind. Also, easier to answer your wife's questions about "what is going on." I like the direction they have decided to take Dolores in this season.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, Captain Ron said:

Because most of you guys are lame (and think so little of the show creators), I will just post this here:

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/04/10/westworld-showrunners-rick-roll-the-internet-with-fake-spoiler-video/

That is greatness, just watched the first couple minutes and they pulled it off. So good. 

59 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

Awesome premiere. This may be obvious, but is the head Delos guy Logan?

I don’t think so. Ed Harris’s character is way older than that character. But maybe they have good gene treatments in the future to keep you younger?